Kauai Beach House
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation but we can search other options in Kapaa
See available hotels
  • Beachfront
View Hotel
All reviewsfemale dormthe kitchenrooftop terracebus stopbed dormrising sunhot showerclean sheetscommon areaslaid backquiet hoursenjoyed my staywake up earlyocean breezeamazing locationbike pathstayed longer
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 13 June 2014

If you want to stay at a hostel on Kaua'i, the choice is quite simple... For there are 2 hostels on Kaua'i! The 2 of them are in Kapa'a Town. Here are your options :
1) The International, consisting of a simple building with overcrowded dorms and dark bathrooms... Well, it's enough if you're just looking for a place to crash. You'll pay $30 for your night. That's fine...
OR... if you want more than a bed to spend the night...
2) The Kauai Beach House Hostel. So : here you'll find the bed you need BUT! You'll find more!
First of all : - The location! Just perfect! You're in the middle of Kapa'a, in a cute blue house surrounded by trees, next to every stores you need : food, food trucks, restaurants, surf shops, souvenir shops, healthy juices stores, bus stop and so on... You're also right ON THE BEACH! There's a lovely bike path just behind the Beach House that you can use to see the beautiful coastline and reach nice beaches. Also, Kapa'a being on the East coast, you can wake up and see gorgeous sunrises over the sea, sitted right on the balcony!
Then... - The people! If you come to the Hawaiian Islands and want to feel the Aloha spirit, well thisi is the right place to stay! People here are so welcoming! Sometimes, I must admit, you have to wait a little bit until you find someone to check you in! They are here! You just have to ask other guests where the person in charge is. He or she can be busy cleaning the house or having a nice conversation with a guest in the kitchen! This is not a Hilton Hotel! There is not always someone waiting at the desk... It's a cute hostel, family style with positive vibes!
I read a review where one of the staff guys was named... That is so rude... I don't see the point of doing this. Even more to say such things. I met that guy, talked to him few times and saw him talk to other guests. Well... if he's on another planet, I choose his planet! This guy, (just as the rest of the staff) is really a nice person. He helps as much as he can and gives advice about where to go (and not to go), what to do (and not to do). Sometimes you don't understand what he says, but that's only because he speaks Pidgin English! That's local, that's Hawai'i!
- About the cleanness. I read many things about that too... Well... Sure you can meet a roach or a lizard (they eat mosquitos, and that's super cool!)... Once again it's not a white, clinical and cold Hilton... The nature is all around... The staff is here to clean! I saw it. Everyday, all day long! But I also saw backpacks, wide open, with food inside. And that's the reason why roaches are attracted. You can't always blame the cleaners! Have some respect and some common sense and everything will be ok! And of course the sheets are clean too, that's important.

As a conclusion I would say that if you're someone adventurous, nature lover, that you're open minded and want to feel the real atmosphere of this island and discover all you can do over there, that you're looking for more than a bed, you'll find everything you need there!
Oh I almost forgot... Dorm beds are $30 a night!

I really look forward to going back there!

Aloha!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 30 May 2014

After reading the reviews on Kaua'is hostels I was turned off and went camping for the most time on this island. But this hostel is actually a little gem. New people are running it since February, and it seems like they're doing a great job and put a lot of effort into making this place a warm and welcoming place to stay for people on a budget. Met a lot of really nice people here and the cleanliness might not be up to par with hotels, but hey, it's still a hostel and with that fact in mind, it's absolutely okay or even good. Long story short: Give it a try :)

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank Michel_RTW
Reviewed 7 May 2014

I am a solo, adventurous, broke, friendly traveler and this place was perfect for me! It's a wonderful example of a specific vibe that you either dig or don't. If you're looking for an inexpensive place to chill on the beach, meet good peeps, and launch to awesome outdoors adventures- welcome home. If you're trying for a luxury vacation on the cheap...not so much-this is NOT a budget hotel.

Location: right in town and overlooking the beach, next to a bus stop and good coffee, ideal!

Facilities: colorful, lots of communal outdoor hangout space, well-supplied (and well-loved) kitchen, standard hostel dorm beds, balconies overlooking the ocean, connected to a restaurant/bar

Staff: Very laidback, not big on initial orientation/tour but ask and you shall recieve- I got good tips on the area and found everything I needed, let me store my big backpack in a locked closet while I adventured during the day

Vibe: Lots of longer-term guests, very quirky, tobacco/booze/420 friendly, all ages

• Stayed: May 2014
2  Thank Abigail M
Reviewed 29 April 2014

Came to Kauai for one week, and chose this place despite the very mixed reviews. Very happy with my choice!
- The location is great - every day when I woke up, the first thing I see is the ocean 50 meters in front of me. Right at the edge of Kapa'a town, so lots of restaurants and grocery stores within walking distance. About 1 hour drive to the Kalalau trail/Hanalei area or 1.5 hours drive the other way to the Waimea canyon.
- Very clean place! The staff are constantly cleaning the floor/kitchen/rooms/bathooms - I was very impressed with the cleanliness (obviously it's no hotel quality, but for a hostel I couldn't expect more)
- Staff are very friendly and the people who stay here are all very nice. I always felt 100% safe and never had to worry about my belongings. In many places where I travel you always have to lock up everything and you can sense that, but here I left my laptop and phone on my bed for full days without anyone ever touching it, and I haven't heard of one theft incidence from anyone. Everyone who stays here is very nice and social, a lot of the people who come end up staying for a long time so some of your fellow roommates have been there for weeks/months, which is a very nice mix. Definitely a great vibe. Everyone kept talking about "the energy" and "the spiritual change" they underwent here. I must admit I can't really relate to that or understand that, but I'm just mentioning this to give you an idea of the kind of people you'll run into here. Everyone has an interesting story and everybody was always generous and helpful.
- Very quiet and relaxed. Do not expect a party scene. Lights out at 9:30pm, so unless you have a kindle or a laptop, you literally can't do anything other than sit at the table and talk or go to bed :) This has been my first time traveling to a place like this, and honestly, it's very refreshing and relaxing.
- There are tons of roosters roaming around here, so you might get woken up by them sometimes. Very nature-y, enjoy it :)

If you're going to Kauai and not camping - I recommend this place!

Room Tip: The forms on the top floor overlooking the ocean give you a beautiful view and a nice breeze at night
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank deanat78
Reviewed 20 March 2014

I booked one night because of the mixed reviews. I ended up staying four. Great staff and people staying there. It's somewhat central to the island so it's a good base. Not the cleanest but not by any means a health threat. I thought the bathrooms were very clean. I had a great time there.

• Stayed: March 2014