Kauai Beach House
US$493
US$434
US$388
US$228
Kauai Shores Hotel(Kapaa)(Great Value!)
US$262
  • Pool
Plantation Hale Suites(Kapaa)(Great Value!)
US$283
US$262
US$314
  • Beachfront
Lae Nani(Kapaa)
  • Pool
All reviewsfemale dormthe kitchenrooftop terracebus stopbed dormrising sunhot showerclean sheetscommon areaslaid backquiet hoursenjoyed my staywake up earlyocean breezeamazing locationbike pathstayed longer
Reviewed 7 May 2014

I am a solo, adventurous, broke, friendly traveler and this place was perfect for me! It's a wonderful example of a specific vibe that you either dig or don't. If you're looking for an inexpensive place to chill on the beach, meet good peeps, and launch to awesome outdoors adventures- welcome home. If you're trying for a luxury vacation on the cheap...not so much-this is NOT a budget hotel.

Location: right in town and overlooking the beach, next to a bus stop and good coffee, ideal!

Facilities: colorful, lots of communal outdoor hangout space, well-supplied (and well-loved) kitchen, standard hostel dorm beds, balconies overlooking the ocean, connected to a restaurant/bar

Staff: Very laidback, not big on initial orientation/tour but ask and you shall recieve- I got good tips on the area and found everything I needed, let me store my big backpack in a locked closet while I adventured during the day

Vibe: Lots of longer-term guests, very quirky, tobacco/booze/420 friendly, all ages

• Stayed: May 2014
2  Thank Abigail M
Reviewed 29 April 2014

Came to Kauai for one week, and chose this place despite the very mixed reviews. Very happy with my choice!
- The location is great - every day when I woke up, the first thing I see is the ocean 50 meters in front of me. Right at the edge of Kapa'a town, so lots of restaurants and grocery stores within walking distance. About 1 hour drive to the Kalalau trail/Hanalei area or 1.5 hours drive the other way to the Waimea canyon.
- Very clean place! The staff are constantly cleaning the floor/kitchen/rooms/bathooms - I was very impressed with the cleanliness (obviously it's no hotel quality, but for a hostel I couldn't expect more)
- Staff are very friendly and the people who stay here are all very nice. I always felt 100% safe and never had to worry about my belongings. In many places where I travel you always have to lock up everything and you can sense that, but here I left my laptop and phone on my bed for full days without anyone ever touching it, and I haven't heard of one theft incidence from anyone. Everyone who stays here is very nice and social, a lot of the people who come end up staying for a long time so some of your fellow roommates have been there for weeks/months, which is a very nice mix. Definitely a great vibe. Everyone kept talking about "the energy" and "the spiritual change" they underwent here. I must admit I can't really relate to that or understand that, but I'm just mentioning this to give you an idea of the kind of people you'll run into here. Everyone has an interesting story and everybody was always generous and helpful.
- Very quiet and relaxed. Do not expect a party scene. Lights out at 9:30pm, so unless you have a kindle or a laptop, you literally can't do anything other than sit at the table and talk or go to bed :) This has been my first time traveling to a place like this, and honestly, it's very refreshing and relaxing.
- There are tons of roosters roaming around here, so you might get woken up by them sometimes. Very nature-y, enjoy it :)

If you're going to Kauai and not camping - I recommend this place!

Room Tip: The forms on the top floor overlooking the ocean give you a beautiful view and a nice breeze at night
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank deanat78
Reviewed 20 March 2014

I booked one night because of the mixed reviews. I ended up staying four. Great staff and people staying there. It's somewhat central to the island so it's a good base. Not the cleanest but not by any means a health threat. I thought the bathrooms were very clean. I had a great time there.

• Stayed: March 2014
2  Thank J D
Reviewed 20 March 2014

This place was like Heaven! Clean beds, bathrooms and incredible location but the people who were traveling through, living long term, working there and running the place were all so wonderful. If I could have stayed longer than 3 days on the island before jumping to Maui for a friend's wedding I may have never left. If you want 400 count sheets you should probably go somewhere else, but if you want a life affirming stay with magical people this is the spot!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank misslissm
Reviewed 19 March 2014 via mobile

While this hostel is one of the few places on kauai to stay for those on a budget, I cannot recommend it to travelers. The place is dirty, the staff is a bit slow and there are roaches. I don't care how cheap the room or bed is, you should not have to deal with roaches near your pillow! If you can, go camping at one of the islands beautiful parks instead.

Stayed: March 2014