“Well located for exploring Kauai” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Plantation Hale Suites

Plantation Hale Suites
Ranked #9 of 11 Hotels in Kapaa
White Rock, Canada
“Well located for exploring Kauai”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 February 2014

This was our first trip to Kauai having been to Maui a couple of years ago. I was looking for a special place to spend my husband's “milestone” birthday. With lots of great advice from the travel forum, and a thorough reading of previously posted reviews, I narrowed my search down to the Kapaa area for the convenience of access to exploring all parts of the island and handy shopping close by. I opted to book a one week vacation package with Westjet Vacations which included airfare & accommodation at a good price for a facility that offered full kitchen facilities. Plantation Hale Suites fit the bill!

We knew we would be arriving after the reception desk closes at 11pm and were therefore pleased to be met by security staff who was waiting to gave us the entry card for suite H-15. This was a poolview unit on the second floor of building H with two double beds. Our suite appears to have had some recent upgrading in the way of fresh paint, new duvets & curtains, newer living and bedroom furniture and newer countertops in the kitchen & bathroom. It was spacious and the full kitchen was adequate despite the noisy fridge which ran constantly and the old stove which featured push buttons rather than a dial and somewhat temperamental burners. Microwave, toaster, coffee machine and blender worked like a charm! The few items missing from the kitchen (cutting board, dish cloth, dish towel) were provided within minutes of being requested. Internet connection was excellent thanks to the in suite router. Hot water with good pressure for showering was excellent but unfortunately the acrylic tub/shower combo unit has seen better days and badly needs to be replaced or refinished. Even the most meticulous cleaning of the shower tub unit still makes it look dirty and dingy. Maid service seemed a bit hit and miss. The sheets were not changed once during our 7 day stay but that could well have been our fault because we made the beds ourselves. We did appreciate the option to be environmentally friendly and re-use our towels rather than have them changed daily. The tiled area of the suite could have used a thorough damp mopping which it didn't get but the carpet was vacuumed regularly. The laundry room with coin operated machines on the first floor of building H was handy.

As other reviewers have said, the staff at Plantation Hale are second to none. Always a friendly hello, any and all questions answered, always helpful – true Aloha spirit! Holly at the Expedia tour desk next to reception was a joy to deal with and every suggestion she made was bang on.

One big plus for the Plantation Hale is the proximity to shopping. Everything you could need or want was within walking distance! I would go so far as to say that if exploring the island wasn't in your plans, you could save the expense of a car rental. We loved the farmers' market set up at the Coconut Market Place on Thursday morning for fresh fruits & veggies, the Foodland grocery store which gives a discount to PH guests and the Passion Cafe/Bakery where we bought our baked goods. Although we opted to prepare all of our own meals, there were many restaurants near by. The Expedia rep. has numerous discount coupons for several of the eateries as well as bike and snorkel equipment rental so make sure you touch bases with the rep. soon after your arrival.

I would not hesitate to recommend Plantation Hale, but unfortunately I would not return simply because the constant traffic noise from Hwy. 56 was unpleasant, especially at night. When we vacation in a tropical climate, we look forward to sleeping with the windows open. This was just not possible due to the noise. We also noticed construction fencing and heavy equipment being moved onto the presently vacant land next to the Plantation Hale. We suspect a new development of some kind is about to begin construction. How much daytime noise will be generated and how it will affect Plantation Hale guests remains to be seen. Unfortunately these noise issues are beyond the control of Plantation Hale staff and management but I feel I need to point them out if my review is to be considered an honest assessment of our stay. Thanks for reading!

6 Thank Kurtsoma
Eric N, General Manager at Plantation Hale Suites, responded to this review, 3 February 2014
Aloha Kurtsoma,

I am glad you chose Plantation Hales Suites for your first time to Hawaii. I was thrilled to read in your review that you had no regrets as the rooms was nice and you enjoyed the great hospitality of our staff (I will share this with them).

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (225)
westlock
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 January 2014

This was our first trip to Kauai,after extensive research this looked like our best choice.
Right next to the Coconut Market Place;which has eateries and plenty of retail outlets.Across the street is a "non swimming beach" but awesome photo ops!
As the condo itself goes: Nicely groomed grounds, pools were clean,rooms were respectable.BBQ's on site was a plus.
When we arrived at check in we were told "oh we upgraded you to a king bed & a pool view" Thank You for that!!

1 Thank duanenapa
Aloha duanenapa,

I am glad to hear we exceeded your expectation when you arrived to the property with a king size bed and a pool view. The property is very centralized on the island and is very close to a lot of shops and restaurants near by. It is nice to hear we helped make your first trip to Kauai a memorable one. Look forward to seeing you again on your next trip to Kauai. Thank you for posting good comments and a good rating for the Plantation Hale Suites.

Wasilla, Alaska
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 January 2014

Loved staying here! Went for our honeymoon. Surrounded by a few different resorts. Walking distance to the hub of downtown Kapaa! Enjoyed the culture and being able to walk to the beach. Close to markets and tons of restaurants! If you don't want to go out you can stay in and rent a variety of blu-ray or DVD right at the front desk. This place really had everything! Ask the concierge of shows or dinner specials in the area! Enjoy!

• Stayed December 2013
2 Thank Tara B
Aloha Tara B,

Happy Honeymoon.... I was pleased to hear you loved it here at Plantation Hale Suites. We look forward to seeing you on your next visit to Kauai. Thank you for posting such a great review and a 5 star rating of our property.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 January 2014

We have never been to Hawaii. After hours of reading reviews who do you go with.
We choose Plantation Hale and have no regrets. Room was Nice, people were very nice. Thankyou Crystal and Holly. We really enjoyed the Kitchenette! Cut down on food expenses tremendously. I would certainly return without
hesitation. Kauai was beautiful.

• Stayed January 2014
2 Thank ADMOVERS
Eric N, General Manager at Plantation Hale Suites, responded to this review, 28 January 2014
Aloha ADMOVERS,

Kapaa, Hawaii
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 January 2014

We are midway in a month-long stay at Plantation Hale. The location is good and the grounds, pool and barbecue areas are very well maintained. Too well maintained I might say because gas engines seem to be going all day every day. I'm ready for some peace.

The internet service is poor. Signal strength is very low and the staff says it is because they do not have routers in all rooms. Yesterday I couldn't even pick up a signal in their lobby and was instructed to call an outside service provider, spend my time diagnosing their problem. The poor signal returned after they hit their reset button.

My laptop is barely operable here and my iPad can't make an internet connection at all. If you rely on your computer to stay in touch, better find another spot to stay. I have complained about this twice at the desk and they seem not at all concerned.

I have repaired the kitchen cabinet door which fell off, the curtain rod which fell off and they kindly replaced the coffee pot which was broken when we arrived. I really wish I had upgraded to a little nicer place.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
Aloha Rwbman,

I must say I was disappointed we let you down with our internet service. We did have some challenges with the internet through our local internet provider, and they have since come out an addressed the issue we were having. I sincerely apologize as we do our best to ensure that our guests are satisfied and we strive to meet and exceed their expectations. We care very much about our guests and their comfort.

Thank you for posting your comments and rating for Plantation Hale Suites.

Saint Paul, Minnesota
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 January 2014

Although we tend to prefer VRBO-type places, this is one of the hotels we like a lot. The location is perfect, about equidistant timewise from Waimea or Hanalei (and not in Lihue), and only a few blocks from Long's and Foodland. Multiple pools on-site, or a short walk to a beach. Well laid-out and furnished rooms (it really is a suite), with a fully equipped kitchen (so the short trip to Foodland is even more worthwhile). The furnishings are somewhat dated, but the price is very good and the overall value is high. It's NOT a high-end resort in Poipu or Princeville, but then you aren't paying for one either. A very comfortable place that we have used several times in the past and will again in the future.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank JRote
Eric N, General Manager at Plantation Hale Suites, responded to this review, 15 January 2014
Aloha JRote,

I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay here at Plantation Hale Suites. I agree with you, the property is very centralized with a lot of shopping and dining just a walk away.

Thank you for posting such a good review. Look forward to seeing you the next time you are on the Garden Island. It is nice to receive such a good rating and comments from a Top Contributer.

Mahalo
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 January 2014 via mobile

On our second trip to Kauai, my wife and I spent 6 days at Plantation Hale Suites. Our experience was great! We recommend the place and will definitely go back when we return to Kauai. We really like the central location in Kapaa, which makes it easy to drive south to Lihue or to Poipu (where most of the big resorts are), west to Waimea, or north to Princeville and Hanalei. Kapaa has easy access to groceries, restaurants, shopping, and more. Plantation Hale Suites is not a high end resort, but it is a terrific option for what it is -- a clean, comfortable, affordable, apartment-like place to stay on Kauai. Our suite featured a bedroom with 2 queen beds, living room with sofa sleeper and dinette set, full-equipped kitchen (which makes it easy to eat in), and bath. The complex has pools, hot tubs, outdoor grills, and free wifi. It is located next to the Coconut Marketplace shopping center and right across from Hukilau Lanai which is probably the best restaurant on Kauai. We were on the second level and so had a lanai with a view of the ocean about 150 yards away. The complex is not on the ocean, but it is a short walk to the beach. However, the beach there is not ordinarily recommended for swimming. But, it is close to Lydgate Beach Park, popular with locals and tourists alike, which has a sheltered swimming area, and it only takes about 30 minutes to drive to Poipu which is where we spent most of our beach time. The staff at the complex was friendly and helpful. The rates are affordable (what you might pay for a hotel room alone), and we got a discount (6th night free with 5 nights paid). It's hard to beat that!

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank James L
Aloha James L,

I am glad to hear you had a great time at the Plantation Hale Suites. You are correct, the property is centralized on Kauai and is located next to the Marketplace which has an array of shops and dining. I am glad you enjoyed staying in our one bedroom suites which has a separate bedroom and living room with a fully stocked kitchen. I will share with the staff the great comments about their hospitality and the cleanliness of your rooms while you were here.

Thank you for posting such a good review and a 5 star rating. Look forward to seeing you the next time you are on the Garden Island. It is nice to receive such a good rating and comments from a Senior Contributer.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kapaa
Aston Islander on the Beach
Koloa Landing Resort
Hotel Coral Reef
Hotel Coral Reef
#5 of 11 in Kapaa

Been to Plantation Hale Suites? Share your experiences!