“Closed on holidays!? :(”

Hee Fat General Store
Ranked #1 of 8 Dessert in Kapaa
Reviewed 10 June 2014

We had heard that Hee Fat General Store was the place for shave ice & excitedly headed that way on Memorial Day at around 10:30am to find that they were closed. So sad! We thought for sure they'd be open for Memorial Day business but now we will never know if their shave ice was the best on the island. We ran into the same problem in Koloa with another shave ice place closed on a holiday. So weird. We were disappointed with 3 out of 4 shave ice places on Kauai but never got back to Hee Fat to find out if it truly was the best. I wanted to be able to review this one with five stars but........sigh.

Reviewed 1 June 2014

I read the reviews before flying into Kauai. I knew that Hee Fat was one of the places we HAD to visit. I was not disappointed. Make sure to get the Macadamia Nut ice cream in addition to the shave ice, and do NOT get the small, go for the big size...you will thank me later :)

1  Thank Ashlie P
Reviewed 29 May 2014

Stopped by Hee Fat's general store on my last day on the island to get one more shave ice experience in before I flew back to the mainland. I tried shave ice almost everyday and I have to say their's is quite good. The proportions are generous (I had to ask for a kid size) and they dont pack the ice too hard so that it's easy to scoop and melts like cotton candy on your tongue. I would definitely recommend going there if you're in Kapaa.

1  Thank 12LittleOne12
Reviewed 25 May 2014

Didn't go out of our way on previous Hawaiian Island visit to get Shave Ice, but now see why the lines would get long, especially on a hot day. I always pictured it as just another "Snow Cone". But it's so much better than that. Especially at Hee Fat's General Store where the servings are huge and the thinly, finely shaved (and very light!) ice is (if you order accordingly) set atop a scoop of ice cream. I had the Lava Flow on Mac-nut ice cream and requested my Strawberry and pineapple fresh fruit syrups (the coconut syrup is made with artificial flavoring as are many of the others--they make a handful of flavors from fresh fruit). Topped with a coconut cream type of syrup they dub the "snow cap". Yum-meee!!! My husband doesn't remember the name of his, but he liked it a lot too but thought it was too much. Me: I could've eaten more! Bring on the Shave Ice...with Ice Cream!

Reviewed 24 May 2014

Believe everything you read about this place being the best Hawaiian ice on the island. Why can't they do this in California? We figure we're going to have to go back every day, sometimes twice, until we're sick of it. This way we just might make it a year before we have to come back for more. Our absolute favorite is strawberry, coconut and banana on macadamia nut ice cream. OMG! I think I need to go back right now! Later.