“Excellent sunrises and ocean view”
Review of Hotel Coral Reef

Hotel Coral Reef
Ranked #3 of 11 Hotels in Kapaa
Carthage
“Excellent sunrises and ocean view”
Reviewed 2 July 2010

We just returned from eight days on Kauai. We stayed the first 3 nights at Coral Reef Resort "Hotel on the Beach" in Kapaa, on the east side of the island. Our ocean front room was clean and comfortable. The trade winds were brisk, and the sunrises were mostly obscured by clouds, yet, glorious, and could be enjoyed from our bed! We walked every morning on the concrete/paved costal walkway, which was easily accessible steps from our room. There were people riding bikes, jogging, on roller blades or skateboards, with strollers or walking. The views were awesome along the walkway, and several state park-type restrooms along the way. Bike rental was nearby the hotel. We had fresh fruit after our walk in the lobby. No, it's not a buffet and we weren't expecting one, but, we enjoyed a slices of fresh papaya, pineapple or banana before our "real" breakfast, across the street at Kountry Kitchen, where there was delicious banana pancakes! A few shops were within walking distance of the hotel, an ABC store specifically, Ono Family Restaurant, Mermaids (the original site of the first Bubba Burgers), Bubba Burgers, a few coffee shops. Making Coral Reef Resort our home base for the first part of our trip was very wise, it turned out. We toured Wailua Rivery valley, Fern Grotto, two waterfalls, and the north side of the island, returning at night to a comfortable bed and always taking a jacuzzi bath at the end of the day. The hotel-provided bath wash smelled grand! I think we were in #1303, second level in building to right of lobby building. The rooms had been remodeled and were very nice at the time of our visit. We used Kealia Beach for our swim beach. The beach outside the hotel was for walking along and enjoying the sounds of the surf. The last 5 nights of our trip were at Poipu Beach, where we stayed at the Sheraton Resort.

1 Thank Donna D

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (110)
Charleston, South Carolina
Reviewed 30 June 2010

we loved everything about this hotel: the room was big and clean and very well equipped, we had one of the oceanfront view bedroom and we truly enjoyed it
the hotel is on the east coast which is very convenient to go to the north or the south shore, not too far and easy to go,

they did not do any cleaning service on our last day tough...we were out of the room from 9AM to 1.30PM and on our way back, the room hasnt been cleaned... we stayed the afternoon at the hotel and nobody showed up... a bit annoying I think, also as it was our 4th day here I would have liked another bottle of shampoo and because they did not clean the bedroom they did not bring a new one, I would have appreciated that they left an extra bottle previously...well detail maybe because overall we loved the place and our room

they also had a couple of things for breakfast in the lobby but nothing really impressive and not too much of it...so we anyway ended to another place for a 'real" breakfast most of the time

the pool was clean and very quiet
the beach in front of the hotel is not the best swimming beach but there are plenty of other beaches close by in Kauai

Medford Ok
Reviewed 14 June 2010

Just wanted to let other travelers know we stayed here from May 31 thru June 5th, 2010 and our room was exactly lilke the pictures on the website. We stayed in the deluxe king ocean front and it was amazing! Great bed, nice size room, fridge and microwave, large bathroom. And the air conditioing was very cold which was nice! The owners were nice people and helpful when asked questions. We were greeted with leis our daughters had arranged for us for our 25th anniversary and also a cake in our room that the owners had gotten for our daughters. We were given a bottle of apple cider from the owners and it was just awesome! I'd go back there in a heartbeat!

1 Thank redheadMedfordOk
Blue Bell, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 7 June 2010

We stayed here for four nights in May. The staff was extremely friendly and knowledgeable about area sites and hikes. Staying in the town of Kapa'a is a great choice. You are relatively close to the north and south shores and the airport too. (The west side/canyon is a bit of a hike). Kauai is more remote than other islands and we were pleased to find that we were in a small little town--quaint with a TON of great dining options, all in walking distance.
Something else wonderful about the location…you are right on the beach! We had a lovely view of the water and the hotel pool right from our balcony.
The room was tidy and had some nice upgrades, although it lacked others. It felt a bit outdated in places, but it has a family-run feeling to it. Don't expect a five-star resort. But if you are looking for a place on the beach on the coconut coast, this is a great value. (As part of a deal on their site, we got one night free, which helped.)
Visit the local coffee shop across the road, and Kountry Kitchen for enormous portions of delicious breakfast fare.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
Shelton, WA
Reviewed 17 May 2010

First, for anyone contemplating a trip to Kaui, do it! Kaui is a beautiful island and only 10% of the island has been developed, and less than 60,000 full time residences reside on Kaui.

The Coral Reef Hotel has sparked me to write my second review on Trip Advisor. review.

The Coral Reef Hotel is a hidden gem. Located on the east shore of Kaui, this small hotel is perfectly located. There are 18 ocean front rooms total, so if you are looking for a quaint hotel that has been recently remodeled, CLEAN, a clean swimming pool, sauna, its own beauty salon, and just steps from the ocean and Lydgate bike trail, look no further. It does not get any better than the Coral Reef Hotel. You will pass LARGE resorts on the way to Kapaa where The Coral Reef Hotel is located, but the only advantage some of these resorts will have on the Coral Reef Hotel is space, because some of these resorts are condos. If you don’t mind a smaller room, bypass these resorts.

I’ll be honest, my first contact with George and Rhonda didn’t go well. I tried to book a room for three nights, 4/30-5/3, and despite giving them my CC information, I never heard back from them, so I booked a condo in Poipu. When my husband and I arrived in Honolulu, we called the people that we thought that we would be staying with, and they assumed that we were staying in a hotel. I swear, I’ll never let my husband handle anything again! Anyway, I only had 15 minutes to find a place, so I got on my Blackberry, looked up this hotel and called. George answered the phone. I asked if they had a room available for 5 nights starting that day and he said yes. When I gave him my last name, he said, “Stout, hmmm, I talked to a Stout!” Yes, I replied, but you never got back to me. George gave us a great rate on our room, so a huge THANK YOU! My advice to anyone interested in this hotel is being persistent. This is a small hotel and booking a room will be worth the extra effort if needed.

Our stay at the Coral Reef was just fantastic. The view is to die for. We walked out every morning with our coffee, looked to the right, and waited for the sun to rise. Breathtaking! The resident roosters woke us up every morning and they visited with us every day. Even Rhonda and George’s cat visited us.

The food in Kapaa is fantastic. We didn't have one bad meal. The poke at Foodland was some of the best poke we ever ate.

It was hard saying goodbye to this lovely hotel and George and Rhonda. I hope they never forget my husband and me because we will never forget them. Yes, we will be staying at The Coral Reef Hotel during our next visit to Kaui.

Mahalo, Rhonda and George. Until we meet again, much Aloha!

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank DebbieStout
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 21 April 2010

Staff was very friendly. We weren't allowed early check in per policy. Hauled luggage up multi level stairs & dark walkway to room 1203 just feet from the busy road. This room was not the ones pictures on line. The musty moldy smell was strong. There was stained carpet, sheets & curtains, mold on the air conditioner, tile, tub calk & stopper. Shower head was corroded, tub was stained as was the toilet with chipped tank lid. Furniture was very worn, the finish had been rubbed off end tables. We wrote the owner, no response yet. The room needs to be gutted, overhauled, mega cleaned, redecorated, & more sound proofing from traffic noise. Glad we only spent one gross night there & didn't get an early check in.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
3 Thank plumeriasail
Honolulu
Reviewed 28 March 2010

During our 2 night stay here, our 2nd story room closest to the road had lots of street noise (despite being a small town, the road remains loud all night). Our requests for a different room were all turned down even though there were only 2 other rooms taken and thus LOTS of vacancies. They kept trying to get us to upgrade to a ocean view. They advertise a spa, but really they mean SAUNA. The workers on night #1 didn't know how to turn it on so they didn't even unlock it and let us in. Pool was great.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank HawaiianAdventurer1
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kapaa
Kauai Beach Resort
Garden Island Inn
#1 of 11 in Lihue
Koloa Landing Resort
Courtyard Kaua'i at Coconut Beach

Been to Hotel Coral Reef? Share your experiences!