“The Good, The Grim & The Ugly - all in one.”

Plantation Hale Suites
Ranked #9 of 11 Hotels in Kapaa
Paris, France
“The Good, The Grim & The Ugly – all in one.”
Reviewed 19 October 2009

THE GOOD:
• $60/night can't be beat
• Laundry is convenient **but get quarters from front desk
• The location is central
You'll need a vehicle to really see any of the island, but you can walk to a marketplace and restaurants from here. There's also a stunning walk on the path directly in front of the hotel, parallel to the ocean.
• The beds were tolerable
• Front desk recommended an awesome Stand Up Paddle and Surfing lessons from Surfing Kauai [--]. We were incredibly impressed with their ocean safety, equipment, patience and expertise. We had a great time and were so psyched by our experience, we even bought a board from them to take home.
• Ample closet space
• Spacious. Could easily sleep 6, but it would be tough to share 1 bathroom
• To our great surprise, no evidence of dust mites on the furniture, mattresses, or our bodies.

THE GRIM:
• To avoid critters, you probably want an upstairs room. But there's no elevator for your luggage, stroller or cooler.
• Hideously out-dated 1980's decor with sagging, dust-encrusted silk floral arrangements. The bathrooms had an attempted renovation but the old tub and shower feel and look old.
• Not overly friendly front desk. At best, they seem annoyed by any complaints and were love-less about their jobs.
• If you want your kitchen, entry or bathroom floors mopped, you have to request it. They weren't even mopping under the kitchen waste bin.
• Internet is by cable only, so you're tethered. Note, you have to ASK for the cable at the front desk or you'll be making a trip for it later.
• You have to ask for the pool and room safe key or you may not be offered one. The first 3 room safe keys we got didn't work, which was really neat. They charge a silly $1.30 or so fee for the room safe use
• Bring your own conditioner, shampoo, lotions etc. This is no spa, and the supplied offerings are grim.

THE UGLY (& these were real deal-breakers):
• We are very fair-haired blondes, but had long black hairs in every room (kitchen, bathroom, living, bedroom), every day. We had short, curlier hairs in the bathrooms when we arrived, but thankfully, those didn't reappear. I am a bit uptight about cleanliness, so even though they were immediately apparent, I made myself wait before complaining. Unfortunately, after using kleenex to pick up the 30th long black hair (I seriously counted) only an hour after checking into the room, I called to complain. Bizarrely, the hairs kept returning. It must've been the housekeeper?
After the 3rd day of calling to complain, management seemed annoyed by my black hair report.
• We had roaches. Not many (that we saw at least), but we had 'em. We killed about 5 in total. Our biggest fear was that we might take them, or their eggs home accidentally. We also didn't want to share our food with them, so we called the front desk and had them spray our room with something that will probably change the DNA in my great, great, great grandchildren, but it had the desired effect. We also placed a few roach motels by the front door (under the door mat) and one inside. We realized these traps have bait in them and didn't want to invite more of the creepy crawlers in. If I saw another roach, I was checking out.
Thanks to the uninvited sharing our room, we kept all of our food (and I mean even the sugar, cream, coffee, nuts, chips, pasta -- you name it!) in the fridge. Even sealed, unopened packages aren't safe with roaches, so NOTHING was left out except cans and bottles.
It's no surprise the hotel had roaches, because the door isn't even weather stripped, and there is something growing between and below the oven and fridge.
We should mention that we also found roaches in our rental car, two in the cabin and two in the trunk. These may have come from anywhere, but the Best Western's property is older and very moist, with lackluster housekeeping. We were about to trade our car in but threw a few roach motels in the trunk and under both seats. After that, we found only dead roaches, which was pleasing. I've never had this happen in my vehicle at any other place where I've stayed in Kauai, and I come every year. (I've never stayed here before).

Advice:
• Ask for a room facing the water. If you're on the interior or facing the highway, it's all you'll hear and it's loud!
• Thanks to another TA reviewer we packed kitchen items: small dish soap, plastic cutting board sheet, 2 dish towels, paper towels, sponge, gloves, knives for cooking, foil, saran wrap, zip locks. Or, you can buy them on the island for twice the price if you prefer.
• Tip: Pack a giant cooler (preferably with wheels) with your clothes and Trader Joe's groceries. Groceries on the island are a fortune. Check the cooler as if it's your suitcase, and use a strap.

3 Thank jonze

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (232)
San Francisco, CA
Reviewed 11 October 2009

We were staying in Poipu for a week, but wanted to visit the north and east shores of Kauai during our trip. So we stayed two nights at this Best Western, and it was perfect. There is a nice beach and walking area right across the street (see photos) and a shopping center with Safeway very close by. It is only 15-20 minutes from the airport and we drove to Ke'e Beach within 30-40 minutes. The only downside was the kitchen - it had all the basics, but they were medium-low quality and made it a little more difficult to prepare meals. The suite was spacious and AC worked well.

1 Thank JLBanks
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed 5 October 2009

This place was horrible. It is cheap and run down. The coffee pot took 4 hours to produce 6 cups of coffee. They advertise free Wi-Fi... if you are willing to sit in the lobby. There is no internet in the room. Need a pool key to access the pool... but none of them work. So you will have to wait for someone with a good key to come around. Would NEVER recommend this cheap MOTEL. Staff was awful to boot

3 Thank lovinAZ
PHaleMgr, Manager at Plantation Hale Suites, responded to this review, 12 November 2009
Please keep in mind that this a condominium property and not all units are associated with Best Western. Many are rented by private agencies. All of the Best Western units have complimentary internet access and our coffee makers are all new 4-cup makers. If there is ever a problem and we are notified, we will make it right.
Spokane, WA
Reviewed 10 September 2009

We spend one night at the Plantation Hale. The hotel did not seem that full, yet they put us in a room in the back by a pile of old airconditioners and junk. The room had a full kitchen and separate bedroom, which was nice and roomy. But the porch/patio was unusable as it was facing shrubs and the pile of junk. It was clean enough but really needed a good scrubbing and furniture covers were worn and dull. We swam in the pool which was could have also used a cleaning. It was a good location to the beach, shopping and dining, but we preferred our stay in another hotel nearby which was miles better in every way except a smaller kitchen for about 15 dollars more a night. This is an OK hotel if you cant find anything else, but if you are staying for awhile in Kauai, then pay a little more and go somewhere else. The only really great thing was the free wireless internet.

1 Thank suebzzz
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed 28 August 2009

We spent a week on Kauai in August 2009 at Planation Hale. We were pleasantly surprised with the room. The kitchen was newly redone, carpeting new, and the outer bathroom redone as well. The lanai overlooked one of the three garden pools. The hotel was centrally located and the ocean a short walk away. I really appreciated the space the condo afforded us, the two TV's and the lanai. The staff was always helpful and the rooms cleaned nicely each day. If you are looking for affordable lodging, try here. No additional $12 fee as some of the hotels charge.

Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
Waltham, MA
Reviewed 5 August 2009

Our suite was large, comfortable, and clean. The hotel is across a small grass field from the water (it's a small beach with some rocks, so it's not ideal for swimming... but is great for relaxing in the sun by the water).

The hotel is in the "Coconut Marketplace" - a 3 minute walk from many small shops and restaurants, as well as a chain corner variety store.

For the price and location, I was blown away. You need a rental car to enjoy Kauai, and this was a perfect starting point for all of our daytrips.

The free wireless is supposed to be available in public areas. I was unable to get it in my room itself, but if I was out on the balcony of the room, I got a very strong signal.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed 19 July 2009

My husband, three kids and I stayed in a one bedroom suite in building "A".

Bedroom:
Two beds, large closet with mirror doors, although bed was very close to door so hard to use mirror or closet.
Pros: plenty of room, dresser with 6 large drawers, TV on dresser.

Cons: A/C unit by wall (common wall between livingroom and bedroom) in bedroom had some sort of contraption on half of it to direct half of the air into the livingroom since it was the only A/C unit in the whole place. Took a long time to cool off the place. It was pretty much was only cold in the middle of the night.

My husband though the beds were too hard and we didn't sleep well, but the kids slept fine.

Kitchen:
Pros: Decent size, had stove, small microwave, large refrigerator, sink, plates, cups, a few bowls, cutting board, a couple of very dull knives, utensils, dish soap (no dishwasher), coffee maker w/coffee.

Cons: We wanted to cook in the kitchen and bought groceries to do so, only to discover half of the things that were suppose to be in the kitchen were missing. The only things we had to cook with were one large pot and two tiny sauce pans. Nothing for the oven at all. We didn't even have a spatula or skillet. I called housekeeping the first day and they brought a skillet. The next day I called again and they brought me a spatula. I asked about an oven pan or cookie sheet and they told me they don't supply anything to use in the oven (??). After a couple of days I discovered, taped inside a cabinet, a list of supplies that are suppose to be in the kitchen. I did inventory and we were missing many of those things (I was afraid we'd be charged for them), which I brought to the attention of the front desk, but the only thing they brought us from the list was a scouring pad to do the dishes. Let me warn you: the skillet and pans are very cheap (as to be expected) and everything we cooked stuck in the pans really bad, and had to be soaked and scrubbed and scraped with a spoon when cleaned. You may want to invest in a non-stick skillet for use there.

Livingroom:
Pros: carpet looked fairly new, room was spacious. Small table with two chairs, but a small stool or two were also behind kitchen counter. Very long lanai ( going from sliding glass doors in bedroom to the one's in the livingroom). Tiny table and two plastic chairs outside.

Cons: Couch looked pretty old, but it was a good size and fairly comfortable. I didn't discover until day 3 when I saw two new pillowcases left on the table by housekeeping that day that there were suppose to be pillows for the sofabed. My kids had been using the couch pillows. So, I called housekeeping and they brought up two pillows. I called them right back and asked if we could possibly have one extra pillow (this would only be one more than the amount of people we had staying there...I like to use two) and suddenly they were "all out of pillows".

Bathroom:
Pros: Nice granite counter with large mirror, large enough for two girls to get ready at once. Seperate door to toilet and shower. Door to this area also.

Cons: Shower door had major issues. Very hard to open and close. At times, would not close all the way.

Noise: Very quiet the whole time we were there.

Activities Desk: Very nice lady working there, much help. Got us tickets and answered questions. Only one lady working the desk and usually had to wait or come back later.

Housekeeping: The lady I spoke to when I called was very nice and friendly.
I do feel that they probably should have been aware of all the things missing from our kitchen, though, and kept it stocked according to the 'list'. It's hard to cook eggs in a small saucepan with a spoon, then clean the stuck on food with a wash cloth.

My husband bought me a hand-made hairpiece one day while we were there, that a local made, and I had left it on the kitchen counter. It disappeared. Never saw it again. I don't know how it left the place, but we didn't take it out of there, or throw it away.

Grounds: Nicely manicured landscape. Buildings could use a paint job. We saw no bugs while we were there. Small pool, but very clean and nice (and I think there are other pools there, as well). You have to walk through a field to get to the ocean and you can't swim there---I saw people having bonfires there a hundred feet down. Worth a walk down if only to take a picture.

Internet in the lobby area (one computer you can use)

Location:
Right next to Coconut Marketplace where you can get some food and souvenires. Not crowded when we were there.

All in all, I think it was worth the price we paid. My only big issues were with the missing kitchen supplies, the shower door, and my missing hair- piece. We had to sign a paper saying that we won't hold them responsible for anything missing when we checked in, which we have never had to do before anywhere, so that was interresting. Between the 5 of us, we had a lot of things there and I don't know yet if anything else disappeared.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with family
3 Thank suntravlr
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kapaa
Kauai Shores Hotel
Hotel Coral Reef
Hotel Coral Reef
#3 of 11 in Kapaa
Courtyard Kaua'i at Coconut Beach

Been to Plantation Hale Suites? Share your experiences!