“Beautiful day on the Hanalei River”
Review of Kayak Kaua'i

Hanalei Bay Kayak and Snorkel Tour
US$57.29*
A Hui Hou Wailua River Paddle and Swim
More attraction details
Owner description: Rentals and Tours: River and Sea Kayaking, hiking/trekking, and stand up board. Na Pali camping equipment support and logistics. Vacation Rentals.
Reviewed 21 April 2014

We went kayaking on the Hanalei River with one other couple. Amos did a great job guiding and was very laid back with us experienced kayakers. He shared the names of the plants and birds and told us stories of the area. Kayaking in the river was followed by a short kayak in the bay and a little snorkeling before a snack lunch.

2  Thank stjohncoug
MiccoJones, Owner at Kayak Kaua'i, responded to this reviewResponded 22 April 2014

"A beautiful day on the Hanalei River!"

Kind of says it all and doesn't get any better.

Kaua'i in general and Hanalei specifically is one of the jewels that festoons this island.

Amos is not only a good waterman but brings a real neat dynamic to the tours he host/guides.

Like a few of our guides....very lucky to have him working with us.

Until our wakes cross...thanks for sharing

A hui hou, Micco

Reviewed 1 April 2014

Went with my husband and two kids on the Blue Lagoon kayak trip down the historic Hanalei River on March 31st. Despite the occasional downpour and cloudy skies, it was beautiful! The Hanalei river is good for kids to kayak down as it is "smooth" water without any rapids. Why "Kayak Kauai" when it's an easy paddle? It's because of the service! They pick you up at the Wailua marina and drive north to Hanalei and put the kayaks on the water for you. Give you a instructions on how to kayak and safety. The guide we had was very knowledgeable about the area fauna and history of Kauai. Even though I read stuff about the history of Kauai, Amos was able to give a few tidbits that were interesting. With the Blue Lagoon tour, we got a chance to go out to the ocean and paddle to a beach where we can snorkel. We were able to paddle out enough to see the surfers from afar and Amos guided us toward the beach. As my 10 yr old son and I paddled, it started to rain and the winds picked up and we got swept more towards the waves. By this time we had gotten away from our group and my son started getting scared (me too) as the waves were among us! I saw our guide, Amos, coming to help us and guide us back to calmer waters but I was still having a hard time calming my son and trying to fight the waves . We saw a huge wave come towards us and we were sideways with the wave and we FLIPPED over! My anxiety and total fear of drowning was quashed as I tried to find my son in the water. Thank god we both remembered the 3 things to remember that Amos told us prior to going kayaking in the ocean. We kept our paddles and found each other and during that short time of chaos, Amos got our kayak to us, got my son aboard and then stood (and balanced) on two kayaks to help "haul" me onboard my kayak (all this while some waves were still coming). Once we were safely on the kayak, Amos calmly guided us back to safe waters and onto the beach. All this happened in minutes and I didn't really realize how dangerous the situation could've been but Amos didn't let that happen and my whole family is extremely grateful. Although we had experience kayaking on fresh water in the past, the ocean is a whole different matter and that is when a Kayak Kauai guide is important. My son this morning said "Amos saved our lives mom" and for that we thank you Amos from the bottom of our hearts!!!!

On a side note, the lunch was very good. They provided fresh sandwiches and chocolate chip cookies made from the Passion Bakery and had sweet pineapple, taro chips, juice and water. The staff at the service counter were very friendly and helpful as well. We had originally booked a tour on a sat but didn't listen to our voicemail that it was cancelled due to weather. Tara helped us out with providing us ideas of other activities and also provided us with sandwiches for the lunch that we would've had. A great bike ride came out of that, thanks Tara!

Thanks Kayak Kauai for employing such great staff! And Amos, my kids are still laughing about the "Safeway" joke!

1  Thank travelbugsforever
Micco_Godinez, Owner at Kayak Kaua'i, responded to this reviewResponded 3 April 2014

Sound like you all had an adventure!

Many of our guides are surfers and being a surfer myself, feel that surfers make great river and ocean guides.

We are lucky to have Amos with us and over the years have come to appreciate his energy and wisdom. Amos is the epitome of Aloha and we are very fortunate to have him on the staff.

Thanks again for taking the time to share your views and experience. You will have to come back and do our Sacred Falls tour and experience another of our excellent guides.

Until then...keep paddling.

A hui hou, Micco

Reviewed 26 March 2014

My husband and I did the "el cheapo" kayak tour on Tuesday March 25...we love kayaking, and even the sudden deluge of rain could not deter our fun. Kayak Kauai provided everything we needed...large, good quality kayak's with comfortable seats, paddles, dry bags, water, etc , and a local guide who knew the river and the surroundings extremely well.

We were delayed starting due to one family's tardiness, so we ended up with 2/12 hours paddling, rather than 3, which for us, was a real disappointment. We live in a climate where the mountains and snow are far closer than oceans and rivers, so we would have loved more time on the water; but what we DID HAVE was awesome, even in that rain :-)

I have two suggestions: 1...the guides should be spending time explaining to novice and beginner paddlers, how to actually HOLD the paddle and the correct placement of same in the water..in all water sports requiring a device to maneuver (like kayaking and canoeing), there is a proper way to hold the paddle (or oar) and an ideal distance to keep same from the edge of the vessel...this sort of explanation would be very helpful and put starting paddlers more at ease. And 2....change that name "el cheapo" :-)...This tour deserves a name more befitting the joyous activity it actualy is..

HIGHLY RECOMMEND.

Micco_Godinez, Owner at Kayak Kaua'i, responded to this reviewResponded 28 March 2014

Always thank folks who take the time to share with others their experiences and also how we can improve.

We are blessed with some great guides and a testament to this, as you experienced, was having a great paddle in-spite of less than perfect weather. I am fond of saying without rain you would not have rainbows.

Also thanks for your pointers in better dealing with the novice paddler

About changing the name of "El Cheapo Tour"....well, maybe one day.

A hui you and until our wakes cross again.

Micco

Reviewed 17 March 2014

This venue is not for someone who does not have some level of fitness. You kayak 4 miles and hike 2 miles. This time of year the hike was very muddy. We walked in mud/muddy water about 18" deep. It was fun, but it was work. Secret Falls is very pretty. For us, it was worth the kayak and hike. The lunch at the falls was satisfying and gives you the energy you need for the activity. When you make your reservation ask about the trail conditions. I would not recommend sneakers, but water shoes and/or hiking boots.

Micco_Godinez, Owner at Kayak Kaua'i, responded to this reviewResponded 19 March 2014

Aloha Rick,

Thanks for warning folks about the mud.

Also as you experienced, especially with the high winds
we just witnessed, it would have been easier to paddle up stream with the East winds.
And allot of hard work paddling back to our launch site at our Wailua River Marina Shop.

Kind of counter intuitive...but in most days it is easier to paddle up stream against the current than it is paddling down stream against the wind.

In my years of paddling...it is generally the wind that will do you in.

Keep paddling and thanks agains for taking the time to share.

Until our wakes cross.

A hui hou,

Micco

Reviewed 13 March 2014

Couldn't of had a better guide than Forrest, fun and very knowledgeable. Lot's of info about plants, history, culture and even pronunciation of Hawaiian. Took good care of everyone on a muddy and slippery trail and kept us safe.

Mahalo Forrest,

Troy and Mickie

Aloha Mickie,

Can't see the "forest" but for the trees. I don't know if this pertains...but nice quote nevertheless.

Had to set the record straight.

You have us mixed up with another company that offers the tour.

That said, it just confirms what I have known for some time, that there are a few companies out there doing a great job.

Thanks for sharing. Aloha, Micco