This was our first trip to Kauai having been to Maui a couple of years ago. I was looking for a special place to spend my husband's “milestone” birthday. With lots of great advice from the travel forum, and a thorough reading of previously posted reviews, I narrowed my search down to the Kapaa area for the convenience of access to exploring all parts of the island and handy shopping close by. I opted to book a one week vacation package with Westjet Vacations which included airfare & accommodation at a good price for a facility that offered full kitchen facilities. Plantation Hale Suites fit the bill!
We knew we would be arriving after the reception desk closes at 11pm and were therefore pleased to be met by security staff who was waiting to gave us the entry card for suite H-15. This was a poolview unit on the second floor of building H with two double beds. Our suite appears to have had some recent upgrading in the way of fresh paint, new duvets & curtains, newer living and bedroom furniture and newer countertops in the kitchen & bathroom. It was spacious and the full kitchen was adequate despite the noisy fridge which ran constantly and the old stove which featured push buttons rather than a dial and somewhat temperamental burners. Microwave, toaster, coffee machine and blender worked like a charm! The few items missing from the kitchen (cutting board, dish cloth, dish towel) were provided within minutes of being requested. Internet connection was excellent thanks to the in suite router. Hot water with good pressure for showering was excellent but unfortunately the acrylic tub/shower combo unit has seen better days and badly needs to be replaced or refinished. Even the most meticulous cleaning of the shower tub unit still makes it look dirty and dingy. Maid service seemed a bit hit and miss. The sheets were not changed once during our 7 day stay but that could well have been our fault because we made the beds ourselves. We did appreciate the option to be environmentally friendly and re-use our towels rather than have them changed daily. The tiled area of the suite could have used a thorough damp mopping which it didn't get but the carpet was vacuumed regularly. The laundry room with coin operated machines on the first floor of building H was handy.
As other reviewers have said, the staff at Plantation Hale are second to none. Always a friendly hello, any and all questions answered, always helpful – true Aloha spirit! Holly at the Expedia tour desk next to reception was a joy to deal with and every suggestion she made was bang on.
One big plus for the Plantation Hale is the proximity to shopping. Everything you could need or want was within walking distance! I would go so far as to say that if exploring the island wasn't in your plans, you could save the expense of a car rental. We loved the farmers' market set up at the Coconut Market Place on Thursday morning for fresh fruits & veggies, the Foodland grocery store which gives a discount to PH guests and the Passion Cafe/Bakery where we bought our baked goods. Although we opted to prepare all of our own meals, there were many restaurants near by. The Expedia rep. has numerous discount coupons for several of the eateries as well as bike and snorkel equipment rental so make sure you touch bases with the rep. soon after your arrival.
I would not hesitate to recommend Plantation Hale, but unfortunately I would not return simply because the constant traffic noise from Hwy. 56 was unpleasant, especially at night. When we vacation in a tropical climate, we look forward to sleeping with the windows open. This was just not possible due to the noise. We also noticed construction fencing and heavy equipment being moved onto the presently vacant land next to the Plantation Hale. We suspect a new development of some kind is about to begin construction. How much daytime noise will be generated and how it will affect Plantation Hale guests remains to be seen. Unfortunately these noise issues are beyond the control of Plantation Hale staff and management but I feel I need to point them out if my review is to be considered an honest assessment of our stay. Thanks for reading!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Plantation Hale Suites is located in the heart of Kauai on the scenic Royal Coconut Coast and steps away from Waipouli Beach. Enjoy spacious one bedroom suite accommodations (738 sq ft) with the finest amenities such as full kitchens and private lanais. Suites sleep up to six people. High speed Wi Fi,Flat Screen LCD TV's with Cable (60 preimum channels)Blu-Ray DVD, Movie library,350 DVD's. Planation Hale has three outdoor pools,(4)picnic and BBQ areas, whirlpool spas, Shuffle Board. The resort offers several restaurants, full Concierge and Activities Desk, mini market, ATM, and a SPA. Located nearby, Golf, Tennis, Horseback Riding, Wailua River and Kayaking,Opaeka'a Falls, Waimea Canyon, Hiking Trails. Kauai's best location and value. great for a romantic getaway, or a family vacation. Our dedicated staff welcomes you with the true Aloha spirit. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com and Odigeo so you can book your Plantation Hale Suites reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Plantation Hale Hotel Kapaa
- Best Western Kapaa
- Kapaa Best Western
- Plantation Hale Suites Kauai, Hawaii - Kapaa