“Great customer service. ”

Plantation Hale Suites
Ranked #9 of 11 Hotels in Kapaa
Tucson, Arizona
“Great customer service. ”
Reviewed 12 July 2014 via mobile

Great place to stay for the price and great location. The first room they gave us had what looked like baby cockroaches crawling on the kitchen counter. The lady at the front desk was apologetic and quick to fix the problem and get us a different room. The beds were really comfortable. The kitchens had most everything you would need for cooking some simple meals if you chose to do so. Overall it was a nice experience.

Stayed July 2014
1 Thank brandonj270
Eric N, General Manager at Plantation Hale Suites, responded to this review, 24 July 2014
Aloha Brandon J,

I am glad you called the desk to advise them of your findings. I was pleased to read that the Guest Service Agents took very good care of you and took care of the situation and made you experience a very positive one.

I wanted to assure you that all the units are maintained monthly by a professional pest control company and it is not the norm due to the humidity but sometimes roaches may enter the unit unwelcomely when the sliding glass door or windows are left wide open by guests.

We care very much about our guests and their comfort.

Thank you for taking the time to post a review on the Plantation Hale Suites.

Mahalo,

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (232)
Chula Vista, California
Reviewed 9 July 2014

my wife, two granddaughters and I very much enjoyed our 10 day stay at the Plantation Suites.
Hotel staff Crystal made our request accommodations so we had an upstairs suite with a view of the ocean!
The hotel staff quickly responded to our needs (help us with the TV, extra towels, etc.) and they were most courteous.
I traveled extensively when I worked for the U.S. Department of Justice, and I especially notice when I have experienced a good stay at a hotel property.

I would highly recommend to anyone the Plantation Suites for an enjoyable stay in the Isle of Kauai. the property is stragecially located on the east side of the island equal distance to the north shore or to Poipu beach in the south of the island

Don Masters
July 8, 2014

Room Tip: ask for a room facing east to the ocean
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Aloha outsurfing,

Thank you for posting such a nice review and giving Plantation Hale Suites a 5 star rating. I am glad to hear you loved the property and the staff.

Hopefully you had enough time to see all the beautiful sights around the island.

Look forward to seeing you back in the near future.

Honolulu, Hawaii
Reviewed 8 July 2014

First of all, we stayed at Plantation Hale 1 night before and 1 night after we returned from our adventure. Our adventure was staying in Kalalau valley for 5 days.

When we first checked in, we were able to switch rooms and check in a bit earlier than the set time. After we dropped off our bags we got pool towels and went straight to the pool and hot tub. After an hour, we walked across the inner street and towards the beach. The neighboring hotel, The Kauai Coast Resort allows people to also use their pool and eat at their pool bar (warning, the pool bar takes really long to make anything and is expensive). Since this hotel is along the ocean it opens up to the public beach, which is rocky and has lots of coral.

The next morning we checked out at 5:30am and the front desk held a box of things we didn't need. We wrote my name and "Returning on Friday" all over the box. When we returned on Friday, we got the box and were able to check in to our rooms right away. Since we just finished hiking 11 miles with 20-30 lbs each, we scarfed down pizza and passed out. The next morning we checked out and went back to the Kauai Coast Resort. Again, we were able to leave our bags at the front desk AND the girl actually scheduled a taxi for the exact time we wanted with the company we liked.

The rooms were clean and way bigger than we expected. Not luxury but definitely not dirty or run down either. The furniture was more of an island theme. We had two beds in the bedroom, a living room, decent sized full kitchen with refrigerator and freezer, and split bathroom (shower and toilet together) and the sink outside. You can turn on the AC in the bedroom which flows into the living room or open the doors for a fresh breeze. Each room does have its own balcony.

There is a Foodland and a general store nearby. There are also a few retail shops and some great places to eat in the little shopping plaza. But if you're looking for shopping head to Hanalei.

Staying at Plantation Hale helped prevent a lot of stress from this vacation and they were very accommodating. We could not have asked for a better place.

Room Tip: I didn't notice any elevators. Each building has two floors and stairs to access the second floo...
1 Thank Jason Y
Aloha Jason Y,

Wow, what a great review. Thank you for giving Plantation Hale a 5 star rating. I am glad we were a part of your vacation experience while you were on our beautiful island. Its nice to come in and read all the positive comments about the property and staff.

We look forward to seeing you again when you come back to Kauai.

Sainte-Foy, Quebec, Canada
Reviewed 2 July 2014

We (party of 5) stayed there for a week. Kapaa is "central" to the island. About 1 hour ride to each side of the island.

Room was clean and the A.C. was most welcome, as well as the piscine/spa. The area is quiet. Close to restaurants and groceries.

Condo contains everything you need (towels, beach mats, full kitchen, etc.). We didn't interact much with the staff, but they were welcoming.

Overall, a great place to stay for the price. Would stay there again.

2 Thank Jeff C
Aloha Jeff C,

I was glad to see that you enjoyed your stay at Plantation Hale Suites. I was pleased to read that you liked the centralized location, clean rooms, and welcoming staff.

Thank you for giving us a good review. Hope to see you again in the near future.

San Diego, California
Reviewed 30 June 2014

This was my second trip to Kauai and I wanted to do things in all areas of the island, from the north to the south and west ends . Staying in Kapaa was very convenient. Early in the morning it was a 40 minute drive north to the end of the road (Ke'e Beach and Kalalau Trailhead) or a 60+ minute drive to the end of the road at Waimea Canyon (depending on number of stops at the gorgeous "vista points" along the way).

Depending on time of day, the traffic on the 1 and 2 lane (each side) roads can significantly add time to the commute, so Hanalei to end of Waimea Canyon could be a 2 hour trip. . . . making it an all day event with up to 4 hours on the road :-( . . . . .

So if you want to make the most of all parts of the island, Lihue and Kapaa are the most geographically convenient.

Kapaa is not a "resort-ish" area. Stay in Poipu, Lihue or Princeville for that kind of atmosphere.

Plantation Hale was very reasonable. It is an older facility, but they are refurbishing/updating the rooms. I stayed in a 1 bedroom (two beds) with a livingroom (sofa bed) and a full kitchen with adequate appliances/pots/pans/etc. Since I was there for 5 nights, It was nice not to have to eat out for 3 meals a day.

The grounds were neat and clean and the staff was helpful and pleasant. I would definitely stay here again.

3 Thank gksandiego
Aloha gksandiego,

I am glad to hear you enjoyed your stay here at Plantation Hale Suites. Thank you for giving us a 5 star rating. Yes, we get a lot of positive comments about the centralized location, spacious rooms with separate living/bedroom with full kitchens, and best of all our awesome staff.

Look forward to seeing you on your third trip to the island....

Chino, California
Reviewed 28 June 2014

Definitely coming back to this place! great service and prompt to room service. Love the fact that rooms look so homelike and the kitchenette made it easy to cook and save extra money on food. Crystal at front desk was very courteous and friendly. Great Job Plantation Hale.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Tati A
Aloha Tati A,

Thank you for rating Plantation Hale Suites a 5 star rating. I am glad you enjoyed the look and feel of the renovated rooms with full kitchens. Yes, we are very fortunate to have someone like Crystal working here at the property. She is a great asset to the Plantation Hale Team. We look forward to seeing you back on your next vacation to Kauai....

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 26 June 2014

We stayed at the Plantation Hale Apartments for a week from 27/05/14- 3/6/14. We were a party of 8 people from Sydney Australia. We had 2 adjacent "Scenic View Apartments" in Building F on the top floor of the two level building. In one apartment was my daughter her husband and her four young children ages 9, 6, 4 and two. I was in the other apartment with my wife. We are retired and 66 and 67 years young respectively !!, on our second trip to Hawai.

It was a great place to stay in, quiet and relaxing, with spacious rooms, approximately 70m3 There are 3 seperate swimming pools with a hot tub at the back of the individiual apartment buildings. My daughter's kids loved playing there and most of the time they had the pool to themselves as it was off season. Each pool had good barbecue facilities and one warm pleasant night my son in law "fired up the barbie" and we had a great meal. The large lanai was very safe for young children with nice views towards the ocean, across a field with nice trees which did not obstruct the view. It takes 2 minutes walking of pleasant walking along the paved access pathway right outside Building F to get to the beach.

The beach is not safe for swimming but it is really nice to walk along the paved pathway or along the beach itself, in both directions, with beatiful scenic vistas of the surrounding hills and coastline. There are a number of other resorts in the area which have very pleasant grounds which you can walk through. Eventually there will be a fully paved path/cycle way from Donkey Beach in the North right down to Lydgate Beach Park in the South a distance of about 8 or 9 Miles. I had a very pleasant walk along part of the completed pathway, which starts opposite Taco Bell, gently undulating up and down adjacent to the spectacular Pacific Oceon with incredible views up and down the Coastline.. Lydgate Beach Park itself, is a safe ideal spot for kids to swim/play, with two enclosed rock pools, in which you can also snorkel and see the fish which come to feed there. There are spacious grassy areas, showers and restroom facilitie and a fantastic huge playground with a climbing castle in which kids can get literally lost in, as did my eldest 9 year old grandaugter. In fact the grandkids loved this place so much that my daughter could not get them out of the place !!

To get to Lydgate Beach Park if you dont have a rent a car involves either a 20 to 25 minute walk or you can catch the local bus from the Coconut Market Place.

My wife and I had a Dollar Rent A Car, which we picked up from the Airport. It's a roughly 7 mile 15 minute drive from Lihue Airport, along the ever busy Kuhio Highway. Dollar try to get you to buy extra insurance, as their basic cover apparantly leads you very liable if you have any sort of accident/collision. I was a bit dubious about their claims but paid the extra insurance anyway.

There are very good shopping, dining opportunies near the Plantation Hale. The rather sad looking Coconunt Shopping Centre is a few minutes away and when we was waiting for our room to be available, we had some okay hamburgers and hot dogs at AJ's. At least half of the previous shops at the Coconut Market Place have closed dow,n but there are still quite a few gift shops and clothing stores there. On certain days they have child hula show performances in the early evening.

Because our apartments had seperate kitchens we utilized them quite a bit, especially my daughters family, as Kauai is quite expensive in general for eating out. Fortunately there is a very good Safeway Supermarket, about a ten minute walk away on Kuhio HIghway. The front desk will give you a "Maikai Discount Card'' which you can use to get good discouonts at Safeway, which makes the prices of groceries more reasonable, LIke everywhere in Kauai the local people are incredibly friendly and the Safeway staff are no exception. I was amazied by the expensive Spam section. Kapaa must be the spam capital of thw World !!. Also there is an extensive Pizza section with cheap surprisingly tasty, thick juicy pizzas. My duaghter and her husband always seemed to be heating up pizzas in their kitchen, although their oven was faulty and the fire alarm nearly activated when smoke began to billow through the kitchen !! Although they reported this problem to the front desk they preferred to use our kitchen after this to heat up their pizzas!!

As far as eating out there are quite a few reasonable places near the Plantation Hale. My duaghters family were raving abouth the Greek Restaulrant with enormous portions along Kuhio highway near the Cocunut Market place, while me and my wife went to a nice Thai restaurant opposite the street from the from the Greek Restaurant, with similarly large portioned meals. We also went to the no frills Waipouli Family Restaurant next to the Safeway store for some cheap tasty, Asian style fare and I was amazed at the Japanse waitress who said that the tip I was about to give here was too large !! We also got some nice reasonably priced takeway Chinese food from the Panda Express outlet, which is Near the Foodland Supermarket. ( I found Safeway to be much better than Foodland)

As for other Shopping options the Kikue Shopping Centre Grove near the airport is a modern very clean complex with amongst other stores, a recently opened Sports Authority. Close buy is a large WalMart Store with a Macdonalds Restaurant on site.

We made use of our rental car by having a good look around. Where we stayed at Kapaa was an ideal base to travel from, being close driving distance to most of the Island's major attractions. The Waimea Canyon about an hours drivee away is absolutely stunning with incredbile views of the Canyon and the Coastline far below. Another not to be missed exculsion is to take a boat trip from Anini Beach on the North Shore, ( about 35 mins drive away), near Hanaie along the spectacular Na Pali Coastline. The four hour trip using Na Pali Sea Breeze Tours, on their 34 foot power cat, accomodating at most 16 people, costing $175 was worth every cent. The scenery was abosolutely unbelievabel and during the trip the Captain stops at a nice sheltered spot, for some snorkelling in crystal clear waters with loads of tropical fish. We also visited Wailua Falls lookout, to see the powrful watefull crashing down far below and the equally impressive Opaeka falls. Both of these falls are in close proximity to Kappaa. Another nice place to visit is to drive to the South Shore and visit Poipu with its's aquamarine water and safe swimming beaches. My daughter enjoyed her usual gigantic Hot Chocolate with whipped cream at a Starbucks not far from the beach.

In summary then I would not hesitate to stay at Plantation Hale again. We had a great stay there and can't get back to visit again one day.

Room Tip: The "Scenic View Rooms'' on the second floor are much quieter as they do not face the...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
5 Thank MICHAELSYDAUST
Eric N, General Manager at Plantation Hale Suites, responded to this review, 27 June 2014
Aloha MICHAEL SYDAUST,

Thank you for giving Plantation Hale Suites a 5 star rating and such a wonderful review. I was pleased to read that you were able to take advantage of the 3 pools, barbeque areas, and the kitchens in both of your units. Having the kitchens as you noted in your review sets Plantation Hale Suites apart from the rest as you are able to save some money as you did by being able to create some home cooked meals.... Wow, in reading your review you and your family did a lot while on Kauai.

Thanks again for the 5 star rating and the great review. We hope to have you back at Plantation Hale Suites the next time you come to the Garden Isle (Kauai)....
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kapaa
Kauai Shores Hotel
Hotel Coral Reef
Hotel Coral Reef
#3 of 11 in Kapaa
Courtyard Kaua'i at Coconut Beach

Been to Plantation Hale Suites? Share your experiences!