Kauai Beach House
Courtyard
  • Beachfront
US$419
US$319
Plantation Hale Suites(Kapaa)(Great Value!)
US$256
TripAdvisor
  • Pool
All reviewsfemale dormthe kitchenrooftop terracebus stopbed dormrising sunhot showerclean sheetscommon areaslaid backquiet hoursenjoyed my staywake up earlyocean breezeamazing locationbike pathstayed longer
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 25 July 2008

I just came back from Kauai, and let me tell you, I am so glad that I stayed at the Beach House. Even if I had the money to stay in a hotel, I would not have traded it for the experience.
The people who work there are very friendly and laid back. This is a no hurry, very non-pretentious atmosphere. I felt by the end of the trip that I was one of the family. We ate together and drank together and had really good times. I also met some great people who were visiting, and I ended up exploring the island with them.
The Beach House is very open air. Open doors, open windows, and sheltered outdoor areas to hang out. The bathrooms are cleaned everyday, and you never have to wait to use one. No problems with running out of hot water. The kitchen has cooking ware that you can use, a modern electric stove, a toaster oven, a microwave, a blender, a full size fridge, and a double sink. There's plenty of Kauai brochures and magazines around for you to plan your day, and for those of you who for some reason are in Kauai but don't want to be exploring, there's a t.v. with comfy couches (I only watched it once, briefly).
You won't have trouble sleeping. Lights out is at 9:30, and you get the trade winds lulling you to sleep on fairly comfortable beds with clean sheets. If you still want to hang out, there's the pavilion outside or the garage. But lots of people go to bed early and wake up early--your body just kind of wants to do that in Kauai.
In terms of the location: it really is right on the beach! There's a beautiful beach a two minute walk away, and Kealia Beach is maybe 10 minutes down the bike path. There's plenty of markets, restaurants and cafes in Kapa'a, and tourist shops if that's your thing, as well as locally made crafts (go to the Glass Shack where they hand blow glass right in front of you!).
I miss my home away from home. Love to Oscar, Jay, Robert, Brian, Scotty, Kyle, and everyone else who keeps the Beach House beautiful and irie.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled solo
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank aquaticponyfish
Reviewed 24 July 2008

The Beach House is a great place for the budget traveler. I made my arrangements through their website. Make sure you confirm check-in times and driving directions from the website before arriving (my mistake). I attempted to call the listed numbers, however it was only an answering service referring you to the website (a person did not pick up).
When coming from Lihue airport, it's a bit tricky to find, especially if you're new to the area, in the dark and heavy rain like my situation! But note after passing the big Kapaa ABC store on your left, start to slow down & look for Scotty's BBQ and pull in to their lot. The Beach House is right next door, but the entrance to their back parking lot is through the BBQ's lot.
The front part of the property is where folks are allowed to smoke and listen to music late. Keep in mind this is a separate area from the sleeping/reading/kitchen quarters, which are smoke free and have a 9:30 pm lights out. Nice, since I had a super early flight.
Oscar was the main staffer I interacted with and he was very helpful and courteous. I stayed on the top floor in the bunk bed dorm and got a clean set of sheets when I checked in. The beds have curtains for privacy, and there are a number of bathrooms to accommodate everyone. The full baths downstairs are clean and new. The lanai view is breathtaking. The kitchen is fully equipped and they have refrigerators for your food. Be sure to keep food OUT of the sleeping area. Critters came into some food that I thought were in a sealed container, but I didn't seal it all the way. Best to be safe. (A grocery store is across the street.) Overall I had a very positive experience. I was looking for a cheap, safe, clean place to sleep -- and I got it plus the location was absolutely gorgeous. I was apprehensive because I was a solo female traveler, and some of the reviews for the Beach House ran the spectrum from terrible to fabulous. However, I am happy to report that this was an excellent bargain that I plan to return to again.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled solo
Reviewed 2 June 2008

This place was HORRIBLE.
We had a reservation, which we had confirmed several times via phone and e-mail, and yet we waited to be checked in for about two hours till finally deciding to find sheets and beds on our own. At about midnight, the owner drove in and started screaming "lights out!" from the parking lot, and then he and his friends had a raging party on the beach outside the property until the cops came and broke it up (at 3 in the morning.) Then he came into our dorm to "check up" on us -- we ended up sleeping in the car for what was left of the night.
I'm not even going to get into the state of the rooms, or how wet everything (including my bed) felt.
Do yourself a favor and get a reservation at a B&B.

• Stayed: February 2008, travelled with friends
4  Thank bigisland86
Reviewed 27 August 2007

if your looking for a four star luxury hotel dont go there.... you will be dissapointed.

if you are:

*a lone traveler looking to meet up with other travelers to check out the island this is the place for you.

*looking for a place right on the ocean in the heart of kapaa this is the place for you. (both bunk houses have a balcony with nothing between you and the ocean except a grass field- which, by the way, the manager while i was there, used to invite guests out to play frisbee, soccer, tight rope walking, and even salsa lessons! -another guest turned out to be teacher)

*young or old... young in spirit seems to be the only prerequisite there.

*hoping to receive some insight on places to go. the place has a such a home feel to it- and even a "one-big family" feel to it that some guests stay for a while... talk to them- they know places to go and things to do. the manager, the staff, and the owner are very knowledgeable and willing to chat. they even hooked me up to a guy that rents cars cheap.

ive stayed here previously and the staff was different. the owner seems to do a good job with hiring people that keep this place laid back and friendly. the place is clean. lots changed between my two visits there so the house (which the owner built) is in constant repair and improvement. quiet hours are reasonable and enforced. the winds off the ocean and the architecture of the house keep it breezy and cool.

it seems like the majority of people that write reviews do so cuz they were unhappy... reading what the people wrote here made me write this review because the place deserves applause. im the kind of traveller who just goes with little to no planning. this place welcomed me and got me to adapt and enjoy a slow paced, low key, mellow, island style kind of life.

• Stayed: September 2006, travelled solo
3  Thank pilgrimlife4me
Reviewed 1 March 2007

Firstly I think anyone planning to stay here should be aware that this place is really aimed at Backpackers and Not people who require/are expecting super clean and smart motel or hotel style accommodation!!!

I stayed here in 2005 as a single female backpacking traveller and found it to be very relaxing and friendly. There are a few long term residents living here, all of whom were friendly enough. The other travellers I met here were nice too.

The place itself is a bit of a mess with permanent ongoing renovations - to be honest I don't think the place will ever be finished though!!! I was in a dorm room just behind the kitchen, it has 8 beds in there and I felt totally comfortable with the other people that were in there, a random mix of travelling surfers, a couple of guys who seem to live there and a couple of fellow backpackers. The dorm is very scruffy and the bathroom across the corridor was pretty skanky but you have to bear in mind that presumably you'll only be spending limited time in those rooms anyway!!! The staff were laid back and friendly but don't expect anything to be ever be done quickly - that just isn't the vibe here!!!! The kitchen area was outdoors on a balcony and people seemed to be pretty good at keeping it tidy - I never cooked there myself but would have been quite happy to do so.

To sum up - if you're prepared to chill out, aren't bothered by shabby decor, linen and bathrooms and have an easygoing attitude then you'll probably find this place just fine.

If however you really want somewhere really clean with attentive staff and more of a motel experience then this won't be the place for you!!!!!

I actually liked it here myself!!!!!

• Stayed: May 2005, travelled solo