“Thank god Back in Business!!!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Tropical Dreams
Ranked #2 of 9 Dessert in Kapaa
Price range: US$4 - US$10
Good for: Kids, Cheap Eats, Child-friendly
Dining options: After-hours, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Seating, Takeout, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Tropical Dreams Ice Cream offers over 150 flavors of super premium ice cream, vegan ice cream, gelato and sorbet all handmade on the big island. Super premium means it's handmade with 18% butterfat, adding a rich and creamy texture you can taste. All Hawaiian ingredients are grown on environmentally friendly farms and 100% of our cream produced by Big Island dairies. The result....a true Hawaiian gourmet ice cream that is dense and very rich tasting with flavors you only dream about
Trabuco Canyon, California
“Thank god Back in Business!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 February 2012

Dan has finally been able to open his Tropical Dreams Ice Cream store in Kapaa - in the Saveway Shopping Center. What great news!!!!! See Dan and having this delicious ice cream was a real special treat - like returning home !!!! His store is now closer (1/2 the travel time from Poipu) to all the south-side resorts. I had a wonderful time catching up on Dan's latest news and eating this heavenly ice cream.

1 Thank erkent

California
“Good ice cream, but not quite worth the high price”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 January 2012

The owner is very nice, and chatty. My husband got a pineapple soft-serve on a waffle cone and I got one scoop of chocolate mint ice cream in a cup. Flavors were good, but not quite worth the $10 we paid.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Northern CA
“The best ice cream and they have poha ice cream”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 January 2012

I had read about this ice cream on tripadvisor. We stopped by after going to Safeway. We had a lovely talk with the owner while looking at flavors. I must confess that my husband is the ice cream lover in our family. I can usually pass on ice cream for a dessert or a treat.

However, while looking at the flavors, I saw that they had poha ice cream. Poha is a flavor of jams, jellies and syrups that I fell in love with on our first trips to Hawaii over 25 years ago. I have not seen poha ice cream in over 10 years. It is a tarter flavor, almost like a gooseberry. I found out that the natural habitat for the berrry has been disappearing on the Big Island. The owner told me that usually older Hawaiian ladies like this flavor.

I gladly paid $4 for a scoop. In fact, I paid $8 for a pint to go. This is a great place and I wish them continued success.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank patsyannie
Kauai, Hawaii
“Definition of Gourmet Ice Cream and Great Service with a Smile”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 January 2012

Tropical Dreams, recently located in Kilauea, and known as one of the best, if not THE BEST place to grab some well made gourmet ice cream AND gelato, now located in the Waipouli Shopping Center across the street from The Waipouli Outrigger Resort and next to Safeway and next door to Supercuts.

The shop has different flavors you will not find anywhere else and is made with top ingredients and carefully. Most places will leave containers open for display, and after a while the ice cream quality dissipates and gets chalky. but this place is one for leaving the tubs closed to preserve freshness and quality, I highly agree with that. The gentleman who owns it is named Dan and he and his wife are some amazing people. Dan has been doing business on the island for a while and is a real treasure to meet and converse with.

I went here with my girlfriend after a long day at work just after new years, and I immediately took a shine to the place. The atmosphere was nice, clean, and when we got to sample some of the island flavors, let me just put it this way, here is a place and business that cares about quality, hands down. For flavor reccomendations, the lychee cream was an inspiring flavor, rich, and creamy. If you like coffee, the Kona flavor is the way to go. Cheesecake? They have strawberry and blueberry (my girl loved that one), but the one that sold me was a custom one Dan had made for him, which was a Vanilla Malt Toffee. Unreal flavor and it was a real treat. Ask him about new ventures he will have with his shop.

Prices for the desserts were reasonable, now I know people who read this will gasp. The pricing is about $4 a scoop, my girl and I got two a piece with waffle cones and it came out to be about a little less than $20. For those of you who think I am crazy to spend that much, let me tell you, the service and quality is unbeatable. If I know what I am getting is good quality stuff, and great customer service, I will NEVER put a price on that. These guys show a lot of aloha, and better believe they have repeatable business with me. Give these guys a try, you won't be dissappointed.

Thanks Dan, you rock bro!

2 Thank Mister_Ace