“Very nice Condo”

Plantation Hale Suites
Ranked #7 of 11 Hotels in Kapaa
Reviewed 27 December 2013 via mobile

We bought a package from Amazon that had the Plantation Hale as our hotel.

We got a very nice condo, it had a full featured kitchen, a spacious living room and a king bed on the bedroom.

I think the couch turns into a bed so the condo accommodates at least two adults and two kids.

The hotel is very well located, lots of shops and restaurants close by (walking distance) and it is kind of in the middle of the Island because it would take us an hour to go either to the North or south shore.

The beach in front of the hotel is very beautiful but it is not recommended for swimming or snorkel. We saw two turtles eating at the shore.

It has couple of pools, with a BBQ grill and some jacuzzis. They use some weird chemicals on the Jacuzzi though.

The staff was super nice and we didn't have any problems during our stay. It is not a fancy place but it is a very good deal for the price we paid so I strong recommend this hotel.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Eric N, General Manager at Plantation Hale Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 2 January 2014

Aloha claudioasfilho,

I am glad you took advantage of the Amazon promotion and chose Plantation Hale Suites for your stay here on the island of Kauai. I was thrilled to hear that you enjoyed the full kitchen, spacious living room, centralized location, and the awesome staff here at the property.

Look forward to seeing you on your next trip back to Kauai. It is nice to get such a good rating from a Contributor...

Mahalo,

Reviewed 26 December 2013

The Plantation Hale Suites is a great place to stay. You have a bedroom with two double beds, a living room, dining area, kitchen and very nice bathroom. You even have an entryway and hallway with a light outside your door for convenience. There is inside entrance for your suite. You have a lanai which overlooks a beautiful property. The kitchen has everything you need to cook, etc. There is a microwave, disposal, stove, frig, coffee maker, they even had dishtowels and dishcloths along with dishwashing soap!!! Very clean and roomy. TV was small but who cares!!!! Great place and if I ever get to go back, there is where we will stay. Right in the heart of everything, yet surrounded by such beauty!!! A great place to eat is The Bull Shed, right up the road on the left towards town. Really good food and entertainment on the weekends. Absolutely the best vacation in years!!!

Room Tip: I don't think they have a bad room. The room we had was on the ground floor and was very handy...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Waller2013

Aloha Waller2013,

I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay here at Plantation Hale Suites. I agree with you, the property is very centralized with a lot of shopping and dining just a walk away.

Thanks again for posting a your comments about the Plantation hale Suites. Look forward to seeing you the next time you are on the beautiful island of Kauai.

Mahalo

Reviewed 11 December 2013

My partner and I stayed here 8 days, from 11/29-12/7/13. I read a lot of comments from Trip Advisor before booking and most were very accurate. When we arrived, we were greeted after a long day of travel with an amazing friendly greeting from the front desk staff. Check in was a breeze, and we stayed in a remodeled unit closest to the road. I read previous reviews about the units being closest to the road being too noisy, but we found these concerns to be irrelevant to us. First, the rooms closest to the roads are actually a considerable distance from the roadway. Second, the rooms are very well insulated and even though I am a light sleeper, I never was bothered by road noise. Besides, who comes to Kauai to hang out in their condo? The bedrooms are situated in the back of the apartments with two walls as a barrier to the road and thick greenbelt adjacent to the units. The AC unit worked great and the kitchen was clean and well stocked. The condo was updated and very clean upon arrival.
The Good: The Plantation Hale is very centrally located on Kauai in Kapa'a. You can travel far north and far south in an hour. There are great restaurants withing a few blocks and lunch deals for PH guests across the street posted at the lobby at considerable discounts. Foodland and Safeway are a few blocks away, although I would not consider it safe to walk due to the busy roadway and amount of traffic. The discount card for Foodland that PH staff provided upon check-in was much appreciated and we used it and saved a lot of $$ cooking in our condo. The rooms are very functional and there is a washer and dryer in each building that are $1.50/wash and $1/dryer. Laundry soap is a deal at .50 cents at the front desk. Bring your own dryer sheets in a plastic bag and save some $$! All of the staff we encountered here were extremely friendly and helpful, particularly the front desk staff. I have stayed at a lot of hotels, and the front desk staff here are exceptional in every way. Any time and issue arose, it was immediately remedied and the answer was yes. I cannot say enough good about the aloha spirit, customer service, and kindness of the front desk staff. All beyond exceptional!!!! There was always ample parking at all times of the day and night, which was awesome. There is security on-site, clean pools and hot tubs to meet other friendly guests at, and the facility was well manicured and clean. The landscape was well maintained and the wi-fi worked perfectly. As an added bonus, a Farmers Market takes place in the parking lot of the adjacent Coconut Marketplace on Tuesday and Thursday from 9 AM-12 PM. This was such a HUGE bonus! You can select fresh papaya, mango, corn, avocados, breads, and various other fruits from the islands at bargain prices directly from the local farms. This saved us so much money and was one of the highlights of the trip! Be sure to take advantage of this if you stay here.
Areas for Improvement:
-While the beds were very comfortable, the pillows were some of the hardest, cheapest, and worst I have ever encountered. I ended up sleeping on my airplane neck pillow the entire stay after enduring a sore neck from the bad pillows. It's too bad a few more dollars weren't expended to buy quality pillows.
-Maid service here was very inconsistent. We stayed in the "E" building. The first part of our stay was amazing. Great service, very clean rooms, etc. Then for the latter part of our trip, it was obvious the maid changed. One night, maintenance brought us clean towels that the maid apparently did not have time to change. The last night, we came home exhausted after driving all day and a sunset cruise to find the maid did nothing but change the bed. No new towels, no garbage service, no cleaning, towels, coffee, etc. I was very disappointed. I went to the front desk, and they immediately provided everything I needed. There is an obvious HUGE missing link in customer service at the PH with regards to the maid service and frankly, this maid should be fired for this poor service. I am only giving PH 4 stars due to the exceptional customer service exhibited by front desk staff, who go above and beyond to provide the best customer service. I would hope management would address the deficiencies with the maid service, and I requested this be done with the front desk staff. Maids serve as an integral part of any hospitality team, and unfortunately, this area falls short at the PH and needs to be addressed asap.
-The hot tub, while clean, is kept WAY too hot, rendering it unusable but for a few minutes. I have a hot tub at home that is kept at 104 degrees and the PH hot tub is easily maintained at 106-107 degrees. Myself and every guest we encountered in the hot tub were forced to sit outside the tub due to the extreme heat. Hopefully they can turn it down a few degrees so it is usable in the future.
- Lastly, all units should have a door guard at the bottom of the door to prevent insects and lizards from crawling underneath the door. While this seems like a no-brainer, Hawaii's tropical climate does have insects, large and small, that crawl under the door. It would be very simple to put a small strip to seal the bottom of the doors so guests do not have to endure these things crawling into the rooms. While this was immediately addressed by front desk staff, management should expend the funds to install these rubber barriers so future guests do not have to deal with this. There should also be more pest control spraying around the building complexes and pool areas.
Final verdict:
I would without a doubt stay here again. The facility is clean, affordable, centrally located, and the front desk staff are second to none. They are really the glue that keeps guests returning to the Plantation Hale. In all honesty, I would give them a raise if I were their manager. They are truly exceptional. If you are looking for a great, affordable place to stay whether you are a couple, single, or a family, the Plantation Hale is a great place. You will enjoy your stay as we did and look forward to coming back.

Room Tip: Bring your own pillow or buy one locally.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
8  Thank Tundra74
Eric N, General Manager at Plantation Hale Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 26 December 2013

Aloha Tundra74,

I am happy to hear you had a great time here at Plantation Hale Suites. I will share with the Guest Service Agents all the good comments you shared about them. I would agree with you, you have hit a lot of the great things about Plantation Hale Suites from the centralized location, ample parking, clean remodelled rooms, wifi, and best of all exceptional staff...

I must say I was disappointed we let you down with the Housekeeping Services. I can assure you that is not the norm and I will share your feedback with the Executive Housekeeper. I sincerely apologize as we do our best to ensure that our guests are satisfied and we strive to meet and exceed their expectations. We care very much about our guests and their comfort.

Thank you for posting such a good review. Look forward to seeing you the next time you are on the Garden Island. It is nice to receive such a good rating and comments from a Top Contributer.

Mahalo,

Reviewed 8 December 2013

Stayed there several years ago. While not as nice as the Kauai Coast Resort, it is also not nearly
as expensive. There were several pools, as well as BBQ grills, for use. The location is central to many things,

Room Tip: Do not choose a room on the main road side of the resort - rooms on the water side will be much qui...
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Jan99645
Eric N, General Manager at Plantation Hale Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 9 December 2013

Aloha Jan99645,

Mahalo

Reviewed 7 December 2013

We stayed in a remodeled unit. The kitchen cupboards were not replaced as part of the remodel, but they received a new coat of paint. The shower was not replaced either. It was tired, but clean. The rest of the unit was fully remodeled, and was great. In particular, the living room furniture and dining room chairs were very comfortable.

We cooked nearly all of our meals at the unit, and we found the kitchen to be sufficient, and well enough stocked for basic cooking (it even had a toaster and blender). The bbqs on the grounds were also in good working order and convenient.

The hotel is in a convenient location. It is not on the beach, but it is a 100 yard walk through a vacant lot to get to the beach. Units on the 2nd floor should have a better view of the ocean than the ground floor units. Also, units perpendicular to the ocean on the 2nd floor should have a view of the ocean from the lanai.

The beach is a beautiful, fine sandy beach (great for beach walking). We spent lots of time walking the beach and it was nearly deserted every time. There are caution signs posted warning of currents etc. so we did not swim near the beach, but down the beach to the right is a small bay with a protected cove where we found swimming to be fine. There is also a trail on the top side of the beach the winds along the beach and through the various beach-side resorts.

The location of the hotel is convenient. It is right next to Coconut Marketplace (although Coconut Marketplace was closed the week we were there, reopening right after we left). There are also two grocery stores (Foodland and Safeway) just down the street; walking distance if needed. The hotel gave us a Foodland discount card when we checked in. Groceries are expensive at both stores, but that is true for Hawaii in general.

Our unit had two beds, both full size. They were comfortable, but if you need more room, we recommend requesting queen or king bed(s). The sofa in the living room was a pull-out, but we did not use it.

The staff were all friendly and accommodating, and the unit was clean and comfortable. It's not a fancy place, but the location is great and it was a great experience.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the ocean on the 2nd floor will have a better ocean view than rooms on the ground floor...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank xantippy

Aloha xantippy,

I was thrilled to read all of your good comments about the property from the centralized location, fully stocked kitchens, and remodelled rooms. I was pleased to hear we exceeded your expectations.

Thanks again for posting a great comment about the Plantation hale Suites. Look forward to seeing you the next time you are on the beautiful island of Kauai. It is nice to receive such a good rating and comments from a Senior Contributor. Mahalo

Aloha!!!

Reviewed 7 December 2013

Our 3rd stay here and continued to meet our expectations. Staff were extremely friendly and helpful with all of our needs. We are a family of 4 with two little kids and we were able to request a crib for the youngest which worked out perfectly. We had one of the renovated suites and it was very nice. We will definitely be back again!

Room Tip: If travelling with little ones, we found a ground floor room was much better having stayed in 2nd fl...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Steve M

Aloha Steve M,

Welcome back, I see you have stayed here 3 times already. Its nice to hear that the suite you stayed in was very comfortable for your whole family. I was glad to hear that the staff were extremely friendly and helpful, I will share the postive feed back to the staff.

Thanks again for the great review. Look forward to seeing you when you return for the 4th time to Plantation Hale Suites...

Mahalo...

Reviewed 5 December 2013

Plantation Hale is an excellent choice for people on a budget. I stayed in one of the older suites (there are newly renovated suites available at a higher rate) and was happy with the room. Yes, there was a musty smell upon arrival, but the AC took care of that quickly.

The suite has a separate bedroom and a full living area with a couch and dining room table. There is a kitchen with a stove, microwave and full-size refridgerator. You can save money buying groceries at the nearby Foodland or Safeway, instead of dining out all of the time.

This is not a full-service resort: there's no room service, no restaurant on site, and the nearby Coconut Plantation Marketplace is a sadly-neglected shopping center with a handful of stores and 2-3 places to eat. However, it is a quick trip to Kapaa or Lihue, with many dining and shopping choices available nearby.

The hotel staff were all very friendly, there was very little noise from other guests or the pool near our building, and overall I was very happy with this visit. I would definitely stay at Plantation Hale again.

Room Tip: Indicate any special needs when making your reservation, they will honor them.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Ann_HI

Aloha Ann_HI,

I am glad you enjoyed your stay here at the Plantation Hale Suites. I will share the postive comments with the staff.

Thankyou for posting a good review. I look forward to seeing you the next time you are on the Garden Island.

Mahalo...

Also consider these accommodations in or near Kapaa
Kauai Beach Resort
Koloa Landing Resort at Poipu, Autograph Collection
The Kauai Inn
The Kauai Inn
#7 of 11 in Lihue

Been to Plantation Hale Suites? Share your experiences!