“Great hostel right on the beach”
Review of Kauai Beach House

Kauai Beach House
Ranked #3 of 15 Speciality Lodging in Kapaa
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 24 July 2008

The Beach House is a great place for the budget traveler. I made my arrangements through their website. Make sure you confirm check-in times and driving directions from the website before arriving (my mistake). I attempted to call the listed numbers, however it was only an answering service referring you to the website (a person did not pick up).
When coming from Lihue airport, it's a bit tricky to find, especially if you're new to the area, in the dark and heavy rain like my situation! But note after passing the big Kapaa ABC store on your left, start to slow down & look for Scotty's BBQ and pull in to their lot. The Beach House is right next door, but the entrance to their back parking lot is through the BBQ's lot.
The front part of the property is where folks are allowed to smoke and listen to music late. Keep in mind this is a separate area from the sleeping/reading/kitchen quarters, which are smoke free and have a 9:30 pm lights out. Nice, since I had a super early flight.
Oscar was the main staffer I interacted with and he was very helpful and courteous. I stayed on the top floor in the bunk bed dorm and got a clean set of sheets when I checked in. The beds have curtains for privacy, and there are a number of bathrooms to accommodate everyone. The full baths downstairs are clean and new. The lanai view is breathtaking. The kitchen is fully equipped and they have refrigerators for your food. Be sure to keep food OUT of the sleeping area. Critters came into some food that I thought were in a sealed container, but I didn't seal it all the way. Best to be safe. (A grocery store is across the street.) Overall I had a very positive experience. I was looking for a cheap, safe, clean place to sleep -- and I got it plus the location was absolutely gorgeous. I was apprehensive because I was a solo female traveler, and some of the reviews for the Beach House ran the spectrum from terrible to fabulous. However, I am happy to report that this was an excellent bargain that I plan to return to again.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled solo

Reviewed 2 June 2008

This place was HORRIBLE.
We had a reservation, which we had confirmed several times via phone and e-mail, and yet we waited to be checked in for about two hours till finally deciding to find sheets and beds on our own. At about midnight, the owner drove in and started screaming "lights out!" from the parking lot, and then he and his friends had a raging party on the beach outside the property until the cops came and broke it up (at 3 in the morning.) Then he came into our dorm to "check up" on us -- we ended up sleeping in the car for what was left of the night.
I'm not even going to get into the state of the rooms, or how wet everything (including my bed) felt.
Do yourself a favor and get a reservation at a B&B.

• Stayed: February 2008, travelled with friends
3  Thank bigisland86
Reviewed 27 August 2007

if your looking for a four star luxury hotel dont go there.... you will be dissapointed.

if you are:

*a lone traveler looking to meet up with other travelers to check out the island this is the place for you.

*looking for a place right on the ocean in the heart of kapaa this is the place for you. (both bunk houses have a balcony with nothing between you and the ocean except a grass field- which, by the way, the manager while i was there, used to invite guests out to play frisbee, soccer, tight rope walking, and even salsa lessons! -another guest turned out to be teacher)

*young or old... young in spirit seems to be the only prerequisite there.

*hoping to receive some insight on places to go. the place has a such a home feel to it- and even a "one-big family" feel to it that some guests stay for a while... talk to them- they know places to go and things to do. the manager, the staff, and the owner are very knowledgeable and willing to chat. they even hooked me up to a guy that rents cars cheap.

ive stayed here previously and the staff was different. the owner seems to do a good job with hiring people that keep this place laid back and friendly. the place is clean. lots changed between my two visits there so the house (which the owner built) is in constant repair and improvement. quiet hours are reasonable and enforced. the winds off the ocean and the architecture of the house keep it breezy and cool.

it seems like the majority of people that write reviews do so cuz they were unhappy... reading what the people wrote here made me write this review because the place deserves applause. im the kind of traveller who just goes with little to no planning. this place welcomed me and got me to adapt and enjoy a slow paced, low key, mellow, island style kind of life.

• Stayed: September 2006, travelled solo
3  Thank pilgrimlife4me
Reviewed 1 March 2007

Firstly I think anyone planning to stay here should be aware that this place is really aimed at Backpackers and Not people who require/are expecting super clean and smart motel or hotel style accommodation!!!

I stayed here in 2005 as a single female backpacking traveller and found it to be very relaxing and friendly. There are a few long term residents living here, all of whom were friendly enough. The other travellers I met here were nice too.

The place itself is a bit of a mess with permanent ongoing renovations - to be honest I don't think the place will ever be finished though!!! I was in a dorm room just behind the kitchen, it has 8 beds in there and I felt totally comfortable with the other people that were in there, a random mix of travelling surfers, a couple of guys who seem to live there and a couple of fellow backpackers. The dorm is very scruffy and the bathroom across the corridor was pretty skanky but you have to bear in mind that presumably you'll only be spending limited time in those rooms anyway!!! The staff were laid back and friendly but don't expect anything to be ever be done quickly - that just isn't the vibe here!!!! The kitchen area was outdoors on a balcony and people seemed to be pretty good at keeping it tidy - I never cooked there myself but would have been quite happy to do so.

To sum up - if you're prepared to chill out, aren't bothered by shabby decor, linen and bathrooms and have an easygoing attitude then you'll probably find this place just fine.

If however you really want somewhere really clean with attentive staff and more of a motel experience then this won't be the place for you!!!!!

I actually liked it here myself!!!!!

• Stayed: May 2005, travelled solo
5  Thank SoloTravelGal
Reviewed 21 January 2007

This was the worst experience i had with the hostels i stayed in Hawaii. The place is HORRIBLE!!!! the only thing i thougt since i walked in was: YOU MUST BE KIDDING ME!!!
When i got to the airport i called to see if they could pick me up, as it was said they would do in the website, then they said no because the owner's daughter was sleeping already, which was the first signal of a non-professional place.
then i got a cab and went there: as i walk in, 4 people (all men) drinking and laughing. then they said we could go to our "bedroom". then we open the door, pummmmm!!!!
a bedroom so dirty, so disgusting, oh my gosh!!! the sheets did not fit the bed, the towels, i not even used them to dry myself after the shower, that by the way, the shower is a hose that comes out of the wall!!! when you sit on the toilet, you almost kiss the wall, because it is so tiny and DIRTY!!!
they said they are fixing the whole house but i doubt how that could get better, so that's why the bathroom has no ceiling, the tile on the floor is all broken down, the beds on the shared bedrooms are divided by fabrics hung on the ceiling...
so freaking nasty!!!
do a favor to yourself: DO NOVER STAY THERE!!!!

Stayed: January 2007
8  Thank catiusca
A TripAdvisor Member
montreal, quebec canada
Reviewed 1 August 2005

This is a scam. I paid the depost (about $175) in advance (NO REFUNDS). Arrived with my daughter and son-in-law, who are in their early twenties, so it's not because I'm an old fussy person that we hated this place. A hippy flop of the worst order, insecure, not updated since the sixties, dirty, disorganized. There was no one in charge, no one to greet us. I am sure they live on deposits from people (like me) who won't stay there, because our stay lasted about 15 minutes and we packed up and left. Have to admit it served as a reminder to me: if it sounds too good to be true, it is!

• Stayed: January 2004
11  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 21 July 2005

Wish I had seen the reviews here before my trip. This place is indeed, a dump. I expected little but the beach house was still a disappointment. Just a sampling: Room key was attached to metal cable loop which was frayed and made your hand bleed. Solution? Duct tape. Which is how they had also previously fixed the broken toilet seat. I have seen my share of dirty bathrooms but none with the health implications of duct tape on a toilet seat. There is a reason why toilet seats are made of easily cleanable material! And this is for a bathroom shared by many people. Next to my "room". With all the accompanying pipe noises. Did I mention that this bathroom had no mirror? The bathroom had no mirror (I guess only fancy hotels can afford that luxury). Oh, and the door to the "room" was one of those glass commercial doors that you'll see in convenience stores. Priceless. I only paid for a night and hightailed to TipTop Motel for the same price. Now, THAT was a clean, no-frills, inexpensive room. It was a bummer that I couldn't be in a more social environment as I had initally intended but the choice was obvious.

Stayed: July 2005
5  Thank ArcOfSky
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kapaa
Kauai Shores Hotel
Hotel Coral Reef
#3 of 11 in Kapaa
Plantation Hale Suites
Garden Island Inn Hotel

Been to Kauai Beach House? Share your experiences!