“Very nice rooms!” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 11 Hotels in Kapaa
San Francisco
“Very nice rooms!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 August 2009

I had actually stayed here back in November 2007 but was not a member of TripAdvisor yet.

We had booked this through a third party since according to the Outrigger website there were no rooms available, or the one bedroom suites were not available.

Writing this is based on memory and I will say this property has absolutley great rooms, I wished I had its kitchen here at home! The property at the time was less than a year old so everything was practically brand new.

Some of the best things I remember in the room was the two LCD widescreen TV's, DVD players, fully equiped kitchen, sub-zero fridge, dual drawer dishwasher (first I've ever seen), big monster stove/oven, front load washer/dryer, two bathrooms, separate shower/tub and plenty of room. What's really nice about this is that most of the units are privately owned and managed by Outrigger so there where some beach items in the room that were available to use courtesy of owner.

The restaurant in the facility was not up to par in my opinion, maybe because there are too many options right down the street?

The pool area is nice, not as big as the website pictures show, but it's better to venture out to the beaches.

Across the street is a Safeway and Long's where you'll find almost everything you need. ABC Store and Starbucks too! And today (2009) there's a Papaya's Natural Foods Store (sorry no Whole Foods...yet). It's basically a small shopping plaza.

I really wanted to stay here again as I thought it was central to Princeville and Poipu Beach and very nice rooms, but for my trip (August 2009) there were no one bedroom suites available, only two bedrooms which drove the rates way too high. (For the August 2009 trip we stayed at the Westin Princeville, read my write-up if you have time).

At the time when I booked this in 2007 the room rate was averaged around USD $189 per night, and stayed for five nights.

We went to several different beaches for snorkeling but eventully went back to Lydgate Park, they have the best beach because there's a water-break for the waves so it's very calm and many fishes...buy some fish food from the ABC store, the fishes will love you!

Staff wise, only dealt with them checking-in and out. Average when it comes to welcoming, nothing really stood out.

Hope this helps!

• Stayed November 2007, travelled as a couple
2 Thank travelnut888

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (352)
Foster City, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 August 2009

Room H301 - 4 aduts and 2 kids. The Outrigger Waipouli Resort in Kapaa was great! Although we arrived 4 hours late and got to the hotel just before midnight and had to deal with a rather rude person at check-in who refused to assist us in any way, we were lucky to run into the security service that works at OWR. As I was struggling to get my handicapped parents, kids, luggage, etc., up to our room, they appeared seemingly from nowhere and were very kind to assist us. While my husband took our luggage up to the room, these ladies showed us the way to our room and wheeled my father in the courtesy wheelchair.

As others have described the resort, service was erratic - sometimes great - sometimes not so great...Housekeeping was spotty at times (sometimes forgot to clean room, leave towels or replenish soap/shampoo). On the positive side - the room itself was SUPER (in great condition) with great views. We were in unit H301 - a 3 bedroom/3 bathroom unit in Building H. I called a couple of times before our trip to ensure that we would receive a nice room (thank you Lani). As others have described in the past, the amenities in the room (Sub-zero fridge, wolf stoves, washer/dryer, furnishings, etc., were excellent). The lanais from both bedrooms directly overlooked the ocean towards the south (over a cultural preserve) and we had an unobstructed view although we had only reserved an ocean view room. The beds were super comfortable and there were flat screen TVs in all three rooms! The kids (4 and 7) adored the salt water pool (slides, waterfalls) (making up for the lack of a nice beach) although I would have liked the pool to have a bit more depth (it is only 3 - 4.5 feet). We usually hung out at the end farthest from the slides because we could sit under an unbrella. It was never crowded and we never had problems finding chairs. We always had use of a wheelchair to transport my Dad between our car and the room. Grocery shopping was easy at Safeway across the street. There's a Starbucks and Longs there as well, and an ABC, for shopping for your trip home. I also went to the Coffee Bean next to Foodland.
Overall I would say it was a great stay. If you are looking for a 5 star resort with its matching level of service (i.e., Four Seasons, Ritz Carlton) , this is not the place for you. However, if you want a relatively new, lovely condo with upscale amenities, gorgeous views, and a lovely pool, this is the perfect place for you! I would definitely stay here again.

2 Thank foodieFosterCity
california
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 August 2009

Stayed in A204 ocean front condo (5 adults and 1 child)

Good - central location - was able to see north, south and west in 3 days. Rest of the 3 days we just relaxed.
Good - pool - my son really enjoyed it. Loved the waterfall - great for shoulder massage :).
Good - View from the condo. We could listen to music at the bar from our lanai.
Good - We used the kitchen for breakfast and dinner. The condo only came with salt and paper shaker and couple of coffee packets. The items were never replenish. We had to buy salt and aluminum foil for cooking.

Bad - sofa bed unusable. The mattress was all springs. After complaining couple of times they provide us with fold out futon. It was way better than the mattress in the sofa bed.

Bad - Don't know if it true, no one is at the reception desk after midnight. We were flying direct from SFO to Kauai. Our flight was delayed 3 hrs. We called the resort from SFO informing them that we were delayed. We also called when we landed in Kauai. Each time they informed us that they will be there only until midnight. We landed in kauai around 10:30. Took a long time at Alamo rental due to computers being down. We got to the resort around 11:40pm. It was very stressful way to start our vacation.

3 Thank p111
CA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 August 2009

The place is beautiful. We loved the pool and our grandkids could not get enough of the tidal pool and slides. The front desk staff was not the friendliest, however. The concierge, Frannie, was just wonderful and helped us with trips for ourselves and our daughter and new husband. Our daughter, her husband and their 3 little kids stayed in a condo which we enjoyed visiting everyday. It was very nicely decorated and there was plenty of room for our extended family - a family of 11! Our room, however, was a disappointment. It was just a regular hotel room and coffee was supplied only on the first day as a "starter kit". Why advertize that there is in-room coffee if you are not going to supply it? It only makes you look good on paper and I guess is one of the things that gets you a 4-star rating. Worse than that there was only one tiny shelf over the sink to place your personal items on in the bathroom - I had to fashion a table out of the luggage rack and a piece of cardboard!! There were no hooks to hang either your towels or clothing on in the bathroom. I think both the missing shelves and lack of clothing hooks as serious defaults in the room design.

The housekeeping staff was another issue. They did come everyday and "tidy up" - made the bed and left fresh towels. But they took our pool towels away and I had to straighten it out with the towel guru at the pool. She was very nice about it but it was just one more thing to deal with. Another issue was I became very ill on the last 3 days of our trip and could not leave my bed. I hung the "Do Not Disturb" sign on the door and repeatedly they housecleaning staff would open the door. One time I was in the bathroom pulling on my pants when man from the housekeeping staff opened the door - and YES, there was a Do Not Disturb sign hanging on the doorknob - and asked if I was ready to have the room cleaned!!! Why have the signs if the housekeeping staff isn't going to abide by the guest's wishes?? That was our last day there and I was ready to get out of there. I have never had housekeeping issues like this anywhere I've traveled and I've traveled all over the world.

The shopping center across the street was a welcome sight once a few members of our party became ill with the flu. We didn't have to travel far to get medications, etc. We liked the convenience of having various shops closeby such as Longs and Safeway and Foodland. It made it very convenient to stock our supplies in the condo

The hotel is on a very busy street - the main thoroughfare from one end of the island to another. There was very little disturbance because of this and we hardly noticed the traffic.

The kids loved the condo and its closeness to the ocean. They made friends with other children in the condos nearby and would go out on frog hunts (catch and release) every night! We all enjoyed the chickens!!! and the various birds that inhabit the island. We loved the grounds and feeding the koi in the mornings.

I would recommend this hotel to a friend if they stayed in a condo. The hotel rooms were expensive and not worth the daily price. I would give it a 3-star rating rather than a 4-star.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
stephnrick
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2009

After reading the reviews of this hotel, we gave it a try. When landing at the Lihue airport we were extremley excited to get our honeymoon started. We stayed in Waikiki for 4 days previously, which was fun. But, were ready for a Hawaii adventure. When we pulled up to our hotel...disater! This hotel was located on a busy street with a shopping mall directly across from Outrigger. We checked in and were given a garden "ocean front". First of all floor rooms are a little scary and we had nothing close to ocean front. We immediatly began to dislike Kauai on behave of our impression of this hotel and it's location. We had dinner at Tidepools at Hyatt, when we pulled up we were so envous of everyone that was staying there. After our wonderful dinner, we spoke to the front desk for availabity there. We checked of the Outrigger and began to enjoy Kauai. One more thing the Outrigger is the only location in a very local aea, yes nice, but not what we were looking for.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
4 Thank stephnrick
Miinnesota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2009

First the not so good. The beach that it is on isn't very good. Much too rough. The sofa sleeper is unaceptbly bad. I never knew they made them so bad. Get a two bed room if you need two beds. Do NOT count the sofa as a sleeping option!!! The kitchen is too nice. Who cooks on vavation? It's vacation. I don't clean the bathroom either on vacation.

It is in new condition, big rooms. Not sure what I need 14 pillows for! We got a good price and third night free besides. So for us it was a bargain, at the posted rates it had better be perfect, and it was except my poor son slept on the floor.

We got upgraded to a part ocean view, perhaps it was because I was wearing my Trip Advisor hat!!

Aloha,
DAN

1 Thank Corvair65
Southern California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 August 2009

We just returned from a fun week-long stay at the Outrigger Waipouli Resort. "We" included 3 grandparents, mom, dad, and a 6 year old and a 2-1/2 year old. The kids absolutely LOVED the pool (as did we all), and the toddler beach pool was our 2-1/2 year old's dream come true. The condo was spacious enough for all 7 of us and having 3 bathrooms was great. The AC broke one afternoon but maintenance came immediately and made minor repairs and it ran perfectly the rest of our stay. Housekeeping was good but one day they picked up bath towels we'd left on the foor as instructed but didn't replace them. The Tahitian Bar & Grill was good. Feeding the koi in the mornings at 9:05 was a treat for the kids - the very nice young man with the fish food scooped out paper cupfulls of food for each child, who got to feed the fish. One tip for vacationers - if you're in the mood for Mexican food try Monico's just down the road. Tiny restaurant with EXCELLENT food and good service, and the mai tai's are terrific too!

• 4 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kapaa
Kauai Beach Resort
#4 of 11 in Lihue
4.0 of 5 bubbles 2,202 reviews
Koloa
Grand Hyatt Kauai Resort & Spa
Koloa
Koa Kea Hotel & Resort

Been to Waipouli Beach Resort? Share your experiences!