“Great location and very friendly people”
Review of Kauai Beach House

Kauai Beach House
Ranked #4 of 15 Speciality Lodging in Kapaa
GreenLeadersSilver level
Canada
“Great location and very friendly people”
Reviewed 29 April 2014

Came to Kauai for one week, and chose this place despite the very mixed reviews. Very happy with my choice!
- The location is great - every day when I woke up, the first thing I see is the ocean 50 meters in front of me. Right at the edge of Kapa'a town, so lots of restaurants and grocery stores within walking distance. About 1 hour drive to the Kalalau trail/Hanalei area or 1.5 hours drive the other way to the Waimea canyon.
- Very clean place! The staff are constantly cleaning the floor/kitchen/rooms/bathooms - I was very impressed with the cleanliness (obviously it's no hotel quality, but for a hostel I couldn't expect more)
- Staff are very friendly and the people who stay here are all very nice. I always felt 100% safe and never had to worry about my belongings. In many places where I travel you always have to lock up everything and you can sense that, but here I left my laptop and phone on my bed for full days without anyone ever touching it, and I haven't heard of one theft incidence from anyone. Everyone who stays here is very nice and social, a lot of the people who come end up staying for a long time so some of your fellow roommates have been there for weeks/months, which is a very nice mix. Definitely a great vibe. Everyone kept talking about "the energy" and "the spiritual change" they underwent here. I must admit I can't really relate to that or understand that, but I'm just mentioning this to give you an idea of the kind of people you'll run into here. Everyone has an interesting story and everybody was always generous and helpful.
- Very quiet and relaxed. Do not expect a party scene. Lights out at 9:30pm, so unless you have a kindle or a laptop, you literally can't do anything other than sit at the table and talk or go to bed :) This has been my first time traveling to a place like this, and honestly, it's very refreshing and relaxing.
- There are tons of roosters roaming around here, so you might get woken up by them sometimes. Very nature-y, enjoy it :)

If you're going to Kauai and not camping - I recommend this place!

Room Tip: The forms on the top floor overlooking the ocean give you a beautiful view and a nice breeze at nigh...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank deanat78

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
Cashmere
Reviewed 20 March 2014

I booked one night because of the mixed reviews. I ended up staying four. Great staff and people staying there. It's somewhat central to the island so it's a good base. Not the cleanest but not by any means a health threat. I thought the bathrooms were very clean. I had a great time there.

• Stayed March 2014
2 Thank J D
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed 20 March 2014

This place was like Heaven! Clean beds, bathrooms and incredible location but the people who were traveling through, living long term, working there and running the place were all so wonderful. If I could have stayed longer than 3 days on the island before jumping to Maui for a friend's wedding I may have never left. If you want 400 count sheets you should probably go somewhere else, but if you want a life affirming stay with magical people this is the spot!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank misslissm
Austin, Texas
Reviewed 19 March 2014 via mobile

While this hostel is one of the few places on kauai to stay for those on a budget, I cannot recommend it to travelers. The place is dirty, the staff is a bit slow and there are roaches. I don't care how cheap the room or bed is, you should not have to deal with roaches near your pillow! If you can, go camping at one of the islands beautiful parks instead.

Stayed March 2014
1 Thank Julesalana
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 28 February 2014

I've been staying at Kauai Beach House a couple of times and every moment I spent there became a memory that will last forever. It's located right on the beach, with a beautiful view that you never get tired of. You don't get only a clean bed, bathroom and all the other good stuff, but also the unique experience of a tree house, an open kitchen, an astonishing view of the Pacific ocean (you can snorkel right outside of the hostel and swim with the see turtles), and an awesome crew, which by the way are very helpful and chill. If you stay there for a while, you'll make friends for life, like I did. It's amazing!!!!! People come and go all the time, but the good vibes never leave. I love it!!
It's definitely more than just a hostel, It's my family far from home and I can't wait to go back. Mahalo everybody and keep the Aloha Spirit up!!!

• Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
Sacramento, California
Reviewed 25 February 2014

This place is run down. The bathrooms are moldy and stink. The open air room I stayed in... it rained during the night and was windy. The mist drifted directly into the room, leaving me cold and moist. And... being an open air room, I was killed by mosquitoes. There are people sleeping on the couches in the same place you register. There appear to be local transients that use this place as a regular living quarters (I will not say for sure, as I was only there for 2 days, but I am not the only reviewer mentioning this).

• Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Randy916
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed 10 February 2014

Well, there really is no better deal then $30 a night anywhere in Hawaii! For a week I spent $200 on accommodation.

Hawaii does not do all inclusive, so if you're going to Kauai to hike, check out the island…I can't see you spending too much time in your "room" anyways!! Spend less, view more!

If you have never stayed at a hostel, this is definitely off-beat. Bring a lock to secure your suitcase during the day to something stable :) although, there seems to be a high level of trust which is great!
- Very caring, and pleasant hippy staff
- A kitchen with all you need ( pans are a little sticky.. ), fridge for food storage
- A shower that bills itself as a full use bathroom
- Roosters offer a natural alarm clock (bring earplugs and you'll have a sound sleep),
- There are plugs and free wi-fi for all your electronic uses
- Beds in the female dorm were massive and heavy duty. Bunk beds where you don't even feel the person climb to the top. Curtains for privacy.
- Close proximity to The Kountry Kitchen Restaurant (GREAT house blend coffee and breakfast) as well as the downtown core of Kapaa
- THE OCEAN IS RIGHT OUT BACK! As I mentioned before, for the price…you are waking up to an ocean view. And in all my travelling experiences..you cannot beat that!

If you don't like sharing or are uncomfortable with open spaces this may not be your cup of tea. If you can handle living like a backpacker this is the better of the two hostels on the island.

Honestly the only complaint I had was the pans….

*I would recommend this to couples or people on a budget who want to spend money on experiences rather then a hotel*

• Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank DaRealAlliG
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kapaa
Hotel Coral Reef
Garden Island Inn
Garden Island Inn
#1 of 11 in Lihue
Plantation Hale Suites

Been to Kauai Beach House? Share your experiences!