“The room had a beautiful view but was not designed for romance!”
Review of Lae Nani

Lae Nani
Ranked #9 of 11 Hotels in Kapaa
Reviewed 9 October 2009

When we arrived at about 11:00 a.m. to check in the woman at the front desk basically told us to go away until 3:00 p.m. She suggested that we go to coffee (which we’d already done) or head to the Coconut Marketplace. But, being pregnant, I REALLY needed a nap! We had arrived on a 6:30 a.m. flight and had already explored the island a little, had breakfast, and gone for coffee.
We decided to go the marketplace and it was so small that it wasn’t worth our time. So, we went back to the hotel at noon and my husband explained that I was pregnant (I hate using that as an excuse) and that we needed our room. We were finally able to check in then.
We got a first floor room with a patio that opened up to a grassy area and the beach! Awe, naptime I thought … nope! The room was not quiet or private whatsoever!!! We slept horribly almost the whole trip and found the room a little difficult to be (uhum…) romantic in.
Here are the reasons:
First, there is no air-conditioning so all of the windows in the room need to be open at all times or it is sweltering in the room.
Second, we were on the first floor and constantly heard everybody walking by, rolling their luggage, or talking. The conversations were not muffled and we could understand what was being said because the windows were directly behind the head of the bed.
Third, if we could hear them, then they could (uhum…) hear us. (Luckily, even though we planned the trip initially to work on baby making, I was already pregnant by then.) But, a little romance is nice on a ROMANTIC VACATION!
Fourth, the staff was annoying! One morning at about 8:00 a.m. a man trimmed trees literally a foot away from our bedroom window. He went way after I opened the shutters and looked to see what the noise was. So there I was, the tree trimmer looking at me in my P.J.s! I did call and was apologized to by, I’m not sure who, because the front desk does not answer when you ring for it. It’s a service or something. Anyway, another morning I had just finished a shower and needed a snack (pregnant) so I walked to the kitchen in my towel. Yes, I did this with the patio curtains open (nobody should be looking in anyway, right?) but, of course, a gardener was there trimming. Also, shortly after that the maid looked into the kitchen window and asked. Do you need housekeeping? Towels maybe and a little PRIVACY!
The room itself was decorated a little granny style and was dated but, it was clean. My husband asked the people upstairs if there room was loud and they said no. I would recommend this place for family vacations but not for couples unless you want to give up the convenience of walking out onto the beach for a more quiet upper room.

1  Thank RedKoala

Reviewed 19 September 2009

Pros:
1. Great Location - literally a stone's throw from the ocean. All rooms have ocean view, with some units being closer to the ocean than others while others having to look past the pool. Being close to Kuhio Hwy, it is also close to some shopping complexes. Being on the East Shore has its own advantages - it is closer to the airport (and hence helicopter launch pads, if you taking those), and it quicker to get to the North or South shores. It is also very close to Lydgate Park - a great place to snorkel for young children. Also there is a fantastic mile long beach walk from Lydgate to the Hilton.
2. Friendly staff. Let us use a guest room to freshen up before our flight. Other workers, including the security guards, the gardener and maintenance person, were very friendly.
3. The condos are small 2-3 story units, giving it a more homely feel.
4. Very quiet in September - no loud parties on or off premise. Couldn't even hear tv sets.
5. Very spacious porch to enjoy the ocean.
6. Condos Kitchen is very well stocked with utensils, pots, pans, cutlery, a dishwasher, a cooking range, a microwave etc. Looks pretty much like your own home kitchen.

Cons:
* I am not sure about the other units, but #124 where we stayed was very outdated. The bathroom shower head could not be turned. We bore it in the aloha spirit until the third day when it got stuck on hot water and I had to call maintenance. Maintenance took almost half a day to fix it. The condo itself was very old (probably built in the 70s?). It had a bit of dank smell that no amount of cross ventilation would remove. There was a wee bit of mildew under the caulking in the bath tub - could be ignored, but it was there and very visible. The exhaust fans in both bathrooms were unacceptably loud and noisy, probably close to breaking down.
* This is not a hotel. There is some basic towel exchange on weekdays with beds being made on weekends, but no 'full' maid service. This was not a big deal for us, just fyi. There is a laundromat in the complex, 20 mins per wash cycle.
* There is no manager onsite after hours. If you have trouble, you have to call the off hours number and the off hours manager. Normally this is ok, but if you arrive after hours, you need to know the procedure. This is not great when you arrive tired, and after sunset. The whole area is completely dark - no lit signs and inadequate street lamps. This is nice after you settle down, but very daunting on arrival. The condo is behind the Shell gas station, and my GPS kept missing it. I called the 1-800 number and it simply told me to call the off-hours number and hung up. The Shell attendant was helpful and walked out to point out the path. Even then it took me a couple of passes to find the complex. And you do this with anxiety because you are not sure if someone will be on-premise. I finally found the place and a phone next to the only unit lit by a fluoroscent lamp. There were a bunch of numbers underneath. I just hit re-dial hoping someone would have checked in late like me, and I was lucky and got to the off-hours manager, George. Of course, once he picked up the phone, finding the unit, opening the key in the secure box etc was a breeze. I just wish Outrigger had this info both on their website as well as the main 1-800 number.

But all in all, the place was comfortable, serene and it definitely helped in making my vacation pleasurable.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Nineveh
Reviewed 18 September 2009

We enjoyed our stay in the marvelously decorated Condo 338. It had a lovely ocean view from the lanai but I was surprised that there was only one lounge chair on the lanai. The grounds, and pool were lovely. It was possible to walk north for quite a distance along the ocean without actually being in the sand and we actually walked over to a restaurant at another hotel.

1  Thank BFNewJersey
Reviewed 13 September 2009

We have been at the Lae Nani twice, both tims on the third floor. For old folks, that is a lot of stairs but the views from the 3rd floor are amazing!! Units could use a second television but otherwise there is little that would improve the units!! Recommended highly, especially at special rates!!

Reviewed 3 September 2009

The Lae Nani complex is beautiful and it's proximity to the beach is priceless. It's location affords great walks along the beach to the north. The unit we stayed in, 531, is gorgeous. It looks like it is newly remodeled. It has the nicest furniture and best equipped kitchen of any condo we've ever rented on any of the Hawaiian islands. It has full size front-load washer and dryer in the unit, unlike the units rented through Outrigger that require you to use the pay washers. There is snorkel equipment and there are beach chairs/mats in the closet on the lanai. Several excellent restaurants are within walking distance. Lyngate Park with it's safe snorkel beach is a five minute drive. A great location and fabulous condo!

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank BanningPilot
Reviewed 24 July 2009

We just returned from our stay at Lae Nani July 20-23. On the positive side, the grounds are beautiful. There is a large expanse of lawn where one can lounge in the shade under palms trees. The child in our party loved the pool area, as well as the protected lava pool in the ocean and the tidepools. A monk seal (endangered) slept on the small beach in front 2 of the 3 days we were there, and knowledgeable docents were on site to protect and educate. We had a well-equipped two bedroom unit with full kitchen and wonderful views from our balcony. While not advertised, there was a wireless signal and we were able to use our laptops.

The downside of this property is that the units are individually owned; some have been upgraded and some have not. We found our unit (321) in need of both updating and repair. In all fairness, we read the comments in the unit's guestbook and all were very positive--so we may be a bit more picky than some. The furnishings and decor were comfortable, but very dated. There were very small old TVs in the living room and master bedroom, but none in the second bedroom. The carpet , flooring, bedding and window coverings were quite worn. The bathrooms could use renovation. A recessed light fixture dangled by its wires from the ceiling over the tub; a bit scary! There is no air conditioning in this unit (some owners have installed air conditioners), only fans in the 2 bedrooms. With the curtains drawn at night, we found the master bedroom to be stuffy, with only a floor fan and ceiling fan circulating the air from a narrow louvered window.

For the most part, the property is very quiet. However, we had the misfortune to have a family with 2-3 children directly over us. They didn't seem to leave their room all day, and we could hear the kids running back and forth over our heads from early in the morning until late at night. While a top floor means more stairs to climb (no elevators), we would have preferred no noise from overhead.

While Lae Nani is well located in between the North and South shores, each is about 1/2 hour or more, depending upon traffic, away. We found that once we returned from a day trip north or south, we really didn't feel like getting in the car again for dinner, and the restaurant choices nearby were not so great. We walked to the Coconut Planation for dinner our first night (not much there). We drove to Wahoos down the road another night and didn't much like it either. Had we stayed longer than 3 nights, we would have done more cooking in the unit and on the nice Weber barbeques out by the pool.

Overall, we liked the grounds very much. If we were to stay at Lae Nani again, we would probably book directly with the owner, to gain some assurance of location and condition of the unit.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with family
5  Thank TrvlAgtRet
Reviewed 6 July 2009

We stayed in unit 318 for 7 nights and had a great time. The location is great because you have a small beach right on the property. The view is awesome. With the kitchen in the room and grill outside by the pool you can just relax as you would at home. The property is generally quiet, and somehow they manage to keep all the roosters away that have taken over the rest of Kauai. The only issues we had were some noise (rude tourists, nothing to do with the property), some mosquitos. AC would have been nice, but not essential.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank liveoutdoors99
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kapaa
3 mi away
#10 of 11 in Kapaa
Plantation Hale Suites
Koloa Landing Resort at Poipu, Autograph Collection
Hilton Garden Inn Kauai Wailua Bay

Been to Lae Nani? Share your experiences!