1, Our ocean front view room was about 50 yds from the ocean. I dont think their are too many places on Kauai where you can get that for $150.00 a night.
2. The rooms were kept clean.
3. Hotel staff was for the most part, friendly and attentive. Had a little run in with them during checkout. Ill get to that later.
3. While the outside looks dated, the inside of the rroms are fairly updated. Flat sceen tv, nice beds, updated ceiling lights.
4. There's a restaurant across the street called the Kountry Kitchen. Awesome pancakes and omlettes.
5. They have 3 bicycles that they'll rent you for $5 a day. Pretty convenient b/c theres a 4 mile bike path right behind the hotel that parrallels the ocean. Plus, you can ride them through town and pass most of the cars stalled in traffic.
1. It's in Kapa'a. By that, i mean traffic here is worse than Friday afternoon rush hour traffic in downtown Austin. Also, i'm not saying its lower end income on this side of the island, but i dont think anyone will ever confuse Kapa'a with Princeville. Go to Princeville and you will see what I mean.
2. Too much room furniture. The rooms for a double queen are too small. They tried jamming three chairs into this room, which gave us no space at all. It wouldve been better if they had taken all the chairs out. Reminded me of a NYC hotel room (tiny).
3. The beds were too firm. My wife never got a good nights sleep on their matress. She claims she found softer surrfaces on the top of the Waimea Canyon. I thought the beds were pretty firm but i can sleep on floors.
I want to give this place 4 stars but i will not. Why? Because during checkout, the staff got all petty with me. As I approached the checkout desk, there they were, like bodies chalked out at a crime scene in some dark alley: 2 stained towels. Like evidence being presented at my trial, I felt like Tot Mom having to explain herself to the police as to why she waited 31 days to report her child missing. The prosecutor errrrr. housekeeper kindly showed me two stained towels from my room. They insisted I pay for them since they were stained and could not be used again. True, I had taken some towels during an ATV excursion and had used them after i ahd showered. Understand this: I am not upset at having to pay for some towels that i ruined, just dont tell me you paid $15.00 for each towel because that is crap. I dont believe you bought them at Macy's and i don't really care how much in gas in cost you to drive ten miles to the mall to get them. They should factor in the cost of doing business and not try to make a profit from selling towels That's my beef with them. Having dropped over a thousand bucks for an 8 day stay, i thought it was weak for them to charge me that much for them.
Also, plan wisely. Most of our activities occurred on the west and south side of the island. thats where we should have stayed. We spent a lot of time commuting to our activites and theres a lot of traffic on the island and a lot of traffic construction. Stay at a location that is central to your activities, if at all possible.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Explore beautiful Kauai from our centrally located OCEANFRONT Hotel! Hotel Coral Reef, built in 1956, is known to be the island's original boutique hotel. Located in the historical town of Kapa'a, which features a variety of unique stores and restaurants for visitors to enjoy, Hotel Coral Reef invites you to experience our beautiful oceanfront guest rooms located 50 steps from the warm waters of the Pacific Ocean. Perched on a gorgeous coral reef area, great for snorkeling, our intimate setting allows you to connect and reflect with "The Garden Island's" natural beauty. Direct access to the Ke Ala Hele Makalae ("the path that goes by the coast") allows you to bike, walk, run, or stroll the magnificent East-side coastline. Scenic vistas offer glimpses of pounding surf, spouting whales, and if you are lucky, a visit from one of Hawaii's elusive monk seals. Our King and Double Queen rooms will allow you to relax, unwind, and rejuvenate your soul. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Odigeo, Travel Republic (UK), HotelsClick, Ebookers and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your Hotel Coral Reef reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Coral Reef Kapaa
- Hotel Coral Reef Kauai, Hawaii - Kapaa