“Delicious local Hawaiian food”
Review of Pono Market

Pono Market
Ranked #7 of 138 Restaurants in Kapaa
Cuisines: Hawaiian
Good for: Child-friendly, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast
Reviewed 28 June 2018

The Poke here is to die for, as well as the various island dishes with Taro leaves and fried chicken, or pork. I stumbled upon this place on my first day when I decided to go for a walk into the little township after a long flight. Followed a lot of locals into this little surprise and ordered the Spicey Poke and the Onion Poke on brown rice! Delicious!!! I went back for more and also referred other travellers to this spot too. Go early because they DO SELL OUT early.

Reviewed 26 June 2018

This place is a take out dive that should be visited by Guy Fieri on Triple D. The inside is nothing to write home about. Non-descript is generous.

The ordering process, at least for first-timers like us, was confusing, and we were not the only ones.

But the food, OMG, the food is excellent. I never thought that I would give 5 stars to a place that serves on paper or plastic plates, but this restaurant deserves the 5.

The pork lau lau, which is basically pieces of pork shoulder wrapped in leaves and cooked low and slow, is out of this world tender and delicious. I tried the beef curry as part of my two entree number 5, and it was excellent. The beef was soft and good quality, and the curry was spicy with a kick but not searing hot. Just perfect.

The lomi salmon salad that the wife and I got was really tasty though it is more tomatoes than salmon. But it was perfect after the spicy curry.

This place is a winner for sure. I now understand why it is so highly rated.

If we have time, I would love to return before we leave and try some different dishes like the chicken lau lau.

Reviewed 20 June 2018

Great value and, usually, great food. Want an Hawaiian plate lunch? This is the place food is fairly price, good portions, mix-n-match to customize your meal, and rotating entries. Grab a menu in advance to see what's served each day. Latest trip was disappointing however, in that, the chicken stirfry was more broccoli stirfry as there was but three dime sized pieces of chicken.

Reviewed 18 June 2018

The family run business provides a local diversity where students of all ages stop for snacks and lunch. There are so many traditional things to try and also a built in coffee shop for those that need coffee too go. The manju are bite size and delicious and reflect the local cultures that have made Kauai their home There are local favorites like poke,fried chicken and lunch plated .There is a wide assortment of musubi that all must try . This will be a breakfast of champions. You know this is the place when truck drivers stop regularly.

Reviewed 13 June 2018 via mobile

My wife and I are visiting the island and this was our first stop from the airport. She had been wanting to try some poke and this place had good reviews and was recommended in guidebooks so we decided to check it out. I got an entree with pork and potato mac salad - she got a poke bowl with rice. The pork I ate was tender and very flavorful and she let me try a few bites of her poke - very delicious. There’s some seating right outside, and this place is kind of like a deli with some menu options. You can also get any entree, fish, or sides by the pound. If you’re considering it, I’d definitely check this place out