“Great spot”
Review of Hotel Coral Reef

Hotel Coral Reef
Ranked #2 of 11 Hotels in Kapaa
Reviewed 9 September 2013

Smaller hotel than the other big resorts on the island. Located on the east side or "coconut coast" in Kapa'a town. I think every room has an ocean view and right on the coast. Excellent spot if you are looking to explore the island since it is pretty central to both north/Napali coast and south-to-west. Friendly staff. Easy access to great bike path; hotel rents bikes to guests. Towels, boogie boards, and beach chairs available to guests for beach adventures. Continental breakfast offered. We booked SCUBA through our hotel; they are very helpful in booking excursions as desired. Small pool with waterfall. Seems like a place more appropriate for couples, small groups of friends; larger resort/hotels may be more appropriate for children. FYI- lots of feral chickens on the island and they do crow a lot. If you are a light sleeper, bring ear plugs.

Room Tip: 2 stories and no elevator. No fitness center (but isn't Hawaii a fitness center? Who wants to wo...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank SSV25

Reviewed 3 September 2013

I would like to begin by first thanking the staff at the ST. Regis resort in Princeville for recommending this hotel to my wife and I. After having a wonderful time at the St. Regis my wife and I decided to extend our vacation on Kauai and were looking for accommodations on the eastern side of the island. A staff member of the St. Regis Hotel mentioned the Hotel Coral Reef and said it is highly recommended by locals on the island. After reading many reviews online both good and bad we decided to give it a try. Well, it's the best experience that we have ever had on the island and we look forward to our return visit.
As we pulled into the hotel my wife and I immediately felt a sense of peace and relaxation the same feeling you would have while looking at a postcard of Hawaii while in the winter. The hotel is located in the town of Kapaa. A cool little bohemian type of town where you will find cafes, coffee shops, and boutiques.
We were greeted by a very friendly and professional staff who truly made us feel at home. To our surprise the room has all the upgrades that you would expect from a luxury resort. Amazing Ocean view, granite counter tops, jacuzzi bathtub, and the coolest are the blue accent lighting that my wife and I love. And not to forget the beach is like 50 ft away from the building simply amazing.
I looked forward to the complementary morning refreshments that's served daily in the lobby. It was great we got to meet other couples and share our experiences on the island and exchange travel tips. It reminded me of a family breakfast where everyone gets together talks about their day before it even begins. But, one tip that my wife and i discovered is to get to know the General Manager Joseph he is amazing very knowledgable of the islands history, culture and politics which makes a great conversation. We even discovered that while he is not managing the hotel he serves on the county of Kauai as a commissioner for the counties Open Space commission and was able to direct us to beaches and scenic places that are not in the guide books and only few locals know about. He was also able to recommend places for us to dine and activities for us to enjoy I gota say he definitely knows quality.
Our overall experience was uniquely Hawaiian and have nothing to complain about. My suggestion to anyone looking for a place to get away relax and enjoy a personal level of service go to the Hotel Coral Reef. We just loved every part of it

Room Tip: Oceanfront King Suite on the second floor is great.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Jared F
Reviewed 24 August 2013

I want to urge everyone to think twice before staying here. They eventually stole money by charging our credit card 3 times. They never replied to my e-mail inquiries about this. I had to file a complaint with the credit card company to get my money back. Read the last part for details about this.

First let me sum up the good things:
- Very nice and spacious room with king bed and mini fridge, nice touch with the decorative lighting.
- You can just park on the property
- Next to the ocean and a bike pathway, although no sandy beach
- You get a mini breakfast in the lobby for free

The not so good things:
- The pool water was not clean enough
- The breakfast is really mini and you need to take it back to the room because there is no place to sit except 1 couch
- I was almost electrocuted by the lamp next to the bed, the wiring was loose

The really bad things:
- I booked through their website and using a spring special and got a decent rate, i printed this confirmation. However 2 days later I received an e-mail from the management confirming my reservation but stating a higher rate. I e-mailed them back and asked about why the rate had gone up. They replied saying this was the spring special rate. I then replied again and attached the confirmation that I had clearly stating a lower price with all taxes inclusive. They replied with the same text, they clearly did not bother to read my attachment. As it wasn't prepaid I choose to ask about this upon check-in.

-When checking in I showed the confirmation and asked why the higher price. The manager (Joseph) was surprised about this, but was very friendly and said he would adjust my booking and give me an even better rate, lower then the first confirmed one. I was very happy about this. I asked for a printed confirmation (duplicate) for this rate, and this seemed to surprise him, but after getting paper, he printed this out for me. I signed his copy.

- On the evening of 2nd day we noticed our room hadn't been refreshed, and we had no fresh towels or coffee. I went to the manager and asked about this. It turns out you need to put a little sign on your door for housekeeping to come. However this sign was not present in our room. I received a new sign to use and after my request I got a couple of fresh towels, sadly housekeeping had already left.

-On the evening of the 3rd day there was again NO HOUSEKEEPING and I did put up the sign this time. I went to the manager again, and he said the maid was confused by the sign (?!), he laughed about that and apologized saying it's their fault this time. As if the 1st time was my fault?
I received a beach towel, because there were no others left, so we could shower.

-On the 4th day the housekeeping finally came, but it didn't matter anymore since we were checking out in the morning.

When checking out the lady went to print our bill and it showed the standard rate for 1 night. I was surprised and said the rate was not correct, she smiled and explained this was the rate for 1 night stay. Polite and correct as I am, I said we stayed 4 nights, and the bill was too low. She was confused and I said Joseph had manually adjusted our booking with a special rate, perhaps the system was confused. She called Joseph and he confirmed this, they tried to correct this on the computer, but it seemed difficult. Joseph said no worry we will just process your credit card for the correct rate and e-mail the bill. Luckily I had the printed confirmation from checking in with the rate Joseph promised. They charged this to my credit card and I signed the duplicate and left for the airport.

2 days later I received an e-mail from the hotel stating they hadn't charged enough at check-out and they charged another 190$ on my card. I replied back; saying this was a mistake and I had gotten the rate from Joseph the manager, and had only signed documents stating this rate. I urged them to refund this. I received no reply whatsoever. When i checked my bank statement they had charged a 2nd time the 190$ and then another 3rd charge for 24$. I consider this theft.

I had to file a complaint with Mastercard showing the documents I have and they give me the money back while they try to get it back from Hotel Coral Reef.

So please think twice about staying, or at the very least ask for printed confirmations and keep them with you until you receive your credit card statement.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
7  Thank W-Flemish-Traveler
hotelcoralreef1, General Manager at Hotel Coral Reef, responded to this reviewResponded 29 August 2013

Aloha,

I would like to thank you for presenting your concerns and apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused. We have conducted a complete investigation into your situation and have communicated with your financial institution to clear any misunderstandings they may have had in the processing of your amounts due. If you choose to stay with us in the future we welcome suggestions from our guest as we strive to provide you with an experience full of aloha. Mahalo and have a blessed day

Reviewed 22 August 2013

I found this hotel on Tripadvisor, it was rated #4 for hotels in Kapaa. We had a wonderful time. Everybody is so friendly, made us feel comfortable and at home. And it is right on the coast, walk out the door and you are there. We went to sleep listening to the ocean. The only thing that would be better would be some better bikes to rent. With the great 8 mile trail that follows the ocean, the bikes that they have are small for taller people. And if you go, be sure to say hello to George. Most friendly groundskeeper.

Room Tip: We had a king ocean front room, 2nd floor. But 1st or 2nd floor have advantages.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 August 2013 via mobile

We stayed at a resort prior to staying here. If you expect a resort then stay somewhere else but expect to pay 3 times as much. The rooms are very nicely decorated with cool ceiling fans and the lanai/view of the ocean was great! The area is nice but also not like a resort town however there are some cool shops and nice restaurants. We recommend renting their bikes and riding north, the view is spectacular and there are multiple secluded beaches along the trail. Kanoe, the onsite manager was exceptional, super friendly and looked like the image on Hawaiian airlines. We visited the entire island and the only other place we would stay is in Hanalei Bay. For the price and the great ocean view you can't beat this hotel. The only drawback was the tub/shower was extremely high and deep. If you are short or older it may present a problem. We would definitively stay here again!

• Stayed: August 2013
3  Thank David S
Reviewed 16 August 2013

We stayed here as part of our island hoping honeymoon, after the hustle and bustle of Waikiki it was nice to chill out a little bit.
The rooms are clean and the ocean view room was amazing.
The breakfast did run out so you need to be there early.
Chickens running around was cute.
Owners are nice and chatty and will help with anything.
Very reasonable price too.

Room Tip: Ask for an ocean view.
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Leah C
Reviewed 15 July 2013

The rooms have been nicely remodeled and are very cozy. The location, right next to the beach, was perfect. However, we did not like the way the staff treated us. It seems like once you book your room, they become fairly aloof and unhelpful, especially if you have any issues with the booking.

When we booked our reservations, we were offered a discount price of $159 per night and we also requested a late departure (5 PM) because of our late flight back home. When we arrived, they noted the late departure time and assured us everything would be okay.

On the morning of our departure (11:30 Am or so), we loaded most of our belongings into the car and ran a few errands in preparation for our departure later that evening. We returned to our room around 3 PM to discover that our room had been cleaned out. We later found the the items we had left in the room stashed behind the front desk, with the receptionist claiming that there was no record of our late departure request. This was the very same receptionist who had noted our late departure three days earlier. The items we had stored in our refrigerator were missing, and the staff, very matter-of-factly, told us that the person who cleaned the room had gone home for the day and couldn't be reached. After I pressed them further, another staff member did some digging on is computer and acknowledged that the early checkout was noted in their system, but claimed it had not been communicated to the front desk. I knew this was not true because the receptionist mentioned the late departure on the day we checked in.

Next, upon receiving our bill. we discovered that they had charged us the standard rate of $189 per night, not the $159 special rated they had offered us, although they did remove the extra charge for late checkout. When I mentioned this, they claimed that they had no record of the special rate. After some contentious discussion, they agreed to issue a refund for the difference and gave me a receipt. When I checked my credit card history a week later, there was no record of the refund. I am still working this issue.

Through both of these issues. the staff was conspicuously unapologetic. We were never offered and compensation for our missing items and blew off our request for compensation as frivolous. I will not stay there again.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
7  Thank MGCAUSTIN
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kapaa
Kauai Beach Resort
Aston Islander on the Beach
Garden Island Inn Hotel
Westin Princeville Ocean Resort Villas
Plantation Hale Suites

Been to Hotel Coral Reef? Share your experiences!