“excellent”

Ohana Fishing Charters
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Ohana Fishing Charters is located at Nawiliwili Small boat harbor just South of the Lihue airport. We are an extremely knowledgeable charter company with a great standing reputation. Ohana means family and that's the impression we like to leave with our guests. Please join us in a great hunting adventure on the beautiful waters off the Garden Isle of Kauai!
Reviewed 23 November 2013

Mom and teenage 17 year old daughter took this charter out. Great day, tons of fun. Caught yellow fin tuna and skip. The guys on the boat were so nice and did everything they could to make our day special. They work hard. There was only 5 people on the charter that day total. I think the boat was just the right size for us.They offer soda and water for free. They have a small portable toilet under the crawl space in the front. Clean and private but not a lot of room down there. If you are larger or taller you may not love it, but if you got to go it's there. We had a great time. I E-mailed them a few times asking questions and they always got back to me and helped me all they could. If we ever go back to Kauai I will be sure to even go out with them twice! And the price was great too!

All reviews
"sea sickness"
"half day trip"
"four hours"

Reviewed 14 November 2013 via mobile

Awesome experience with Howard and V. They worked their butts off and made it a great time. Caught a bunch of yellowfin and skipjack.

Highly recommend this company.

Reviewed 30 October 2013

We had a terrific time with Howard and V. It was fun to watch a big storm envelope the island, while we were out in the sun. Caught 6 fish between two of us, but that was just the icing on the cake. My husband is blind, and that was never an issue. It was a pleasure to have the moments of boating punctuated by the thrill of fish on. I also appreciated the unusual sunrise provided by Howard, as well as his teaching what he was looking for while he was "hunting" for fish. At the end of the trip we went back to the hotel with some fillets, and had two memorable meals prepared by the chef. This is a total do-over, and will be on our list any time we return to the island.

Reviewed 28 October 2013

I had a fabulous time! In the four hours we were out, the begining of our trip was slow, but Lance (our faithful Captain and owner) was on the phone with friends that were out fishing and found some great spots to fish. EVERYONE on the boat caught a fish, some were lucky enough to get two. I went solo and was the only female on the boat, but I was welcomed and felt right at home!

I HIGHLY recommend this trip!!

See more reviews
Reviewed 18 October 2013

where did you get this guy .we thought we where after yellowfin tuna.But only caught skipjack tuna mainland bait.Howard was very rud hope you don,t use him very often.BILL&CINDY

1  Thank fshmnbill
lance k, Owner at Ohana Fishing Charters, responded to this reviewResponded 20 October 2013

Please read this with Caution! This author is malicious and his judgment of our captain is just untrue. The evening after this trip I received phone call from a gentleman who also was on this trip. He informed me that there was a man on the boat (the author of this review) that was rude to my captain, crew and even worse he was rude to his own wife, which made it uncomfortable to all others on the boat. He was telling the captain and crew how to do their job and was telling the other passengers that the fish they were catching were "junk fish". In closure he said my captain and crew handled the mans behavior extremely professional and that his day fishing was the best he ever had. I was pleased to hear this but I was not surprised of their professionalism, seeing that my captain has been running charter boats for over 30 years and most importantly he's just a great guy. Being rude would be totally out of his character. Reading the many other great reviews we have , Captain Howard is mentioned many times for his superior customer service, humorous personality and his great fishing ability. We operate our business with the utmost integrity, honesty, and placing customer service are top priority. We know we can't make everyone happy, but we try our best which is reflected in our reputation.

This man was never promised yellow fin tuna nor any other type of fish. He was informed we may catch Yellow Fin as well as other species like Mahi Mahi and Skip Jack tuna which we had been catching in recent trips. We would never promise a specific species because it is called fishing and you just never know what may jump on the line. This trip was a share charter which is a trip with different parties or groups of people. When we have clients looking for as specific type of fish we always suggest a private charter. There are no guarantees of catching certain species of fish but we can put more of a focus on trying to capture that particular type fish requested on a private charter.

On this day we caught several 17 to 25 pound Skip Jack tuna. This particular tuna is what we eat in canned tuna and is the most widely eaten tuna in the world. It is not the highest grade tuna but is delicious non the less. This is the first complaint we have ever had regarding this type of tuna. It is far from a trash fish. Pound for pound Skip Jack of this size are the hardest fighting fish in the ocean. They are extremely fun to catch and often provide great action for our guests.

I am proud of my captain and crew members. I personally invited them to work with me because their great reputations as fisherman and just down right good people. We strive for excellence and will continue give first class service to our guests.