• $60/night can't be beat
• Laundry is convenient **but get quarters from front desk
• The location is central
You'll need a vehicle to really see any of the island, but you can walk to a marketplace and restaurants from here. There's also a stunning walk on the path directly in front of the hotel, parallel to the ocean.
• The beds were tolerable
• Front desk recommended an awesome Stand Up Paddle and Surfing lessons from Surfing Kauai [--]. We were incredibly impressed with their ocean safety, equipment, patience and expertise. We had a great time and were so psyched by our experience, we even bought a board from them to take home.
• Ample closet space
• Spacious. Could easily sleep 6, but it would be tough to share 1 bathroom
• To our great surprise, no evidence of dust mites on the furniture, mattresses, or our bodies.
• To avoid critters, you probably want an upstairs room. But there's no elevator for your luggage, stroller or cooler.
• Hideously out-dated 1980's decor with sagging, dust-encrusted silk floral arrangements. The bathrooms had an attempted renovation but the old tub and shower feel and look old.
• Not overly friendly front desk. At best, they seem annoyed by any complaints and were love-less about their jobs.
• If you want your kitchen, entry or bathroom floors mopped, you have to request it. They weren't even mopping under the kitchen waste bin.
• Internet is by cable only, so you're tethered. Note, you have to ASK for the cable at the front desk or you'll be making a trip for it later.
• You have to ask for the pool and room safe key or you may not be offered one. The first 3 room safe keys we got didn't work, which was really neat. They charge a silly $1.30 or so fee for the room safe use
• Bring your own conditioner, shampoo, lotions etc. This is no spa, and the supplied offerings are grim.
THE UGLY (& these were real deal-breakers):
• We are very fair-haired blondes, but had long black hairs in every room (kitchen, bathroom, living, bedroom), every day. We had short, curlier hairs in the bathrooms when we arrived, but thankfully, those didn't reappear. I am a bit uptight about cleanliness, so even though they were immediately apparent, I made myself wait before complaining. Unfortunately, after using kleenex to pick up the 30th long black hair (I seriously counted) only an hour after checking into the room, I called to complain. Bizarrely, the hairs kept returning. It must've been the housekeeper?
After the 3rd day of calling to complain, management seemed annoyed by my black hair report.
• We had roaches. Not many (that we saw at least), but we had 'em. We killed about 5 in total. Our biggest fear was that we might take them, or their eggs home accidentally. We also didn't want to share our food with them, so we called the front desk and had them spray our room with something that will probably change the DNA in my great, great, great grandchildren, but it had the desired effect. We also placed a few roach motels by the front door (under the door mat) and one inside. We realized these traps have bait in them and didn't want to invite more of the creepy crawlers in. If I saw another roach, I was checking out.
Thanks to the uninvited sharing our room, we kept all of our food (and I mean even the sugar, cream, coffee, nuts, chips, pasta -- you name it!) in the fridge. Even sealed, unopened packages aren't safe with roaches, so NOTHING was left out except cans and bottles.
It's no surprise the hotel had roaches, because the door isn't even weather stripped, and there is something growing between and below the oven and fridge.
We should mention that we also found roaches in our rental car, two in the cabin and two in the trunk. These may have come from anywhere, but the Best Western's property is older and very moist, with lackluster housekeeping. We were about to trade our car in but threw a few roach motels in the trunk and under both seats. After that, we found only dead roaches, which was pleasing. I've never had this happen in my vehicle at any other place where I've stayed in Kauai, and I come every year. (I've never stayed here before).
• Ask for a room facing the water. If you're on the interior or facing the highway, it's all you'll hear and it's loud!
• Thanks to another TA reviewer we packed kitchen items: small dish soap, plastic cutting board sheet, 2 dish towels, paper towels, sponge, gloves, knives for cooking, foil, saran wrap, zip locks. Or, you can buy them on the island for twice the price if you prefer.
• Tip: Pack a giant cooler (preferably with wheels) with your clothes and Trader Joe's groceries. Groceries on the island are a fortune. Check the cooler as if it's your suitcase, and use a strap.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Plantation Hale Suites is located in the heart of Kauai on the scenic Royal Coconut Coast and steps away from Waipouli Beach. Enjoy spacious one bedroom suite accommodations (738 sq ft) with the finest amenities such as full kitchens and private lanais. Suites sleep up to six people. High speed Wi Fi,Flat Screen LCD TV's with Cable (60 preimum channels)Blu-Ray DVD, Movie library,350 DVD's. Planation Hale has three outdoor pools,(4)picnic and BBQ areas, whirlpool spas, Shuffle Board. The resort offers several restaurants, full Concierge and Activities Desk, mini market, ATM, and a SPA. Located nearby, Golf, Tennis, Horseback Riding, Wailua River and Kayaking,Opaeka'a Falls, Waimea Canyon, Hiking Trails. Kauai's best location and value. great for a romantic getaway, or a family vacation. Our dedicated staff welcomes you with the true Aloha spirit. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Priceline, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly and getaroom.com so you can book your Plantation Hale Suites reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Plantation Hale Hotel Kapaa
- Best Western Kapaa
- Kapaa Best Western
- Plantation Hale Suites Kauai, Hawaii - Kapaa