“Affordable, Small Hotel Feel--Right on the Beach!”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel Coral Reef

Hotel Coral Reef
Ranked #7 of 11 Hotels in Kapaa
Blue Bell, Pennsylvania
“Affordable, Small Hotel Feel--Right on the Beach!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 June 2010

We stayed here for four nights in May. The staff was extremely friendly and knowledgeable about area sites and hikes. Staying in the town of Kapa'a is a great choice. You are relatively close to the north and south shores and the airport too. (The west side/canyon is a bit of a hike). Kauai is more remote than other islands and we were pleased to find that we were in a small little town--quaint with a TON of great dining options, all in walking distance.
Something else wonderful about the location…you are right on the beach! We had a lovely view of the water and the hotel pool right from our balcony.
The room was tidy and had some nice upgrades, although it lacked others. It felt a bit outdated in places, but it has a family-run feeling to it. Don't expect a five-star resort. But if you are looking for a place on the beach on the coconut coast, this is a great value. (As part of a deal on their site, we got one night free, which helped.)
Visit the local coffee shop across the road, and Kountry Kitchen for enormous portions of delicious breakfast fare.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (101)
Shelton, WA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 May 2010

First, for anyone contemplating a trip to Kaui, do it! Kaui is a beautiful island and only 10% of the island has been developed, and less than 60,000 full time residences reside on Kaui.

The Coral Reef Hotel has sparked me to write my second review on Trip Advisor. review.

The Coral Reef Hotel is a hidden gem. Located on the east shore of Kaui, this small hotel is perfectly located. There are 18 ocean front rooms total, so if you are looking for a quaint hotel that has been recently remodeled, CLEAN, a clean swimming pool, sauna, its own beauty salon, and just steps from the ocean and Lydgate bike trail, look no further. It does not get any better than the Coral Reef Hotel. You will pass LARGE resorts on the way to Kapaa where The Coral Reef Hotel is located, but the only advantage some of these resorts will have on the Coral Reef Hotel is space, because some of these resorts are condos. If you don’t mind a smaller room, bypass these resorts.

I’ll be honest, my first contact with George and Rhonda didn’t go well. I tried to book a room for three nights, 4/30-5/3, and despite giving them my CC information, I never heard back from them, so I booked a condo in Poipu. When my husband and I arrived in Honolulu, we called the people that we thought that we would be staying with, and they assumed that we were staying in a hotel. I swear, I’ll never let my husband handle anything again! Anyway, I only had 15 minutes to find a place, so I got on my Blackberry, looked up this hotel and called. George answered the phone. I asked if they had a room available for 5 nights starting that day and he said yes. When I gave him my last name, he said, “Stout, hmmm, I talked to a Stout!” Yes, I replied, but you never got back to me. George gave us a great rate on our room, so a huge THANK YOU! My advice to anyone interested in this hotel is being persistent. This is a small hotel and booking a room will be worth the extra effort if needed.

Our stay at the Coral Reef was just fantastic. The view is to die for. We walked out every morning with our coffee, looked to the right, and waited for the sun to rise. Breathtaking! The resident roosters woke us up every morning and they visited with us every day. Even Rhonda and George’s cat visited us.

The food in Kapaa is fantastic. We didn't have one bad meal. The poke at Foodland was some of the best poke we ever ate.

It was hard saying goodbye to this lovely hotel and George and Rhonda. I hope they never forget my husband and me because we will never forget them. Yes, we will be staying at The Coral Reef Hotel during our next visit to Kaui.

Mahalo, Rhonda and George. Until we meet again, much Aloha!

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank DebbieStout
Chicago, Illinois
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2010

Staff was very friendly. We weren't allowed early check in per policy. Hauled luggage up multi level stairs & dark walkway to room 1203 just feet from the busy road. This room was not the ones pictures on line. The musty moldy smell was strong. There was stained carpet, sheets & curtains, mold on the air conditioner, tile, tub calk & stopper. Shower head was corroded, tub was stained as was the toilet with chipped tank lid. Furniture was very worn, the finish had been rubbed off end tables. We wrote the owner, no response yet. The room needs to be gutted, overhauled, mega cleaned, redecorated, & more sound proofing from traffic noise. Glad we only spent one gross night there & didn't get an early check in.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
3 Thank plumeriasail
Honolulu
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 March 2010

During our 2 night stay here, our 2nd story room closest to the road had lots of street noise (despite being a small town, the road remains loud all night). Our requests for a different room were all turned down even though there were only 2 other rooms taken and thus LOTS of vacancies. They kept trying to get us to upgrade to a ocean view. They advertise a spa, but really they mean SAUNA. The workers on night #1 didn't know how to turn it on so they didn't even unlock it and let us in. Pool was great.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank HawaiianAdventurer1
hawaii
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 March 2010

THANK YOU Rhonda and staff for our great vacation. The room is exactly the way we saw it on the website and it is quite and relaxing. We needed that. See you soon.
Mahalo!
The Webbs in Arkansas

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
Palo Alto, CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 March 2010

Everything about the Coral Reef Hotel was surprisingly good. First, the rooms were four-star elegant, recently renovated, and beautifully styled. Our double-queen room had two fabulously cozy bed, *two* sinks, a jacuzzi tub, leaf-style ceiling fan and french doors that opened to palm trees and ocean!! Plus a *gorgeous* lagoon-style pool with waterfall facing the ocean! Second, the people at the Coral Reef treated us like old friends returning for a visit, though we had never been there before! There was coconut-flavored coffee in the lobby every morning (the fragrance alone was worth it!), and bike rentals right there at the hotel! The staff shared fantastic local recommendations with us, and warmly took care of our every need. I can't say enough wonderful things about the Coral Reef. We genuinely loved it, and feel very lucky that it was where we chose to stay. I'd go back in a heart beat!

• Stayed February 2010, travelled with friends
1 Thank Jetpack22
San Francisco Bay Area
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 March 2010

You'll love the location - near the town, but just a few blocks away so it's quiet. It is just a few steps from the beach. The rooms have been updated with a lot of effort going into the project. The rooms are very attractive and a good size. Sliding doors open so you can let in the fresh sea breezes. (We've all been in hotels where the windows and sliding doors are sealed shut.) The room had a private patio, complete with chairs. The towels are worthy of a five-star hotel and the bed is comfortable (a big deal for us). Rhonda is an asset and can give you all kinds of advice about Kauai. Nice touch that the front desk is open until 9:00 p.m. The parking is free as is the wi-fi, though you do have to access it in the lobby where a very comfortable sofa is available. The "breakfast" is quite sparse so don't count on it for much. It is the only downside to an otherwise good choice for Kauai. We would definitely return.

Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank TomasSF
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kapaa
Aston Islander on the Beach
Garden Island Inn
#1 of 11 in Lihue
Koloa Landing Resort
Plantation Hale Suites

Been to Hotel Coral Reef? Share your experiences!