“Great time!”

Ohana Fishing Charters
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Ohana Fishing Charters is located at Nawiliwili Small boat harbor just South of the Lihue airport. We are an extremely knowledgeable charter company with a great standing reputation. Ohana means family and that's the impression we like to leave with our guests. Please join us in a great hunting adventure on the beautiful waters off the Garden Isle of Kauai!
La Mesa
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 21 helpful votes
“Great time!”
Reviewed 14 November 2013 via mobile

Awesome experience with Howard and V. They worked their butts off and made it a great time. Caught a bunch of yellowfin and skipjack.

Highly recommend this company.

Seattle, Washington
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Stormy weather - GREAT time!”
Reviewed 30 October 2013

We had a terrific time with Howard and V. It was fun to watch a big storm envelope the island, while we were out in the sun. Caught 6 fish between two of us, but that was just the icing on the cake. My husband is blind, and that was never an issue. It was a pleasure to have the moments of boating punctuated by the thrill of fish on. I also appreciated the unusual sunrise provided by Howard, as well as his teaching what he was looking for while he was "hunting" for fish. At the end of the trip we went back to the hotel with some fillets, and had two memorable meals prepared by the chef. This is a total do-over, and will be on our list any time we return to the island.

Sacramento, California
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“4 Hr Deep sea experience”
Reviewed 28 October 2013

I had a fabulous time! In the four hours we were out, the begining of our trip was slow, but Lance (our faithful Captain and owner) was on the phone with friends that were out fishing and found some great spots to fish. EVERYONE on the boat caught a fish, some were lucky enough to get two. I went solo and was the only female on the boat, but I was welcomed and felt right at home!

I HIGHLY recommend this trip!!

Anaheim, California
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“mouthy howard”
Reviewed 18 October 2013

where did you get this guy .we thought we where after yellowfin tuna.But only caught skipjack tuna mainland bait.Howard was very rud hope you don,t use him very often.BILL&CINDY

1 Thank fshmnbill
lance k, Owner at Ohana Fishing Charters, responded to this review, 20 October 2013
Please read this with Caution! This author is malicious and his judgment of our captain is just untrue. The evening after this trip I received phone call from a gentleman who also was on this trip. He informed me that there was a man on the boat (the author of this review) that was rude to my captain, crew and even worse he was rude to his own wife, which made it uncomfortable to all others on the boat. He was telling the captain and crew how to do their job and was telling the other passengers that the fish they were catching were "junk fish". In closure he said my captain and crew handled the mans behavior extremely professional and that his day fishing was the best he ever had. I was pleased to hear this but I was not surprised of their professionalism, seeing that my captain has been running charter boats for over 30 years and most importantly he's just a great guy. Being rude would be totally out of his character. Reading the many other great reviews we have , Captain Howard is mentioned many times for his superior customer service, humorous personality and his great fishing ability. We operate our business with the utmost integrity, honesty, and placing customer service are top priority. We know we can't make everyone happy, but we try our best which is reflected in our reputation.

This man was never promised yellow fin tuna nor any other type of fish. He was informed we may catch Yellow Fin as well as other species like Mahi Mahi and Skip Jack tuna which we had been catching in recent trips. We would never promise a specific species because it is called fishing and you just never know what may jump on the line. This trip was a share charter which is a trip with different parties or groups of people. When we have clients looking for as specific type of fish we always suggest a private charter. There are no guarantees of catching certain species of fish but we can put more of a focus on trying to capture that particular type fish requested on a private charter.

On this day we caught several 17 to 25 pound Skip Jack tuna. This particular tuna is what we eat in canned tuna and is the most widely eaten tuna in the world. It is not the highest grade tuna but is delicious non the less. This is the first complaint we have ever had regarding this type of tuna. It is far from a trash fish. Pound for pound Skip Jack of this size are the hardest fighting fish in the ocean. They are extremely fun to catch and often provide great action for our guests.

I am proud of my captain and crew members. I personally invited them to work with me because their great reputations as fisherman and just down right good people. We strive for excellence and will continue give first class service to our guests.
redding
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 31 helpful votes
“Hard to fish in Kauai”
Reviewed 9 October 2013

First of all, I suppose if we would of caught a marlin I would of said Excellent , but we didn't and that's how fishing goes. Here on the Pacific coast out of Eureka we always catch fish. The guys were very nice and talked story to us which was great and they were very helpful. the seas were rough coming from every direction. Out of 3 couples we caught 3 mahi mahi and everybody got a chance to catch a couple of small Ahi.The boat was oldish and no railing. No young children ,for the 2 of us it was $330. Bathroom facilities were very minimal and stinky ,due to it wouldn't flush,broke, and it was a porta potty in the front of the boat. Bring your own food

Visited October 2013
lance k, Owner at Ohana Fishing Charters, responded to this review, 12 October 2013
When I respond to reviews such as this I try to educate our potential clients and set the record straight when there are blatant lies. I know that no matter what we do we just can't please some people. I will be the first to admit if we are wrong or if we need improvement in our equipment and service.

I grew up in California and I know for a fact there are no Mahi, Ahi, Ono, and Marlin in Eureka California. In Eureka the off shore fishing consists of mainly bottom fishing and is a plentiful fishery. I'm sure you can catch fish every time out. Here on Kauai we are fishing for Pelagic species that require searching and hunting for fish that are constantly on the move. Big difference. It's a great day if we get all our guests a fish! This day we had at least one if not two fish per person. On our share trips we go after what ever is our best chance to catch fish for all our guests on board, not one specific fish for one of our passengers. That would not be fair. If you are looking for a specific type of fish like a Marlin, you should book private charter to target that species of fish.

The comment about the shape of our boat and our head (toilet) just isn't true. What is true is that we do not have railing on the sides of are boat nor do any fishing boat in Kauai. The reason for this is that we do most of our fishing and the landing of our fish off the sides of the boat. Railing would make this very difficult and dangerous. We have never had an accident due to not having railing. The head (toilet) on our vessel is sanitized daily after use and works if you follow the captains instructions and is very specious compared to any other 30 foot charter boat on Kauai. First of all it's private, you can stand straight up, its well ventilated, and most importantly its clean and doesn't smell. We run a first class operation and I have never been on our boat and smelled a foul odor. Other boats on Kauai have no head, a bucket, some have to put all other guests to the back of the boat and turn away due to no privacy while they pull out a portable toilet to use on the deck. Ours is the best around for the size boat we operate. Lastly, the comment about the boat being old. She was built in 1988 by Wilson Marine and is one of the best boats built in the world. If you asked a commercial fisherman from California about this boat, they would say the same. She is a two owner boat that has been well maintained and has been in charter fishing service since she was built. She has an impeccable safety record. There is a saying in boating, " a clean boat is a safe boat" and we live by that. She is one of the nicest charter boats on Kauai big or small. She may be old but she's far from run down.

Once again we ask that you read these reviews objectively and if you have any questions or concerns give us a call.