Waipouli Beach Resort
US$493
US$434
US$388
US$228
Kauai Shores Hotel(Kapaa)(Great Value!)
US$262
  • Pool
Plantation Hale Suites(Kapaa)(Great Value!)
US$283
US$262
US$314
  • Beachfront
Lae Nani(Kapaa)
1,484 results
All reviewswater slideslazy riveracross the streetpool areahigh end appliancestop of the linesandy bottomoasis restaurantthe kitchenpool staffmountain viewkauai exclusive managementwasher and dryerocean frontthrough vrboparking lotkauai calls
996 - 1,001 of 1,484 reviews
Reviewed 9 September 2011

We stayed at the Waipouli Beach Resort for the second time this June. We rented through Outrigger. I am giving this unit 5 stars, but I really want to give it 4 stars or even 3 stars. This is one of the nicest condos on the entire island of Kauai, so I am going to give the resort 5 stars. We had some issues, but Outrigger addressed every one of our concerns.

I would suggest you do your homework before you rent. Condo units are different from hotels. The services are usually very limited. I think it is very unfair to give a condo one star just because they don't furnish room service. Also, usually you do not get daily cleanings with condos. Outrigger did send someone in every day to refresh towels and make beds. This is unusual. With most condos, you do not get any cleaning.

My major problem with the Outrigger Waipouli Beach is that they are very stingy with their views. I disagree with what they call ocean view or even ocean front. If you look at an aerial view of the complex, at least half of the units face a parking lot or another building. Most views are not great. However, the beach and pool are both gorgeous, so if you don't care what you see from your room, the rest of the property is very nice.

The property is very well located. It is easy to get north and south. Kapaa has some fun places to eat and shop. Lihue is very close. I liked having two grocery stores, an ABC Store, and a Long Drugs across the street. Once you are in the Waipouli Beach property, you are not aware of the busy road.

I am still struggling with my star rating. I love the location in Waipouli. There are no other condos as nice as the Waipouli Beach Resort in the area. The condo is very close to shopping , the north side, and the south side of the island. It was easy for us to get around.

Things I liked:

The beach – True, you cannot swim, but it was nice to walk. We saw seals a few times. It was almost kind of wild. Typical Hawaiian beach.

The pool – there are many private areas to sit and talk while in the pool. Very cool design.

The kitchen – very new and luxurious.

Sweet Marie’s Bakery – It is gluten-free, but you would never know. Their macaroons are simply wonderful. This tiny bakery is located right next to the complex.

Kapaa – Fun to say. Lots of little, funky stores and restaurants. Also they have chain restaurants. We have kids, so we had to eat at a fast food restaurant at least once.

Things I did not like as much:

The beds – Evidently, there a very few, if any, condos that have two beds in the second bedroom. With teenagers, this would be very nice. Both times that we have stayed here, we were told that there were not many units with two beds in the second bedroom.

The Views – The Waipouli Beach Resort should be ashamed of themselves. I have been to Hawaii several times. The views they assign to the rooms are just wrong. We stayed in the hospitality room a few hours before our plane left. You could see a sliver of the ocean over the condos next door if you stood outside on the balcony. My fourteen year old shouted: “Oceanfront”.

Room Tip: I would suggest you book a room for as much as you can afford. If the view does not match what you paid for, make the management fix it!
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Louise_1980
Reviewed 9 September 2011

We vacationed with our whole family and 5-yr old grandson. I would agree with all of the other great reviews of this property and unit. Here are a few things that we learned and didn't expect. None of this detracted from the great time we had.

- Do not assume that a requested early check-in will be accommodated. We arrived at the resort around 11am and weren't allowed to check-in until the posted 3PM time; even though the maid didn't finish until 4PM.
- While the pool hours are 7AM - 10PM, we didn't realize that the water slides only operate from 10AM - 6PM.
- The pool is private for owner's and guests. Very nice. The keycode we were given had expired, Owner Services gave us an updated code which also expired mid-week. The resort has gone to changing these codes every month.
- Owner Services is not interested in helping guests, only owners. For any requests they will immediately refer you to the owner's local property manager, Larry Fudge.
- Unit F402 includes a Queen sleeper sofa in the living room and a twin futon mattress that our grandson used on the floor in the Queen master.
- The starter kitchen supplies, and 4 beach towels were an appreciated nice touch.
- Unit F402 has a pool view, not an ocean view.
- The new coastal bike/jogging path begins about a 10 minute walk North of the resort.
- Lydgate Park is great for young children with a protected beach area about 1 - 2 ft deep and is about 5 minutes South of the resort by car.
- One of our favorite restaurants was Bobby Vs for Italian (great marinara) right next door to resort.
- The beach at the resort is very nice, but the ocean conditions allowed locals to actually surf while we were here in July, 2011. Rougher conditions than I expected, and definitely not for ocean swimming.
- Cold Stone Creamery is out of business
- We did most of our grocery shopping at Safeway rather than Foodland. Quality was much better at Safeway and with your Club Card the prices were not much different.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank DiverDon52
Reviewed 3 September 2011

I stayed at the resort for 5 days at the end of August. The suites are just perfect -- very spacious with modern, clean look. The kitchen has state of the art equipment and is fully stocked with cooking utensils and dishes. The staff is very friendly, and the pool area is great. The two big cons for me was (1) you cannot swim in the ocean. The pool is nice but the whole point of coming to this tropical paradise is to enjoy a swim in the ocean. The bottom of the ocean is covered by sharp rocks and corals and the water is very rough. I am a professional swimmer and will go in pretty much anywhere. Still I did not feel safe here. Of course there are plenty of nice beaches on the island but if you are here with small kids it is difficult to get the whole show on the road. (2) the restaurant on the property is only open for the happy hour and dinner. Again, if you are vacationing with small kids it would be extra helpful to have something right on the premises for breakfast or an afternoon snack. Umberella drinks by the pool is also my idea of a relaxing vacation. It was a nice experience overall but still not sure if I'll be back.

Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
7  Thank Katerina_CA
Reviewed 1 September 2011

Our condo and the entire facility was wonderful! My two five year old daughters absolutely loved the pools and slides. The condo was so nice!!! I can not say enough about how much we enjoyed our stay. If I had to say anything negative it would be that they are very stingy with the pool tools - but that wasn't a big deal. I will definitely stay here the next time I'm fortunate enough to visit Kauai!!!

• Stayed: December 2010
1  Thank Cowboys1995
Reviewed 1 September 2011

We stayed here for the first time in February however it was our 7th trip to Kauai. Have to say this is was the best condo so far that we have rented. We were on the ground floor with a view of the pool. The rooms are very large & spacious with top of the line appliances. Will definitely stay here again, maybe will get an ocean view next time though.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled with family