“Good” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 11 Hotels in Kapaa
california
“Good”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 August 2009

Stayed in A204 ocean front condo (5 adults and 1 child)

Good - central location - was able to see north, south and west in 3 days. Rest of the 3 days we just relaxed.
Good - pool - my son really enjoyed it. Loved the waterfall - great for shoulder massage :).
Good - View from the condo. We could listen to music at the bar from our lanai.
Good - We used the kitchen for breakfast and dinner. The condo only came with salt and paper shaker and couple of coffee packets. The items were never replenish. We had to buy salt and aluminum foil for cooking.

Bad - sofa bed unusable. The mattress was all springs. After complaining couple of times they provide us with fold out futon. It was way better than the mattress in the sofa bed.

Bad - Don't know if it true, no one is at the reception desk after midnight. We were flying direct from SFO to Kauai. Our flight was delayed 3 hrs. We called the resort from SFO informing them that we were delayed. We also called when we landed in Kauai. Each time they informed us that they will be there only until midnight. We landed in kauai around 10:30. Took a long time at Alamo rental due to computers being down. We got to the resort around 11:40pm. It was very stressful way to start our vacation.

3 Thank p111

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (352)
CA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 August 2009

The place is beautiful. We loved the pool and our grandkids could not get enough of the tidal pool and slides. The front desk staff was not the friendliest, however. The concierge, Frannie, was just wonderful and helped us with trips for ourselves and our daughter and new husband. Our daughter, her husband and their 3 little kids stayed in a condo which we enjoyed visiting everyday. It was very nicely decorated and there was plenty of room for our extended family - a family of 11! Our room, however, was a disappointment. It was just a regular hotel room and coffee was supplied only on the first day as a "starter kit". Why advertize that there is in-room coffee if you are not going to supply it? It only makes you look good on paper and I guess is one of the things that gets you a 4-star rating. Worse than that there was only one tiny shelf over the sink to place your personal items on in the bathroom - I had to fashion a table out of the luggage rack and a piece of cardboard!! There were no hooks to hang either your towels or clothing on in the bathroom. I think both the missing shelves and lack of clothing hooks as serious defaults in the room design.

The housekeeping staff was another issue. They did come everyday and "tidy up" - made the bed and left fresh towels. But they took our pool towels away and I had to straighten it out with the towel guru at the pool. She was very nice about it but it was just one more thing to deal with. Another issue was I became very ill on the last 3 days of our trip and could not leave my bed. I hung the "Do Not Disturb" sign on the door and repeatedly they housecleaning staff would open the door. One time I was in the bathroom pulling on my pants when man from the housekeeping staff opened the door - and YES, there was a Do Not Disturb sign hanging on the doorknob - and asked if I was ready to have the room cleaned!!! Why have the signs if the housekeeping staff isn't going to abide by the guest's wishes?? That was our last day there and I was ready to get out of there. I have never had housekeeping issues like this anywhere I've traveled and I've traveled all over the world.

The shopping center across the street was a welcome sight once a few members of our party became ill with the flu. We didn't have to travel far to get medications, etc. We liked the convenience of having various shops closeby such as Longs and Safeway and Foodland. It made it very convenient to stock our supplies in the condo

The hotel is on a very busy street - the main thoroughfare from one end of the island to another. There was very little disturbance because of this and we hardly noticed the traffic.

The kids loved the condo and its closeness to the ocean. They made friends with other children in the condos nearby and would go out on frog hunts (catch and release) every night! We all enjoyed the chickens!!! and the various birds that inhabit the island. We loved the grounds and feeding the koi in the mornings.

I would recommend this hotel to a friend if they stayed in a condo. The hotel rooms were expensive and not worth the daily price. I would give it a 3-star rating rather than a 4-star.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
stephnrick
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2009

After reading the reviews of this hotel, we gave it a try. When landing at the Lihue airport we were extremley excited to get our honeymoon started. We stayed in Waikiki for 4 days previously, which was fun. But, were ready for a Hawaii adventure. When we pulled up to our hotel...disater! This hotel was located on a busy street with a shopping mall directly across from Outrigger. We checked in and were given a garden "ocean front". First of all floor rooms are a little scary and we had nothing close to ocean front. We immediatly began to dislike Kauai on behave of our impression of this hotel and it's location. We had dinner at Tidepools at Hyatt, when we pulled up we were so envous of everyone that was staying there. After our wonderful dinner, we spoke to the front desk for availabity there. We checked of the Outrigger and began to enjoy Kauai. One more thing the Outrigger is the only location in a very local aea, yes nice, but not what we were looking for.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
4 Thank stephnrick
Miinnesota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2009

First the not so good. The beach that it is on isn't very good. Much too rough. The sofa sleeper is unaceptbly bad. I never knew they made them so bad. Get a two bed room if you need two beds. Do NOT count the sofa as a sleeping option!!! The kitchen is too nice. Who cooks on vavation? It's vacation. I don't clean the bathroom either on vacation.

It is in new condition, big rooms. Not sure what I need 14 pillows for! We got a good price and third night free besides. So for us it was a bargain, at the posted rates it had better be perfect, and it was except my poor son slept on the floor.

We got upgraded to a part ocean view, perhaps it was because I was wearing my Trip Advisor hat!!

Aloha,
DAN

1 Thank Corvair65
Southern California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 August 2009

We just returned from a fun week-long stay at the Outrigger Waipouli Resort. "We" included 3 grandparents, mom, dad, and a 6 year old and a 2-1/2 year old. The kids absolutely LOVED the pool (as did we all), and the toddler beach pool was our 2-1/2 year old's dream come true. The condo was spacious enough for all 7 of us and having 3 bathrooms was great. The AC broke one afternoon but maintenance came immediately and made minor repairs and it ran perfectly the rest of our stay. Housekeeping was good but one day they picked up bath towels we'd left on the foor as instructed but didn't replace them. The Tahitian Bar & Grill was good. Feeding the koi in the mornings at 9:05 was a treat for the kids - the very nice young man with the fish food scooped out paper cupfulls of food for each child, who got to feed the fish. One tip for vacationers - if you're in the mood for Mexican food try Monico's just down the road. Tiny restaurant with EXCELLENT food and good service, and the mai tai's are terrific too!

Danville, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2009

My kids enjoyed the pools at the Grand Wailea in Maui a couple years ago so I wanted to find a condo that was similar for them to enjoy. Here's why we felt WBR is a better choice than the Grand Wailea-

1. Cost/ Value- WBR was 1/3 the price of GW! We paid approx. $600 a night at GW (June 2007) and that is for the cheapest room which was a studio hotel room about 600 sq. ft. overlooking the parking lot, Four Seasons next door and some of the ocean from afar as we were on the 9th floor. WBR we paid approx. $200 a night for gorgeous ocean/pool view, 2 bedroom, 3 bathroom penthouse condo, 1200 sq. ft. full gourmet kitchen, nicely decorated, full washer and dryer, 1 nice lanai and 2 balconies. For 3 nights that we stayed at GW, we could stay 9 at WBR and we ended up staying 10 nights because the price was too good!

2. Travel Time to Pool- At WBR, condo to pool took about 3-5 minutes depending upon elevator. At GW, hotel room to pool took about 15-20 minutes depending upon elevator- it was a hike by the time you got to the pool and it was a drag at the end of the day to go back up to your GW room.

3. Pool Chair Availability- At WBR there are TONS of chairs and chaises and you do NOT have to get up early to save a chair. At GW, you need to get down to the pool between 7-7:30 to get a chair in the summer, I paid $600/nt. for this?

4. Meals and Drinks- you save a lot if you do breakfast in your condo at WBR, make lunches for the beach and come back to the condo to use the grill for dinner. Meals at GW are rediculously expensive- $15 plus tip for one hamburger, $14 for nacho's... You can save a ton by making your own drinks in the condo too as there are blenders in the room- we made our own pina colada's, lava flows, mai tais....Yum!

5. The Tahitian Bar and Grill has great fresh food and great nightly entertainment- We ate here 3 times during out stay and everything we had was very yummy, fresh, priced well, large portions (that you can split if you wish or leftovers). My favorite was the the crab wontons- they were soo yummy and huge and I think they were $8 for 8 of them! The kalua pork nachos were huge and yummy. I also had the chicken avocado macademia wrap that was soo good and my dh had the crab sandwich that was yummy. They had kid meals too and they were good sized to split for younger kids. My BEST lava flow was actually from here! The views are so nice here too with the ocean and this place is under-rated as it is a really good, reasonable place with a view.

6. Aldrine Guerrero rocks! We listened to some great entertainment at the Tahitian Bar & Grill but the band K-town Heroes with Aldrine Guerrero was AMAZING!!! We heard him our last night and I could not believe my ears! He is not your typical ukulele player playing hawaiian tunes- he is truly an artist! Aldrine writes and sings his own songs like "Red & Silky" "Schizophrenic Snowflakes" and he also does cover songs with their own twist- like "Breezin" where he plays so smooth but then after 4 minutes, he is jamming, rockin' on his ukulele, I have never seen anyone play the ukulele so fast and furious and accurately amazing! Love how he sings "Sunday Morning", "Let's get it on", "Summer Breeze", "I'm yours" the list goes on. I was so impressed that I searched YouTube and found him there and he also has a site called UkuleleUnderground.com to help teach others ukulele. I saw that he was doing a show in the Bay Area and went to that last night and it was amazing to listen to him play again. He has a great sense of humor, easy going, great aloha spirit. It was a Thursday night when he was at WBR and he was there the Thursday night before but I'd call the resort or the Tahitian Bar & Grill to see when he is performing because Aldrine Guerrero is not to be missed!!!

7. The pools- I like the WBR pools better because they aren't as big so I was able to keep track of my 3 children easily. The 2 slides are there together so I could see 2 kids go down them at the same time. The pool is shallow, 4 ft is the deepest so it was very child friendly. There are 3 waterfalls by the lobby end, than the 4th waterfall has a cave/grotto behind the fall which was pretty cool to sit in. My oldest- 11 yrs. did like the pools at GW better because he missed the bigger waterslides and the tarzan rope but the rest of us preferred WBR. The baby beach area was awesome and my 4 year old loved it, the pebbles are so nice on your feet. The hot tubs weren't as hot as I would have liked but ok. At GW, it is very easy to lose track of your kids as it is soo huge, great for older kids/teens but not good for younger.

8. The Grounds are beautiful- Lots of palm and coconut trees, beautiful flowers, love all the rock and stone and the Koi pond is nice and at 9am each morning you can go by the pond to get fish food to feed the fish, my kids enjoyed that! GW grounds are also beautiful and nothing can compare with the various artwork throughout and the little white oceanfront chapel is beautiful.

9. The Service- I felt more Aloha from WBR than GW. Everyone was nice from the guy passing out fish food to the people at the front desk to the groundskeepers. At GW, you'd expect really great service for $600/nt. but you just don't get it, they are ok, but paying 5 star prices for 2-3 star service doesn't cut it in my book.

Cons-
1. The beach at WBR is the biggest downfall as it has strong currents and not swimmable but ok for walking along. I also did not like how it had a lot of debris in the sand, straws, pieces of drift wood, just not too attractive compared to the other beaches on Kauai. We did see some little crabs on the beach and a monk seal several times here and they rope the area off so tourists do not get too close to the seal. We could also see the fireworks from Lihue sitting at the WBR beach and watching others light their fireworks. Wailea Beach at GW is beautiful but also more tourists.

2. Along the highway- WBR has a good location in terms of being midway on the island so equal distance to either north or south sights but it is right off the highway. To some this may not be attractive as you have the Safeway strip mall across from there and the highway is right there. It is convenient tho.

All in all, WBR had more pros than cons and was definitely worth it in terms of value! I would stay here again but next time, I'd want ocean view or oceanfront ground level so the kids can run around on the nice grass and have easier access to the beach & pool. Shop at Costco, K-mart and Walmart for supplies. Our favorites on Kauai were- Tunnels Beach, Hanalei Bay, Waimea Canyon, Spouting Horn, Wake up Cafe's- Cinnamon Macademia Nut Rolls- SOO GOOD, Over the Falls french toast is yummy too! Shrimp Station- sweet chile shrimp, Jojo's Shave ice- gotta have the ice cream and the cream on top! and listening to K-town heroes- Aldrine Guerrero!!

Kauai is paradise on Earth! Aloha!

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with family
7 Thank huladolz
San Antonio, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2009

We booked thru a private owner and stayed in unit # D104 for the month of July. We had stayed at this resort shortly after they opened two years ago and knew we wanted to return for longer. It's location serves as a perfect starting point for all the day trips. Have ann ABC store, Foodland, Safeway , Longs Drugs, Starbucks & Cold stone creamery all across the street was very nice. The street noise or traffice never was a problem. Once inside the resort and at the pool you feel very removed from how close the resort is to the street. As far as traffice, all of Kapaa gets crowded during peak times but ....are you really in a hurry to go any where of vacation?. Settle into island time and chill. Two monk seals were beaching out on the beach during our stay . Very cool. The nightly live entertainment at the bar was nice.. We would go down to the beach, watch the sunset and enjoy the music. We did use the bar-b-que grills several times. They do get crowded and a line forms but we usually buddied up with someone who left the grill hot for us or offered to share. Again, your on island time. Take a drink down to the pool and enjoy your time at the grill. Our stay was from July 1st to July 30th evening departure. As you can imagine we did and amazing amount of adventuring. It was soooo nice to return to Waipouli at night. Nice staff and no problems during our stay. All of Kapaa did have a power outage on night where all electricity in the entire city was off shortly. Again, not a biggie, the room had a flashlight and out on the lanai until resort was back up. Amazing trip. Of course, will return when we can.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank April1968
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kapaa
Kauai Beach Resort
#4 of 11 in Lihue
4.0 of 5 bubbles 2,201 reviews
Koloa
Grand Hyatt Kauai Resort & Spa
Koloa
Koa Kea Hotel & Resort

Been to Waipouli Beach Resort? Share your experiences!