“Timing is everything, however...”

Deep Sea Fishing Kauai
Reviewed 15 February 2014

We went out with Capt. J and first mate Jeff in the last week of January. A storm had come through at the beginning of the week, and we had hoped that Saturday would be calmed down. Not so lucky.... we still had rollers in the 8 foot range that were nothing to them, but to a flat-lander from Texas, they were tough to take. Even with a double Dramamine, I spent a good deal of the time in misery, while we dragged a bunch of artificial lures through the waves at a pretty good clip. The only thing that kept me from losing my cookies was the Capt.s suggestions that I lay down; I thought he was nuts at the time, but he was spot on! It really helped!!
Anyway, I can't claim to know much about fishing in Hawaii, but I would have thought live bait might have worked better (it does on mainland fish), and more variation in speed and/or tactics to try and get the fish. We did hook a few though in the 6 hour trip; one got away but we landed a nice Mahi Mahi and a skipjack tuna (Aku) that were both in the 20-poiund range.

On the negative side, it was supposed to be a "share" trip, with us getting some of the fish we caught. That didn't happen. We got NO Mahi, as they wanted it whole to sell in the market. (Apparently, they won't buy fish that have been cut). And we didn't get any of the tuna I caught. Instead, they cut up a small skipjack and a small wahoo that they said were caught on the evening charter the day before.

On the positive side:
a) we did leave with two large ziplocks full of fish -- Aku and Wahoo --probably 10-12 pounds. It was plenty for FOUR meals for FOUR people over the five days. And it was incredibly good -- I took the Captains advice and used the tuna's bone structure to define 4 "triangles" from each of the filets, then grilled them on a very hot grill for just a minute or two on each of the 3 sides to leave a nice pink/red center. It was absolutely delicious. The Wahoo is a nice tightly-flaked white fish, and was also very tasty.
b) the Captain was nice enough to take us, even though he did not fill the boat. It was just me and a ride-along buddy on a 6-hour charter. Many operators would have cancelled us out or tried to rebook; after all, the cost of fuel and paying the first mate probably took up a big chunk of what he got from us. For that reason, I can easily understand why he wanted the Mahi for the market instead of sharing it out.
c)Both of them we really nice guys and did their best to make it a good trip...althought I'd class Capt. J as a bit of a 'cowboy' when it comes to judging the severity of the seas/weather as it might appear to a flat-lander, he knows his boats and his fishing. It was a real pleasure to make his acquaintance, and I look forward to a future opportunity to go after the Big One that got away. bobw.

1  Thank BobW75087
"once in a lifetime"
"bucket list"
in 4 reviews

Reviewed 18 January 2014

Captain and his helper were pretty darn happy when we caught some bait. Started out the morning with - you never know how this going to go.

When we actually start catching some tuna, you would have thought we won the Super Bowl. Captain and helper were ecstatic.
- you don't get to hook the fish.
- the captain on several occasions grabbed pole from several "clients" (because he was concerned that they didn't know what they were doing) and ultimately really acted like a jerk in the process. Certainly understand the concern of making suree they knew what they were doing, it was just the way he did it that made most on board pretty uncomfortable.

When we got back to dock, he was super rude to the next group waiting for their 4 hr. trip.

Catching a few fish was overshadowed by the experience with the captain (who obviously didn't own the boat).

I'd recommend a fishing trip in Kauai out of Lihue, just not with these guys..... ( I was warned by the concierge at hotel but didn't listen - my bad)

5  Thank Orton_8
Reviewed 14 January 2014

I took my son and brother out in late December and we never even got to touch a pole. We had no strikes. We saw a number of whale breaches. Capt Bill did not interact with us much except to point out some whales and to tell us he was trying to find us some fish. Sean was a very personable deck hand and chatted with us throughout the 4 hours. Answering questions and apologizing for the lack of fish. The boat is not nearly as nice as pictured.

It is not their fault the fish were not biting, but all we did was drag lines around for 4 hours. Never used any bait on the lines. Not sure I would do this again, as it was a very expensive boat ride for the three of us.

4  Thank royalmay
Reviewed 11 January 2014

I brought my whole family on a 4-hour fishing trip with Capt. Andy and Jeff. It was a great experience. They are very knowledgeable and fun to be around. And as far as the fishing goes, we were one of the few boats that had luck that day. Here is what we experienced yesterday: catching tuna with whales breaching and blowing nearby....oh yeah, with rainbows and mountains in the background! Doesn't get any better than that! Greg G.

1  Thank Greg G