“Great property, beautiful, new condo” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Waipouli Beach Resort

Waipouli Beach Resort
Ranked #1 of 11 Hotels in Kapaa
Chicago
“Great property, beautiful, new condo”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2008

We recently returned from a 5-night stay at the Outrigger Waipouli. Kapaa was a good location from which to base sightseeing -- about an even drive either north or south. Good restaurants nearby in Kapaa and having Safeway, ABC across the street was very convenient. The 2 BR condo we stayed in was brand new, top of the line. Kitchen had granite countertops, stainless appliances, everything needed to cook meals. Bedrooms had flat-screen TVs, nice furniture, bathrooms were spacious (we had 2-1/2 baths) and included tub in one. One of our showers had too strong water pressure, which was unpleasant, but the other was fine. Was great to use the in-unit full-size Whirlpool Duet washer/dryer while there to keep up on dirty laundry.

Grounds included nice walking area by beach, nice pool, koi pond, free parking, free wifi. We only used the hot tub (sand bottom) once at night and some other people said they found a small crab in the hot tub. The pool's "lazy river" won't propel you around, but it is pretty. The grotto is neat too. The waterslides were closed during our whole stay - don't know why. Hotel seemed to be mostly vacant while we were there. It seemed the pool area would be nowhere big enough if more rooms were occupied, but then again, we were busy sightseeing all day, every day and never used the pool during the day.

Overall would recommend this property -- luxury in Kapaa.

• Stayed May 2008, travelled as a couple
6 Thank steptravel

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (352)
Cedar Park
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 May 2008

My husband, myself, my 24 year old daughter and one of her friends stayed for 6 nights. We loved the facility. The girls were able to spend time on the small beach, the large pool and 3 hot tubs available. Even though the beach wasn't a swimming beach we were all happy with walking on it and watching the sunrise.

The staff responded immediately to any questions or to help in any way that they could to make our stay successful.

This area of the island was very friendly and helpful. My daughter was even able to make new friends here with some of the locals.

Being across the street from the Safeway, Foodland and several restaurants was very helpful. They also have an ABC store that is great for purchasing souvenirs.

The traffic has been complained about in previous reviews and it can be pretty heavy at this location but the fact that you are half way between each end of the highway that partially circles the island makes up for it.

We were even more excited about this location when we drove through Poipu. Poipu is mostly hotels and resorts built on the beaches and you can't see the ocean from the road except briefly in certain sections. In the Kapaa area north you can see the ocean most of the time from the road. Another words, this area feels less touristy but provides all the amenities needed.

• Liked — Beauty and service.
  • Disliked — Nothing.
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled with family
3 Thank pamjoffrion
Phoenix, Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 May 2008

We stayed in a one bedroom at the Outrigger Waipouli Beach Resort for our honeymoon. My husband and I were looking to stay in a place that would feel like home and NOT a hotel. We certainly felt right at home. Because the Outrigger was just built within the last couple of years everything is clean and new looking. The room was incredible! The kitchen had granite counter tops, all stainless steel appliances and all the dishes you could ask for. The decoration had a very nice contemporary Hawaiian feel. There were two flat screen tv's (not that you'll watch a lot of TV when you're in Kauai) but it was nice to have. There was plenty of closet and drawer space, so we were able to completely unpack our bags and get settled. The bathroom was HUGE! It had a very long jack and jill sink, huge whirlpool tub, 2 toilets, a shower and a separate sink by the other toilet.

The pool area was really nice. It is a salt pool, which is much nice than being in a chlorine pool. It had a main pool area but then it winds around in a "lazy river" style and at one point there's a little hidden grotto area. There were 2 slides and 3 hot tubs.

Overall, our experience was wonderful. We didn't have a lot of interaction with the staff but when we did they were all very friendly and helpful. I would recommend this to anyone!!

• Liked — I loved the room - it didn't feel like a hotel room. It felt more like a trendy apartment.
  • Stayed April 2008, travelled as a couple
5 Thank lyndilou25
irvine, ca
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 April 2008

Ok this is my second try. I first one ended in an error in which I lost my lengthy review. I was so irritated, it took a few days before I even wanted to try again. I hope it works this time or I probably just won't do a review. So here goes.

I traveled with my wife and 3 boys (2-8). We were looking for a large place that my youngest can take a nap and not force us to tip-toe around his crib. We booked a 2 bedroom 3 bath oceanfront room through Costco. This would have the same advantages (or disadvantages) as booking through the Outrigger. There is some debate over what is a better value. I can't answer this because I did not research into booking through a private owner. There are only 3 things that I can think of that differ. First, you cannot not make room charges if you went through a private owner. Room charges are convenient when you are poolside and perhaps the spa. Second, is having daily cleaning service, but you can purchase this through private owners (some may have this lumped into their price). Third, you are not assigned a room until you arrive. With private owners, you should know what you are getting.

Area

This is an older part of Kauai, so the surrounding areas do not look as new or nice as the resort. That includes the 2 neighboring condos. But there are many eating and shopping options within walking distance, which I think will really attract those that chose a condo over a hotel. Two supermarkets and a drug store makes life easier. Even a Starbucks.

Resort in general

Ok, I would not personally call this a "resort." There just aren't enough amenities by my definition. The pool is resort quality. Dinning, on the other hand, is not. Breakfast is not served and all food is cooked in the snack shack, so the restaurant area prepares the drinks but has the food is brought in from the shack about 15 yards away in the pool area. I will speak more on the restaurant later. I did not do the spa thing, but it did look small and not as plush as most spas I have seen. Workout room is laughable (more later). Over-
all we were very happy with the place. By far the best part is the room itself. We do not fall under the "don't stay in our room" category. This area is very important to us. Unlike most resorts, this one has no kids club or anything of the sort.

Room

Our oceanfront first floor room was fantastic. There was plenty of room for a family of 5. Three flat screen tv's, 1 for each room, nice granite counters, very comfortable beds, and the appliances are so nice, they deserve a section of their own. My room was very far from the street so the noise was not an issue. I think mostly building D mountain views will have that problem.

Appliances

It seems odd to mentioning this in detail, but cooking and washing our clothes was important to us. The front load washer and dryer was great. Fast, quiet and efficient. The kitchen is supplied with most things you need to cook, clean, bbq, and even bake. My wife baked some ready made cookie dough. Great coffee maker with daily ground refills. A toaster, blender, microwave and a small rice cooker. Of course, all the plates, cups, pots, pans and utensils.

Pool

Great pool. The lazy river is not really that lazy. There is no current that takes you around and returns you. So you can't be too lazy if you want to go from one end to the other. The sandy bottom area is great for toddlers to wade in and play. 2 adult jucuzzi's, and 1 open, which is not as hot. All with sandy bottoms. The two slides are entry level. Great for kids up to 10? But older kids will probably prefer something bigger and faster. Towel service is from a small closet. You may laugh, but it is not much bigger than your average closet. There are no pool toys or goggles available for purchase.

As I mentioned earlier, all the food is cooked in the snack shop, so don't expect gourmet food. The food is however, good. Hamburgers, wraps, fried foods, a very limited selection. The drink options or far greater and more attractive. Only desserts offered are shave ice (marginal) and Otter Pops. Yes, I know there are numerous off-site options, but I want to focus more on the resort. The restaurant is more of a bar and sitting area, which seems to work fine. Happy hours are 4-6 pm.

Beach

Nice but short stretch. I think of it as 2 smaller stretches divided by a short rock jetty. Looking towards the ocean, the stretch on the left is rocky and not good for swimming or wading. To the right is a much sandier spot. Waves were not any worse than the beaches in Southern California. When I was there, the waves were not big enough to even boogie board. Great for sitting or wading. Not hard to find a chair and even some umbrellas to sit under. I tried to fish a bit but had no luck.

Spa/gym

Can't comment on the spa too much other than it did look small and limited. There was only a small workout room with no windows. Just pathetic. 4 exercise bikes that did not match. 1 cable machine, 1 weight bench (no free weights), and 1 situp bench. A couple small tv's. That's it. None of the equipment matched and looked older than the hotel. I seems that the workout room was an after thought. Maybe 800 sq/ft of "patheticness". See picture.

Koi Pond

Small but nice. Fish feeding at 9:00 am daily. This about the only kids program.

Internet

The website said wired access, so I brought my wireless router. They must have upgraded since their posting because they did indeed have free wireless internet.

I think that is it. We had a great time on the resort. Feel free to contact me with specific questions.

• Liked — Rooms were large and nice.
  • Disliked — Limited eating options on site.
  • Stayed April 2008, travelled with family
4 Thank ptirvine
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 April 2008

We stayed in a 2Bed/3Bath oceanfront on the 4th floor. The condo was perfect for our family of 4. The view was fantastic. The construction was solid- we never heard our neighbors except when we were on the balcony. The pool was great, alot of fun for the kids, quiet enough for the adults. The ocean front restaurant had good food, the service was slow to take your order but prompt after that. The only comment was it closed early 8:00pm. A earlier review had complained about the locals using the pool but with the gates around the pool requiring the room key that problem had been resolved. The beach at the hotel was nice and private, had chairs, tables, umbrellas and even fresh water to rinse off. The water was to rough to swim in but that was posted and we knew from previous reviews. The hotel didn't try to nickel and dime you which made my husband very happy. If you wanted a drink you could order one but they didn't harass you. Housekeeping left plenty of towels every day and did a nice job keeping the room clean. They even came back from lunch early one day when I called to ask for the room to be cleaned at a specific time on my husband's birthday. Getting and turning in pool/beach towels was a slight problem- wasn't always manned and wasn't open early in the morning when we wanted to go on a sailing trip. One employee was exceptional though at the towel check out she was friendly and even knew our names. The kitchen in the room had every convience you could think of and Safeway was right across the street making it easy to stock up with food. The room even had fun items like a boogie board, float and umbrella- what an example of going above and beyond. The location of the hotel was perfect, close to the airport but not to close, on the east side which was in the middle of the North and South side of the island making it easy to get to either end for other activities. I would recommend booking your activities prior to arriving though we found several of the activites sold out already. We had a FANTASTIC time on the BLUE Dolphin charter to Napali coast. We also did the horseback riding at Princeville Stables- could only walk your horse though and required rough hiking to and from the waterfall for lunch. Please take the time to find the website to look up the safety of the beaches everyday prior to adventuring out. I can't remember what it was something like www.oceansafety. WE had great snorkling adventures on the island's public beaches based on the daily report of safety. Our favorite was Lyngate Pond. You definitely need a car if you want to see the island. This is a very quiet resort which we prefer but if you are looking for an exciting night life you need to go elsewhere. Kauai island itself was very laid back , no high risers anywhere, lots of undeveloped land, felt safe, and funny wild chickens running around everywhere. WE would definitely return in a heartbeat.

• Liked — rooms
  • Disliked — pool towel check out system
  • Stayed April 2008, travelled with family
5 Thank yeartotravel
Kailua, HI
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 April 2008

Rented unit C203 for a weeklong stay with six guests, including 3 children ranging in ages 1-7. We chose the condo for the elaborate pool: two waterslides and a meandering canal with waterfalls. We also found a good value of ~$280 per night incl taxes on VRBO.com. Go through a private owner and save $$ over booking w/ Outrigger. What a value: 2 bdrm, 3 ba, and a sleeper sofa. Wolf range and Subzero fridge and dual dishwashers. Fully equipped kitchen. Only missing appliances happened to be the two we use the most: toaster oven and rice cooker. Loved everything in the condo with the exception of a very squeaky bed. For those with small children that nap during the day, you may request a unit that has carpet in the hallway in front of the unit. Some of the hallways are heavy stone tiles and the housekeeping carts make a lot of noise over them - it may wake up sleeping beauty. The location in Kapaa is perfect for groceries with Foodland and Safeway right across the street (couldn't believe other residents actually drove across the street to shop.) Starbucks, Cold Stone, McD's, and other restaurants across the street too. Within 2 miles to Wailua River kayaks, Lydgate State Park, and historic Kapaa town. Don't miss the beautiful jogging trail starting in town going north along the coastline. You can keep Poipu - we're staying in Kapaa every time.

• Liked — Perfect location in Kauai
  • Disliked — squeaky bed
  • Stayed March 2008, travelled with family
2 Thank MandarinLeila
British Columbia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 March 2008

We stayed at this resort for 8 days, and were impressed by the layout and the decor of the condo, as well as the grounds. The sand bottom hottubs are very relaxing, and a great place to meet fellow travellers. It is in a convinient area, especially if you have a car and want to travel up and down the island.
We were, however, very disappointed with our "garden view" suite. We had a view of Safeway, and were unable to open our windows at night due to the constant traffic noises (even in the middle of the night traffic does not stop!) We would have liked to sit out on the lanai, but again, so much traffic noise! If you are staying here, it would be worth your while to pay the extra to have an ocean view suite.
Another small complaint is that housekeeping did not always leave fresh towels, empty trash, etx. (but as soon as we would call down to the desk they would remedy this.
We found the staff to be very helpful and friendly and had a nice stay.

• Liked — the ammenities are great!
  • Disliked — proximity to the highway
  • Stayed March 2008, travelled as a couple
5 Thank jdt1971
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kapaa
Kauai Beach Resort
#4 of 11 in Lihue
4.0 of 5 bubbles 2,203 reviews
Koloa
Grand Hyatt Kauai Resort & Spa
Koloa
Koa Kea Hotel & Resort

Been to Waipouli Beach Resort? Share your experiences!