“Large and Clean - Amazing Value!” 5 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Plantation Hale Suites
Ranked #7 of 11 Hotels in Kapaa
Waltham, MA
“Large and Clean - Amazing Value!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2009

Our suite was large, comfortable, and clean. The hotel is across a small grass field from the water (it's a small beach with some rocks, so it's not ideal for swimming... but is great for relaxing in the sun by the water).

The hotel is in the "Coconut Marketplace" - a 3 minute walk from many small shops and restaurants, as well as a chain corner variety store.

For the price and location, I was blown away. You need a rental car to enjoy Kauai, and this was a perfect starting point for all of our daytrips.

The free wireless is supposed to be available in public areas. I was unable to get it in my room itself, but if I was out on the balcony of the room, I got a very strong signal.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
      Cleanliness

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (221)
Phoenix, Arizona
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2009

My husband, three kids and I stayed in a one bedroom suite in building "A".

Bedroom:
Two beds, large closet with mirror doors, although bed was very close to door so hard to use mirror or closet.
Pros: plenty of room, dresser with 6 large drawers, TV on dresser.

Cons: A/C unit by wall (common wall between livingroom and bedroom) in bedroom had some sort of contraption on half of it to direct half of the air into the livingroom since it was the only A/C unit in the whole place. Took a long time to cool off the place. It was pretty much was only cold in the middle of the night.

My husband though the beds were too hard and we didn't sleep well, but the kids slept fine.

Kitchen:
Pros: Decent size, had stove, small microwave, large refrigerator, sink, plates, cups, a few bowls, cutting board, a couple of very dull knives, utensils, dish soap (no dishwasher), coffee maker w/coffee.

Cons: We wanted to cook in the kitchen and bought groceries to do so, only to discover half of the things that were suppose to be in the kitchen were missing. The only things we had to cook with were one large pot and two tiny sauce pans. Nothing for the oven at all. We didn't even have a spatula or skillet. I called housekeeping the first day and they brought a skillet. The next day I called again and they brought me a spatula. I asked about an oven pan or cookie sheet and they told me they don't supply anything to use in the oven (??). After a couple of days I discovered, taped inside a cabinet, a list of supplies that are suppose to be in the kitchen. I did inventory and we were missing many of those things (I was afraid we'd be charged for them), which I brought to the attention of the front desk, but the only thing they brought us from the list was a scouring pad to do the dishes. Let me warn you: the skillet and pans are very cheap (as to be expected) and everything we cooked stuck in the pans really bad, and had to be soaked and scrubbed and scraped with a spoon when cleaned. You may want to invest in a non-stick skillet for use there.

Livingroom:
Pros: carpet looked fairly new, room was spacious. Small table with two chairs, but a small stool or two were also behind kitchen counter. Very long lanai ( going from sliding glass doors in bedroom to the one's in the livingroom). Tiny table and two plastic chairs outside.

Cons: Couch looked pretty old, but it was a good size and fairly comfortable. I didn't discover until day 3 when I saw two new pillowcases left on the table by housekeeping that day that there were suppose to be pillows for the sofabed. My kids had been using the couch pillows. So, I called housekeeping and they brought up two pillows. I called them right back and asked if we could possibly have one extra pillow (this would only be one more than the amount of people we had staying there...I like to use two) and suddenly they were "all out of pillows".

Bathroom:
Pros: Nice granite counter with large mirror, large enough for two girls to get ready at once. Seperate door to toilet and shower. Door to this area also.

Cons: Shower door had major issues. Very hard to open and close. At times, would not close all the way.

Noise: Very quiet the whole time we were there.

Activities Desk: Very nice lady working there, much help. Got us tickets and answered questions. Only one lady working the desk and usually had to wait or come back later.

Housekeeping: The lady I spoke to when I called was very nice and friendly.
I do feel that they probably should have been aware of all the things missing from our kitchen, though, and kept it stocked according to the 'list'. It's hard to cook eggs in a small saucepan with a spoon, then clean the stuck on food with a wash cloth.

My husband bought me a hand-made hairpiece one day while we were there, that a local made, and I had left it on the kitchen counter. It disappeared. Never saw it again. I don't know how it left the place, but we didn't take it out of there, or throw it away.

Grounds: Nicely manicured landscape. Buildings could use a paint job. We saw no bugs while we were there. Small pool, but very clean and nice (and I think there are other pools there, as well). You have to walk through a field to get to the ocean and you can't swim there---I saw people having bonfires there a hundred feet down. Worth a walk down if only to take a picture.

Internet in the lobby area (one computer you can use)

Location:
Right next to Coconut Marketplace where you can get some food and souvenires. Not crowded when we were there.

All in all, I think it was worth the price we paid. My only big issues were with the missing kitchen supplies, the shower door, and my missing hair- piece. We had to sign a paper saying that we won't hold them responsible for anything missing when we checked in, which we have never had to do before anywhere, so that was interresting. Between the 5 of us, we had a lot of things there and I don't know yet if anything else disappeared.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank suntravlr
The Hague, The Netherlands
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 June 2009

The room smelled, but got plenty of space, and very silent at night, the nearby shopping center is not that active anymore.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 June 2009

This Hotel is Truly "A Hidden Gem!"
After Alot of Research, We Decided on The Best Western Plantation Hale Suites.
We had stayed at a Best Western Before & it was an awful experience so, we were slightly hesitant about this one but, after all of the great reviews we read, we decided to take a chance on it. To Our Surprise, this was not what we were expecting at all. Upon arrival we were greated with wash cloths to wipe off and hands and face and given towels & keys to our condo. Yes "Condo!" It was a 1 Bedroom / 1 Bath condo with a kitchen and nice sized Living / Dining Room. The place was extremely clean, as well as the pool and well maintained grounds. Our only complain were the Wild Roosters! At first we thought it was funny that they would "Call" about every 3 minutes but, at night when you are trying to sleep its not sooo funny anymore.
Kauai was very beautiful but the food is outrageously expensive!
We visited a grocery store and bought the minimum to cook while we were there.
Unfortunately our sinuses could not handle the dampness in the air so, our time on the island was cut slightly short. Overall I would recommend this place to anyone.

• Stayed April 2008, travelled as a couple
Mount Joy, PA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 June 2009

After reading all of the more recent reviews of Plantation Hale, my expectations were appropriately set. In an effort not to repeat everyone else, I'll just say this... If this is a once in a life time trip or your primary goal of going to Kauai is to hang around the hotel and relax, do not stay at Plantation Hale as you will be disappointed. But, if you are going to Kauai to adventure, hike, snorkel, etc., Plantation Hale is exactly what you need.
The price is right, the location is great for touring the entire island, the units have ample space, and the kitchen is fully equipped.

A few things I don't believe anyone else mentioned are 1) a room safe if available for $1.50 per day although it is not large enough for a laptop, 2) the internet access is not wireless but it is fast, free and in your unit, 3) make sure you have a Costco membership (we spent $250 at Costco and fed ourselves for 2 weeks eating out only twice), 4) there are several gas grills throughout the hotel grounds for cooking steaks, burgers, etc. 5) there is plenty of parking and it is free, 6) you avoid the $18 per day resort fee with this hotel.

Hope this was helpful! Enjoy Kauai...it is a beautiful island!

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
fresno
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 May 2009

Perfect for family! Everything you need. Very clean every day. Next to Coconut Market Place many shops and great pizza "Aloha Kauai Pizza." Richard is so nice. Banana Pancakes at Eggberts 3 x's "Oh MY Gosh." All the food is expensive. We shopped at Foodland and even had to fill a prescription. Nice peope in the ER!! Bought to much food. Depending which side of island you are on, you may only eat one meal at condo. Do not eat at Bull Shed. Scottys BBQ excellent and beautiful view. Don't forget to have shaved ice!! We liked Poipu Beach Best for snorkeling and Silver Falls Ranch great horseback riding trip beautiful! Zipline is Awesome! Nice People will be back!!!

• Stayed May 2009, travelled with family
marblehead, ma
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 May 2009

Went to Kauai for a two week honeymoon and stayed at Hale Plantation in oceanfront room 8 or 9 nights.....would leave and come back between camping and hiking....excellent staff, rooms were great with large porches....stayed on second level oceanfront which was very private. Laundry in each building available and reasonable.
All one could need for a great stay. Rooms were clean, comfortable, and $129 per night with tax. In my mind there is nothing worse than paying more when most of ones time is spent outside of the room....David R Marblehead, Ma

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kapaa
Aston Islander on the Beach
Hotel Coral Reef
Hotel Coral Reef
#9 of 11 in Kapaa
Koloa Landing Resort

Been to Plantation Hale Suites? Share your experiences!