“Adventure Seekers Paradise with the Aloha Spirit”
Review of Hotel Coral Reef

Hotel Coral Reef
Ranked #3 of 11 Hotels in Kapaa
Reviewed 29 September 2011

My Girlfriend and I loved this Hotel!! We love outdoor adventure and the Hotel staff was wonderful with the best tips as to places to have explore. All the staff...from the house keeping to the front desk, were gracious and fantastic with the true ALOHA Spirit! The accomodations were plush and peaceful especially after a long day of hiking! We can't wait to return again for our yearly adventure! :)

Room Tip: Book ahead if an Ocean View is a must!
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank kuiethiker

Reviewed 28 September 2011

Thank you to Rhonda and the staff at The Coral Reef. Great service, beautiful place I highly recomend a stay. We will be back! Brian

Room Tip: Location and a helpful staff are critical. This place has both.
Reviewed 12 September 2011

I was and still am fairly confused by the glowing reviews of the Coral Reef Hotel. I feel like I stayed at a completely different hotel than the one described because where we stayed was lackluster at best. We are very much budget travelers, but this place was a stretch even for us! At $90 a night for a “garden” view room (said in quotes because there was no garden, only a view of the building next to us) is a good deal especially for an ocean front property. However we were so disappointed. Let’s start with the good:

-Staff: was very friendly and nice. They answered questions for me when I called ahead of time, and always said hello when we ran into them and were just generally very pleasant.

-The ground outside the hotel room is very well kept and it is right on the bike/walking path that runs along the beach, which is great. It also is right on the water, although the beach is very small, but its close to other larger beach areas.

-The location is very convenient, within walking distance of many restaurants and shops.

-The hotel offers free DVD “rentals” (I say that in quotes because you are not charged, you just have to check out the movie at the front desk)

-The beds were suprisingly comfortable, and the linens were very nice quality.

That’s about where it ended for the pluses for me. Our room was dirty. Not like “hmm, they probably should replace the carpet” (which they should) but dirty dirty, like filth in the corners of the bathroom, the tub was stained brown, there were spider webs in most of the corners of the room, and the grout tile was a dark grey from lack of a good scrubbing. We have been to Hawaii as well as many other tropical locations, so we are aware that bugs come with the territory, however there is a limit. On the first night my husband killed 3 cockroaches, a spider and several ants in our room, then we found a dead bug IN OUR SHEETS. Every morning when I would go to shower the water would shut off. Completely. It would eventually turn back on again, but then would proceed to shut off for intervals of time. This happened every morning we were there (4 in total). So that was pretty lame. The “complimentary breakfast” consisted of a pretty decent fruit salad and then packaged cheap-o pastries you find in a gas station, so that was really disappointing. The pool would be nice but needed to be cleaned there were dead bugs and leaves everywhere and we even found a dead crab in there, great. Oh and the pool is locked and to get in you have to find someone with a key to let you in, which I thought was strange, and rather inconveniencing. The beach is ok, but very narrow and had quite a few rocks in the sandy area, so not really great to lay out at and definitely too rocky to swim at, which we knew ahead of time, but figured I’d mention in the review. Oh and the free wifi didn’t work, even after we stopped by to ask, the answer we were given was “well its working for some people”…thanks for the help!

The topping on the whole experience for us was the fact that $60 in cash mysteriously disappeared from my wallet that was stuffed in my suitcase. My fault for not putting it in the safe, however a huge disappointment that we would need to use a safe at a family owned hotel that has locking doors.

I notified the staff of the bugs both in the room and in the bed, as well as the water shutting off, and it wasn’t until I point blank asked for a refund that they obliged (but only 1 of the 4 nights was refunded to me). The front desk informed me that it was because I stayed in a garden view room, if I would have spent the money for an ocean view I wouldn’t have been in this precarious situation…the ocean view room is over twice the cost of the garden view, so then completely negates the savings of booking in the less expensive room.

We would not come back here, despite the central location and low price…this is a classic case of sometimes “you get what you pay for”.

5  Thank GlobeTrottingPanda
reefwalker123, Manager at Hotel Coral Reef, responded to this reviewResponded 20 September 2011

We at the Hotel Coral Reef take great pride in providing immaculate cleanliness in all our rooms and are extremely surprised of your experience. We have spoken with our housekeeping staff and gone over our housekeeping procedures to make sure each room are inspected to assure our guests this will not happen again. We sincerely apologize and assure you this was an isolated incident. thank you for letting us know, as we appreciate any feedback.

Reviewed 12 September 2011

We stayed here for 3 days and wish we'd had longer. The room was spacious, comfortable and tastefully furnished and equipped. We had an ocean-front room with balcony, and the view over the sea was wonderful - the website gives a very accurate picture. We had a warm welcome and the staff were all helpful and friendly. We really felt that they were pleased to have us staying there. It's a great hotel (no restaurant, but plenty of places to eat within easy walking distance).

Room Tip: Ocean-front is definitely best. 1st floor has better views over the sea, ground floor opens out on t...
1  Thank Debbie M
Reviewed 9 September 2011

We were looking for a romantic location to spend our 10 year wedding anniversary and this place was all that and more. Literally right on the ocean's edge. What could be more exciting than making love with the sounds of waves crashing so nearby? Then enjoying a cup a java with your lover on your lap viewing the vibrant colors of the ocean as you ready to continue the previous night. The hospitality of the management was beyond superb. Listen to their advice for local eats because we loved each dining experience. Enjoy the fresh fruits sold locally and definitely try the wheat grass shots next door at the Coconut Cup. To my Hilo bruddha - Aloha from my father. Malamapono a hui hou. The Bakers.

Room Tip: Get the King size bed with the ocean view:)
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 1 September 2011

We had the time of our lives here! Great service, friendly staff, great location, ocean view. Everything we wanted and then some! Mahalo Coral Reef!!! :)

• Stayed: August 2011
Reviewed 28 August 2011

We had a super visit at the Coral Reef in Kappa a. We had a second floor balcony room that over looked the ocean. The room had a nice Tommy Bahamas feel with a very comfortable bed. The service was always friendly and helpful. The breakfast included fresh fruit and cereal bars or pastries. If you need a big breakfast this is not for you. It was perfect for us who need a quick bite that we can take to go and head to the canyon. A few of my favorite extras were the bikes and beach chairs available for no addition cost or hassle. I would stay here again. Thanks Coral Reef for making our visit special.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kapaa
Kauai Beach Resort
Aston Islander on the Beach
Koloa Landing Resort at Poipu, Autograph Collection
Plantation Hale Suites
Hilton Garden Inn Kauai Wailua Bay

Been to Hotel Coral Reef? Share your experiences!