“Not a good place MISLEADING REVIEWS”

Plantation Hale Suites
Ranked #7 of 11 Hotels in Kapaa
Reviewed 16 October 2013

Periodically I travel back home (local) and stay at Plantation Hale. I WILL NEVER STAY HERE AGAIN. My daughter, three grandchildren and I stayed one night. I was embarressed that I chose this place for my grandchildren and daughter to stay for the night. When I opened the door the room smelled of fowl odor, musty and of pee. I immediately opened the sliding doors and turned on the ceiling fans and left the entry door open to get rid of the foul smell. It took a while. When the front desk said we were upgraded to a garden view, one would expected green and lush foliageand green grass, DO NOT EXPECT A GARDEN unless it starts to rain during the winter months....you may get LUSH GREEN GRASS THEN. Bathroom dirty, The grout on the ceramic floor tiles of the bathroom someone needs to take a toothbrush and clean it or spray it so it does not look BLACK or LIKE IT HAS NOT BEEN CLEANED IN A LONG TIME. Screen door leading to the so call Garden was difficult to move back and forth and took some doing to get it to slide. Had to ask for Coffee packets and was asked to come to the front desk and get it. Then it did not matter, the COFFEE MAKER did not work properly. AC unit noisy.

We were very hesitate to sleep on the bed and checked it to make sure the sheet was at least CLEAN.

"Newly Renovated" overstated - I have stayed here when it was NOT RENOVATED and I can say that the only thing I see changed is the countertop in the bathroom and new drapery.....other than these two things it is still old and outstaed and pretty much the same before such RENOVATION.

I used to live here on Kauai and I love our island, but this was an embarressment and disappointment. The only thing good about this place is the "Suite" and walking distance to eateries. Trust me, for the price it was not worth it!

Room Tip: I do not recommend Plantation Hale
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
9  Thank Joyce H
Eric N, General Manager at Plantation Hale Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 17 October 2013

Aloha Joyce H,

I must say I was disappointed we let you down on our services. I can assure you that is not the norm and I will share your feedback with our team. I sincerely apologize as we do our best to ensure that our guests are satisfied and we strive to meet and exceed their expectations. We care very much about our guests and their comfort.

I do hope you will return and contact myself or Patti (Assistant Manager) for a reservation. Thank you for your business and your comments.

Reviewed 14 October 2013

I booked this hotel as a bundle thru travelocity. What attracted me to this property was the dististinc NON-MEGA HOTEL look about it. I came to Kauai for my 65th birthday and much needed vacation. I was NOT disappointed at all, I loved that I had a ground level condo facing the beach. I did not have to lug luggage thru hotel mega lobbies, up one of a bank of elevators to a room that faced the parking lot! This is an older hotel, but it had that Aloha feel about it. Yes the condo was a bit outdated, but it was outdated Hawaii style and was very comfortable. I loved the fact that we would leave the glass sliding door open at night with just the screen door...we could HEAR the waves breaking on the shoreline every night..what a joy that was. I would definately stay here again and also bring any of my family or recommend to my co-workers. Great price, great location, great vacation!!! Aloha..travelinmamma!!

Room Tip: Ask for a unit facing the beach, there are buildings that face inward to the courtyard, but hearing...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank travelinmamma2013

Aloha travelinmamma2013,

I am glad you had a great time here at Plantation Hale Suites for your 65th birthday. Look forward to meeting you the next time you come back to the island of Kauai.

Thank you for posting such a great review of the property.

Mahalo,

Reviewed 5 October 2013

We picked this resort for our honeymoon based on reviews on Tripadvisor. I paid for an upgraded room with a premium view. What we got was a smelly, outdated room next to the laundromat with a view of the road that leads into the resort. We asked for another room only to be told that nothing else was available.

As far as staff goes, we requested a dinner suggestion at check in and they could not even come up with a suggestion. Thank goodness another guest in line healed us out. We were surprised that this place received so many stars on Tripadvisor. Our experience was nothing like the reviews we read.

5  Thank beachgirlx2
Eric N, General Manager at Plantation Hale Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 9 October 2013

Aloha beachgirlx2,

Reviewed 30 September 2013

we stayed 6 nights this month at this hotel. Our tour operator selected 3 hotels in Kauai and based on the comments on Trip Advisor we kept this one..
Mistake..
The room wasn't clean properly, spots on the livingroom carpet, dirty kitchen cupboards doors, dirty bath tub, smelly fournitures that look like from the 70's.. this place needs a good steaming /cleaning..
i had to buy febreeze and spray it every day..
cheap this place? if you add tax + daily fee? Looking at some websites when we were there, we could add 10 dollars a day and get the courtyard with beautiful room and Ocean view..
This hotel updated room were at 200 dollars + per night.... Cheap??
So, an advice, Look twice before booking this one...There are plenty of other hotels in the area with clean room and fournitures from this time.
btw, the beach accross the field isn't a proper beach, few meters of sand and too dangerous to swim there..

4  Thank natty2013

Aloha natty2013,

I do hope you will return and contact meslf or Patti (Assistant Manager) for a reservation. Thank you for your business and your comments.

Reviewed 28 September 2013

Plantation Hale Suites on the (Royal) Coconut Coast are a local favorite on the east shore of Kaua'i. The suites are in the Coconut Marketplace vicinity. And near to Kuhio Highway -- the path to everywhere.

The quiet, spacious suites are well-apportioned, the beds are great, the prices are a bargain, and both shopping & beaches are truly nearby. Family members have always praised their stays there.

If you're looking for a luxurious yet affordable spot closer to the heart of Kapa'a and its amenities, you will consider this to be a low-profile 'find' that will be impossible to beat. That's why their occupancy rate is so high.

So, book as far in advance as you can.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Lew G

Aloha Lew G,

I was thrilled to read all of your good comments about the property from the centralized location, beds, and luxurious rooms. I was pleased to hear we exceeded your expectations from the time you stepped into your suite.

Thanks again for posting a great comment about the Plantation hale Suites. Look forward to seeing you the next time you are on the beautiful island of Kauai. It is nice to receive such a good rating and comments from a Senior Reviewer. Mahalo

Aloha!!!

Reviewed 25 September 2013

I generally like to self-manage my vacations, so after doing a lot of searching and researching, I settled on Plantation Hale Suites for my recent vacation to Kaua`i. Part of my decision was based on price, which was quite reasonable, the other on location. Not being a beach goer, I wasn't interested in a room with a view, but rather in a place to return to daily after island excursions. Plantation Hale Suites met and exceeded these needs.

From the outside, there isn't much to speak for, as the place is a complex of two-story, unassuming buildings. Each building has about eight units per floor, and there is ample, free parking out front. What raises the bar are the suites themselves. I entered the door not expecting much, and was pleasantly greeted with a well-appointed living room, complete with TV and DVD player, a full kitchen, a big, spacious king-size bed, a roomy bathroom with separate toilet and bath/shower and a walk-out porch (I was on the second floor) that stretched the entire length of the unit. I had no view - in fact, my unit faced a tree barrier to the road behind it. I actually enjoyed this, as I could keep my curtains open all night without feeling like my privacy was at risk. Nice!

The staff was pleasant, courteous and helpful. I checked in late and was asked to finish my check-in the following morning. I did so, and was given coupons to local restaurants, spas, and maps of Kaua`i. I asked the desk attendant where I might get breakfast and was directed to Eggbert's, a local eatery at the local shopping center just across the street. I wound up eating breakfast three times during my trip!

And the beach is just across the street as well. I found the view of Wailua Beach picturesque and did a lot of foot trafficking around the area. Also just across the street was the number one rated (per Yelp) restaurant, Hukilau Lanai, where I dined one night and enjoyed a marvelous dinner.

The only surprise I had was at check-in I was told there was an additional $12/day service charge. This wasn't made known to me at the time of the booking. However, the housekeeper kept me stocked with Kaua`i coffee on a daily basis, and my suite was kept clean and comfortable, so I don't begrudge the additional charge. Just be forewarned...

Located on the east side of the island, Plantation Hale Suites is centrally located for nearly every kind of activity. I traveled all over the island, logging nearly 600 miles on my rental, and even took a helicopter tour, which took off and landed at Lihu`e Airport, just ten minutes down the road. In fact, it probably took no more than 90 minutes to get to the farthest reaches of Kaua`i. I drove to Weimea Canyon, Polihale State Park, Ha`ena, Kīlauea Point, Hanalei Bay, and Poipu and found Plantation Hale Suites a perfect staging area for all of my island ventures.

Room Tip: Some second floor units may have a view to the ocean, about 200 yards away. There are five swimming...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
3  Thank fpuhan
Eric N, General Manager at Plantation Hale Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 26 September 2013

Aloha fpuhan,

I was thrilled to read all of your good comments about the property from the centralized location, spacious rooms, huge lanais, courteous staff, and clean rooms. I was pleased to hear we exceeded your expectations from the time you stepped into your suite. I will definitely share all your positive comments with our staff.

Thanks again for posting a great comment about the Plantation hale Suites. Look forward to seeing you the next time you are on the beautiful island of Kauai. It is nice to receive such a good rating and comments from a Senior Contributor. Mahalo

Aloha!!!

Reviewed 23 September 2013

The only think that stops me from giving this 5 stars is being told upon check in that I had to pay an additional 12 dollars amenity fee. This was the first time I knew about this. It was for things like wifi and DVD player that was, according to everything I had read, FREE. It also said that it covered parking and in room coffee that one would normally expect to be included in the room rate. Even with this extra cost it was still really good value but they should have been upfront about this charge and not say that item are free when they are not!

3  Thank Ray M
Eric N, General Manager at Plantation Hale Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 25 September 2013

Aloha Ray M,

I am always disappointed when we do not have the opportunity to address guest issues in person when they are on property. I will certainly share your feedback with our staff and sincerely apologize that we did not meet your expectations. Our amenity fee is fully posted on our web-site and calculates into your reservation cost when reserved on the website. In addition it is collected at check in not check out. The fee offers great value. Wi-Fi, Parking, Kauai Coffee in suite daily, Safe, 30 minutes daily of Long Distance to either the US mainland or Canada., Local calls, Beach towels, Daily Maid service, Lobby computer usage, and as you pointed out our DVD library with over 400 movies, (latest releases) a 20% discount at the SPA, and bottled water upon arrival. Most resorts in our area have individual charges for many of these items and charge additional for parking, maid service every three days and a departure cleaning fee.

Mahalo

Also consider these accommodations in or near Kapaa
Kauai Beach Resort
Hotel Coral Reef
#3 of 11 in Kapaa
7 mi away
Garden Island Inn Hotel

Been to Plantation Hale Suites? Share your experiences!