“Best of both worlds”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Kapaa
Kakalina's Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #3 of 5 Kapaa B&B and Inns
Reviewed 18 September 2012

A trip to Hawaii means living at the ocean, or so I thought. My husband and I recently spent half of our Kauai week at Kakalina's and half of the week in a condo in Poipu. I was able to get my ocean fix with long days at the beaches on the north and east side of the island, yet return in the evening to the quiet and seclusion of our room at Kakalina's, especially enjoying the deep bath tub and the front porch. We fell asleep to the soothing sound of gentle rainfall and awoke to the call of roosters. Kathy, our hostess, did not intrude but was available to answer all our questions, offering recommendations about activities and restaurants. She provided us with fresh juice, island fruits and baked goods, replenishing them whenever we depleted the supply. We definitely prefer the quiet of this location to the congestion we found on the south side of the island and we look forward to a return trip.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 11 September 2012

We stayed 6 nights at Kakalina's. Overall it is very great. Kathy, the host, is a busy woman so the service is not part of it and I felt she had no time to loose with any extra conversation but when I needed something she always picked up the phone and helped me. She is also a fantastic baker, so somedays, when we were lucky, she backed some amazing banana bread or cinnamon cakes... Days without luck we had plain bagels that I doubt she had backed. The rooms/studio are very spacious and clean, prices are more than reasonnable. There is also a bunch of beach towels, short boards, books ect... that you can borrow !
To me the only annoyance was the noise created by roosters ( they are all over the island), it is very very noisy, not only in the morning but it can happen also in the middle of the night.
Overall a very good place to stay in Kauai !

• Stayed: September 2012
Reviewed 4 April 2012

Our stay at Kakalina's was not a great one. We were able to check into our suite early, which was a nice convenience. However, the cost of this was a brief and less than thorough run through of the place. Our initial impression was that the suite was nicely built, but fairly basic- especially after being spoiled at our last B & B, the nearby Dilly Dally House. "Basic" seemed to sum up our impressions after that- furniture was uncomfortable, especially the bed- and "breakfast" consisted of orange juice in a mason jar, homemade pastry, and a few pieces of fruit. Our biggest beef with the place was the cleanliness. There were insects everywhere. Ants crawling on the counter, and bugs crawling the wall (my husband enjoyed going on a killing spree the first evening!). If it weren't for the $40 cleaning fee, this place would be a good no frills, affordable place to stay. If we could do it over again, we would splurge on a place that would have left us with better memories of beautiful Kauai.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
60616Kathy, Owner at Kakalina's Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 13 April 2012

The last thing an innkeeper wants to see is an negative review . In this case the issue stemmed from a mistake the guests made in placing a corded tea kettle on my new ceramic cook top melting the kettle onto the cook top. As a result the kettle was ruined and the cook top took several hours to clean and restore. To my dismay the guests would not take responsibility but did finally agreed to a low cost settlement reluctantly. It is an unfortunate situation and I don't believe this review reflects a true assessment of the cleanliness on my B&B.

Reviewed 2 January 2012

We loved the lush flowers, (see photos) - I took my favorite pictures of her flowers and had huge canvas prints made. I can look at hawaii everyday! I would MUCH rather stay here than a stuffy, overpriced swanky hotel!! Can't beat these prices!

Kathy went above and beyond, book our rental car and excurtions for us months before we arrived. breakfast was awesome! just taking a walk down the street, we saw a picturesque creek with mini waterfalls.

Michelle and Jason

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 December 2011

Wonderful spot, up the hill above the comfortable town of Kapaa. Nice setting in a residential area, well kept, lovely two room and two bath suite. Fresh homegrown flowers and fruit daily, and loaf of banana bread to go with the fresh coffee. Rainy season, so we had showers at night at this higher elevation. Chickens, of course; this is Kauai for sure. We hope to return. Thanks you , Kathy.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Brian T
Reviewed 14 September 2011

We went to Kauai to celebrate a special event; my girlfriend's 40th birthday. Wanting to stay away from the overly commercialized resorts and hotels that cater to tourists and their generic tastes, we decided to book with a B&B in the "country-side" in an effort to have a more peaceful and authentic Kaua'i experience. While I myself am a native NYer and am accustomed to the stereo-typical, no-nonsense attitudes for which my fellow NYers are well known, I don't expect that from a small B&B owner who's business (allegedly) relies upon hospitality. Contrary to being pleasant and welcoming, Kathy came across as rude, abrupt, and condescending. Rather than talk with us for any length about sights and activities options, she preferred to refer us to her tome of a loose-leaf binder filled with dated and oft-times obsolete, faded photo-copied sheets of information. My girlfriend - who is far less cynical than I - even made mention to me of Kathy's less-than inviting demeanor. Strike one.

Shortly after we checked-in, Kathy informed us that "oh, by the way" she (the owner and proprietor of Kakalina's) was not going to be around for the duration of our 5-day stay as she was heading to the mainland for a week+ of fun. I was shocked to hear that a hospitality business owner would leave her guests. She indicated that "some friends would pop over" from "time to time" to check on her property, but failed to leave their contact information with us should we need to contact them for any reason / needs that arose. Unsurprisingly, we never saw or heard from these friends of hers. I reckon it was a good thing we opted not to have daily breakfast with her being she would not have even been around to prepare it. Perhaps she was just intending to drop off a week's supply of Safeway-purchased fruit to our unit and call it good. Regardless ... Strike two.

When Kathy walked us into our room, we were surprised to find it unprepared for our arrival. Not only was it un-ventilated, stale smelling, and hot as a sauna, but she had not yet finished folding the laundry and putting it away. Given all her rooms had a small kitchenette (one of the reasons we selected hers over other B&B options in the area), we were surprised to find that after we made our first meal the next day that there was only one fork. Of course, with Kathy gone to the mainland, there was no one to call to get another one. Admittedly, it was not that big of a deal, but was an annoyance. After cleaning up, we noticed just how unclean her place was which was both surprising and infuriating given she charges an extra $40 room cleaning fee. Sadly, there was little evidence of her spending any real effort on ensuring the rooms were cleaned between guest stays. The counter-tops were both sticky and dusty (as were some of the dishes), crumbs littered the place mats on the dining table, and the entertainment area (tv / bookcase) was covered with cob-webs. Dustiness and crumbs aside, the room was infested with ants. Over the course of 5 days, we must have killed hundreds of them. Worse still, we found and killed four of the largest mutant roaches you will ever find; one in the living area, and three discovered in the bathroom shower as we got ready for our day. Strike 3.

Since no place is without its redeeming qualities, I will say that the grounds were lush and well-groomed. The lake / lagoon was dried up during our stay, but the vegetation was still vibrant and beautiful to be around. We ate our fruit-stand purchase each morning and drank a few beers each evening on the wooden patio overlooking the lagoon area, admiring the serenity in the morning and view of the stars in the evening.

And while I was no fan of her decor or general furnishings, the bed and bed linens were superior to those found in most upscale resorts and hotels. However, the bathroom linens (towels, bath mat, wash cloths, etc) were poor quality as in obtained from Goodwill or garage / yard sales.

Overall, I rate our stay with Kakalina's a "1 out of 5" (1 = poor / 5 = exceptional).

Room Tip: Ensure that if you are paying an additional cleaning fee that your room is as clean as you would exp...
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank TheSchmidFactor
Management response:Responded 8 October 2011

I am very sorry to hear this guest’s disappointing review.
When this guest called to book 2 days prior to checking in, I had made previous plans to visit relatives, and offered him a discount for not supplying breakfast daily. He heartily agreed to a lower daily rate with no food. For his 4 night stay, I was on property for 2 nights and had my manager (not a friend) staying on property the other 2. She was always available for all the guests, yet never heard from this couple.
His statement about groceries being purchased from “Safeway” is entirely misleading and false. I always provide homebaked breads, muffins, fresh fruit from Kauai Farmers Markets, juices, yogurt, coffee and teas.
I have done an inventory of the contents in the unit and have resupplied utensils. Sometimes things get shared and misplaced beyond my control.
I have discussed his cleaning issues with my housekeepers.
Living in the tropics has its challenges with pests, as even 5-star hotels deal with also.
Leaving food out and open will always invite unwanted pests.
I hope the county’s repairs to our reservoir will be finished in the near future, but it is needed for safety reasons and out of my control.
I would hope people reading his comments will also read the many positive ones I have received as I pride myself on offering a special and memorable Kauai experience at Kakalina’s.

Reviewed 31 May 2011

Here is the straight scoop from someone who has visited the Hawaii islands dozens of times and have stayed at a multitude of places, which include resorts, condos, villas, and bed & breakfasts.

If this is your first time to Hawaii, you probably have expectations of staying at an exclusive resort, with a balcony overlooking the ocean, room service, your own cabana, and a pool boy that will hand you a tropical drink every time you extend your arm from the lounge chair you are reclining in.
If that is what you are looking for, you need not read any further. Kakalinas is not the place for you.

If you want to escape the tourist aspect, and experience something more meaningful, something that will give you taste of what it feels like to live in Hawaii... Then Kakalinas is the place for you.

The first time I heard about Kakalinas Bed & Breakfast was when I was watching the Travel Channel’s, “Girl in Hawaii” with Samantha Brown.
Samantha Brown gave Kakalinas a Great Review.
I thought I’d give Kakalinas a try.

The first time my wife & I stayed there, we were more than pleased.
It was affordable, it was clean, it was spacious (as far as bed & breakfasts are concerned). No sharing of bathrooms, kitchen facilities in each unit, very nicely decorated, fresh cut flowers every day... I could go on and on but you get the point. It was very nice.
Every day there were delicious treats and fresh juices waiting for you.
In my opinion, Kathy, the Inn-keeper, did everything in her power to make our stay as pleasant a possible - more than happy to answer any questions we had about things to do and sites or attractions to see.

Since my first stay at Kakalinas, I have returned to that bed & breakfast several more times through out the years and more than likely, will continue to stay there in future visits to Kauai.
All considered, I would highly recommend staying there.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled solo
2  Thank DustinPlank
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kapaa
Aston Islander on the Beach
#10 of 11 in Kapaa
Garden Island Inn Hotel
Hilton Garden Inn Kauai Wailua Bay
Waimea Plantation Cottages

Been to Kakalina's Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!