“Horrible”

GreenLeadersSilver level
usa
“Horrible”
Reviewed 21 January 2007

This was the worst experience i had with the hostels i stayed in Hawaii. The place is HORRIBLE!!!! the only thing i thougt since i walked in was: YOU MUST BE KIDDING ME!!!
When i got to the airport i called to see if they could pick me up, as it was said they would do in the website, then they said no because the owner's daughter was sleeping already, which was the first signal of a non-professional place.
then i got a cab and went there: as i walk in, 4 people (all men) drinking and laughing. then they said we could go to our "bedroom". then we open the door, pummmmm!!!!
a bedroom so dirty, so disgusting, oh my gosh!!! the sheets did not fit the bed, the towels, i not even used them to dry myself after the shower, that by the way, the shower is a hose that comes out of the wall!!! when you sit on the toilet, you almost kiss the wall, because it is so tiny and DIRTY!!!
they said they are fixing the whole house but i doubt how that could get better, so that's why the bathroom has no ceiling, the tile on the floor is all broken down, the beds on the shared bedrooms are divided by fabrics hung on the ceiling...
so freaking nasty!!!
do a favor to yourself: DO NOVER STAY THERE!!!!

Stayed January 2007
8 Thank catiusca

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
Reviewed 1 August 2005

This is a scam. I paid the depost (about $175) in advance (NO REFUNDS). Arrived with my daughter and son-in-law, who are in their early twenties, so it's not because I'm an old fussy person that we hated this place. A hippy flop of the worst order, insecure, not updated since the sixties, dirty, disorganized. There was no one in charge, no one to greet us. I am sure they live on deposits from people (like me) who won't stay there, because our stay lasted about 15 minutes and we packed up and left. Have to admit it served as a reminder to me: if it sounds too good to be true, it is!

• Stayed January 2004
11 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Salt Lake City, Utah
Reviewed 21 July 2005

Wish I had seen the reviews here before my trip. This place is indeed, a dump. I expected little but the beach house was still a disappointment. Just a sampling: Room key was attached to metal cable loop which was frayed and made your hand bleed. Solution? Duct tape. Which is how they had also previously fixed the broken toilet seat. I have seen my share of dirty bathrooms but none with the health implications of duct tape on a toilet seat. There is a reason why toilet seats are made of easily cleanable material! And this is for a bathroom shared by many people. Next to my "room". With all the accompanying pipe noises. Did I mention that this bathroom had no mirror? The bathroom had no mirror (I guess only fancy hotels can afford that luxury). Oh, and the door to the "room" was one of those glass commercial doors that you'll see in convenience stores. Priceless. I only paid for a night and hightailed to TipTop Motel for the same price. Now, THAT was a clean, no-frills, inexpensive room. It was a bummer that I couldn't be in a more social environment as I had initally intended but the choice was obvious.

Stayed July 2005
5 Thank ArcOfSky
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed 21 March 2005

I stayed here for 5 nights, in a private room. It wasn't bad enough that we had to leave, but next time I'd be willing to spend more money to stay somewhere ALOT nicer.

The good parts: it really is right on the water; beautiful sunrises and ocean breezes. People were friendly and respectful. There were never dirty dishes sitting in the sink, and the public areas were quiet by 10:30, which is good since we could hear EVERYTHING from our room. Staying in Kapa'a was a good base for travel as it's equally close to the north and south shores.

The bad parts: everything was dirty, the bathroom was mildewy. Our private room wasn't very private as the windows wouldn't even close and we could hear everything going on outside (and they could hear us). Some of the bunk rooms are just mattresses on the floor with sheets hanging for privacy. The entire place is easily accessible from the street; the bunk rooms do not have locking doors (but I guess safety isn't really an issue like it is other places). I only met 2 staff members. They were nice, but very laid back. We had to sit around for 2 hours after we got there, waiting for someone to show up to let us into our room. They say they're in the process of remodeling, but I think that's a constant state rather than temporary.

This place is good for people who want to pay as little as possible to crash somewhere and then go out all day to enjoy the ocean. But for a vacation, it was disappointing.

• Stayed March 2005
7 Thank cabbagemagic
Reviewed 20 December 2003

I booked a private room($50) and it was a box. At night it was so sweltering hot I had to open the door which left us wide open to the bunking area and anybody. No fan, broken window, and a very shared bathroom that was scum city. I left and got a dream B & B for the same price for the remainder of my stay.

4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 16 October 2003

Kauai is Hawaii's most beautiful island by far. We stayed at the Kauai BeachHouse for 2 weeks. The BeachHouse is fabulous and located right on the water in front of Kauai's Blue Lagoon. We even got a nice car there for $120 week. There's a store across the street. Their web site has many tropical pics. www.Kauai-Blue-Lagoon.com The Kauai BeachHouse turned out to be a great choice and totally affordable for $50 for private rooms and $23 for shared accommodation.

2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 25 July 2003

Warning, this place is a DUMP. Diry matress on the floor gringy rug. We reserved the private room w/king bed the room was litterly as big as the bed no room to even turn around. the shared bathroom was so old and diry i flelt i needed a bath after using it. Sheets you had to put on the bed yourself were old worn and not matching. It was so bad we could not even bare to stay one night despite the nearly $200 non-refundable deposit I put down for the room. the rearby beach was rocky and unswimable. I saw no private lagoon as indicated on their website. It was next door to a community center so there were lots of kids running around everywere. Heed my warning stay away from this place.

• Stayed July 2004
4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kapaa
Kauai Shores Hotel
Garden Island Inn
Garden Island Inn
#1 of 11 in Lihue
Plantation Hale Suites

Been to Kauai Beach House? Share your experiences!