“Kayaking and playing in the mud. FUN, FUN, FUN!!!”
Review of Alii Kayaks

Alii Kayaks
Ranked #2 of 49 Outdoor Activities in Kapaa
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Take an eco-adventure Kayak/Hike to a Secret Waterfall! Among all the rivers available to adventure seekers, the Wailua River Valley seems to be one of those special places. Kayak 4 miles roundtrip on a Class Zero river, combined with a 1.5 mile moderate to strenuous hike through a tropical rainforest, wading through streams, and traversing muddy trails to get to the beautiful 120' Uluwehi Falls.
Reviewed 30 May 2014

This was one of the highlights of our trip to Kauai.
I never thought at my age (50 +) I would find myself up to my knees in mud! But there I was and having fun too! Guarantee, you will be getting your feet soaked with mud and water - and for some, even their clothes. The hike is not strenuous at all,as it is fairly flat but can be very slippery and you are walking over roots and rocks.
Our guide - Cody, was excellent! He didn't rush anyone, he ensured that everyone was safe and took the time to speak with each of us along the way. He was very knowledgeable about the history of the area including local plants etc,.
This adventure is worth taking - but be prepared, it is wet and muddy and lots of fun!

1  Thank Winnie W
Write a ReviewReviews (1,178)

A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 21 May 2014 via mobile

The kayaking was not very challenging at the slow pace the group took. The hike portion to the waterfall was not steep but very muddy and slippery. The waterfall was a great refreshing sight at the end of the hike and a great place to have lunch.

Reviewed 21 May 2014

The trip was amazing but what made it fantastically amazing was our guide. Cody was what I expect in a guide. He was knowledgeable, friendly, considerate and a subject matter expert. He had an opportunity to test two of his skills he had trained for. The first was helping capsized boaters back into their kayak. The second came as one of our group had a diabetic emergency and Cody responded admirably under pressure reassuring him and getting him the medical response necessary. Cody kept us all entertained during the hiking part by playing his ukulele. We tried to guess the songs being played and it kept our minds off the messy mud. I would recommend this company to everyone wanting to kayak Wailua river. If not for Cody it may have been like every other company out there. Ali'i kayaks is the go to company and Cody will be the icing on the cake. Thanks for everything Cody, you are a truly unique young man!

1  Thank Jtschidaman
Reviewed 19 May 2014

I am terribly out of shape. 2 days later, and I am still sore! It was a great work out, but the muddy trek made me miserable. Fortunately our guide, Cody, was so patient with all of us, and was great about giving us a heads up when terrain was about to get worse. He has a great sense of humor, and did a great job at keeping our spirits up. Mahalo for the exceptional, high-value experience. An unforgettable mud bath, for sure. ;-)

1  Thank tawnacity
Reviewed 12 May 2014

We had a great time getting off the pavement and into the back country with our guide Cody. It takes some stamina to get where your going so it's not for the lazy couch potato. However, if you can muster paddling for a hour and half, hiking another hour through some lush, possibly muddy jungle trails, Cody will entertain and educate with ukulele in hand to a waterfall that will make it all worthwhile.