“Flowers, birds and pineapples”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Kapaa
Kakalina's Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #3 of 5 Kapaa B&B and Inns
Reviewed 17 March 2014

A tropical paradise: Beautiful, relaxing and full of wonderful experiences. Back home we dearly miss watching the sunrise over the ocean, savouring on fresh fruits, on juices and fresh bakery for breakfast in our “home away from home”: Hale ' Kolu. We especially enjoyed a well equipped kitchen, comfortable bedroom, including an ample wardrobe space, and tasteful selection of furniture. We missed our own lanai though, but for her guests Kathie provides a picnic area in her large garden. Kakalina is central to great places everywhere and at the same time provides a pleasant retreat away from too touristic spots. Thank you, Kathy, for hospitality, and privacy, and for support, if needed. We had such a great time at your B &B!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 2 February 2014

Kathy was an amazing host with an equally amazing property. Tropical gardens and birds of every sort were all around. We hiked, kayaked and beached every day, but we just could have stayed at Kakalina's all day also. Fresh juice and fresh fruit every day. We were central to everything and out of the resort bubble. Why someone would stay in a hotel when this place is available is beyond me. Thank you for having us at your home.

Room Tip: They are all different with individualized charms.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 November 2013

We had a very long flight to Kauai due to strong headwinds which got us to our final destination close to four hours later than expected. The directions given were perfect even though navigating at night can be stressful as the roads do not have many street lights. We did arrive to our suite and immediately felt at home. I was already looking forward to the breakfast that had been laid out. Fresh tropical fruits (many from Kathy's own garden), home baked coffee cake, and fresh squeezed orange/fruit juice in a mason jar as well as yoghurt in the fridge.
The one thing that I appreciated the most with Kathy is that she is attentive to her guest's needs while respecting their time schedule and privacy. I completely enjoyed the 'real' factor with her as we are not the kind of folks who need to feel doted upon. Our suite was clean and all amenities were available. We saw a couple of geckos during our visit which was good as they eat many insects. Remember, you're visiting the Garden Island and with all gardens come insects good and bad.
Kauai is all about its natural beauty and having the opportunity to stay with one of the Island's residents was a real plus for us. Yes the location of the B&B is quite rural and be forewarned you will be awoken by roosters in the morning. However, I am unsure if there isn't an area on Kauai that you wouldn't hear the roosters. Look up Hurricane Iniki and chicken coops in your Kauai Guidebook - it's a great story.
The charm and generosity of Kathy and her property exceeded our expectations. Mahalo Kathy, for adding to the wonderful experience of our first visit to Kauai.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 October 2013

Beautiful, pleasant, relaxing, in a tropical paradise. Our room had wonderful screened in lanai, surrounded by tropical plants, and flowers, but the elevation is high enough in the hills you can see all the way to the ocean, and a nice breeze. We stayed here 6 years ago and always wanted to come back. The only reason I did not give the top rating is the bed was a little mushy ( soft ), and a few mornings instead of a fresh baked, we got store bought bagels, no jelly or jam. I thought we had some home made jams on our first visit. There is some good hiking nearby, but I did not do it this time since the trails were muddy from the rain, and I did not have my hiking shoes.

Room Tip: I think our room was the gardina located at the back of the main house. This one has the great lanai...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 September 2013

My stay at Kakalina's was everything and more than I could have hoped for. I wanted to experience the beauty and essence of Kauai without the resort factor and my stay at Kakalina's exceeded that. The charm, style and peace gave the impression of truly residing on Kauai. The room was spotless, had every amenity I could possibly desire and the price was extremely reasonable. Kathy, the owner, was a gracious host...helpful while still respecting my privacy. I'm already planning my next visit!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 25 June 2013

Kakalina's is truely a one in a million Bed & Breakfast. Open the shuttered windows in the morning to smell the fragrances of her tropical flowers is fantastic. The suite has everything any tourist, anywhere could want or need.... and then there is the fruit and the home made muffins. This is the place dreams are made of and Kathy is the perfect host. I would highly recommend Kakalina's to anyone. Thanks Kathy for all your help and for the most wonderful vacation.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Peter D
Reviewed 9 May 2013

The Kakalina Bed and Breakfast is set up in the hills above Kapaa. It is peaceful, beautiful. I had the downstairs unit in the guest house. It was like having my own apartment--bedroom, bathroom, kitchen, sitting room, lanai. The sitting room overlooks greenery, sloping hills. The only sounds you hear are rain, roosters, birds. Kathy provides delicious fruit, homemade muffins, coffee, juice. When you want to see the sights of Kauai, you drive down the hill. Easy. After a day of touring, traffic, other tourists, you return to your quiet refuge. I highly recommend it.

Room Tip: The downstairs unit is perfect if you are travelling alone or are a couple. The upstairs room accomo...
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Susie P
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kapaa
Kauai Shores Hotel
Hale Puka 'Ana
Hale Puka 'Ana
#1 of 1 in Kekaha
Hale Ho'o Maha Bed & Breakfast

Been to Kakalina's Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!