Aston Islander on the Beach
US$328
Courtyard
  • Beachfront
US$354
Plantation Hale Suites(Kapaa)(Great Value!)
US$256
TripAdvisor
  • Pool
  • Pool
1,799 results
All reviewscoconut marketplaceocean frontsand barfree dvd rentalsparking lotoceanfront roomfridge and microwavetrees loungethird floorsmall kitchenetteoverflow parkinggeneral storepartial ocean viewevery morningcoffee makerhot tubhotel grounds
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 6 March 2014

We spent 4 nights in this hotel. Although we were mainly traveling and used the hotel only for sleepover we can for sure recommend it. Only small issue in the hotel is parking. There is insufficient count of parking lots in front of the hotel. If you are late, you have to park in front of market place, which is a little bit further.
Nice beach, clean rooms, well equiped kitchen (including microwave).

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank FruhMi
Reviewed 3 March 2014

We stayed at the Islander on the Beach from February 21-27. This resort was not my favorite and I’m usually pretty easy to please. Let me give some pros and cons:

Pros
- The room itself (an ocean front) was nice, clean with a comfortable bed, large bathroom and nice lanai.
- There was a kitchenette area with refrigerator, microwave and dishes/silverware.
- Nice pool bar area where we had drinks a couple of nights.
- The resort was centrally located on the island no matter where you wanted to go.
- We used the Concierge service, she was very helpful in booking a helicopter tour for us.

Cons
- The room was a third floor walk up. No elevators. You’ll want to be aware of this if you are disabled or have a medical condition. Also, we had 3 suitcases of 40+ pounds each; glad we only had to lug them up the stairs once!
- Parking is a problem. There are definitely not enough parking spaces for the number of rooms that they have. There is an overflow lot, but you have to go out and move your car by 10 a.m. The only good thing to say is that they don’t charge a daily parking fee. I think I would have protested that if I couldn’t even park in the lot.
- Then there’s the mandatory daily “amenity fee” of $15 for use of wi-fi, etc (we didn’t need wi-fi or the other services provided). While this seems to be a trend with hotels these days to make their rates look lower (much like airline baggage fees), I don’t like paying for services that I don’t use. Yes, I knew about the charge before checking in, but that doesn’t make it right. Either raise the room price slightly so everyone knows the actual price of the room and then offer “free wi-fi” or make it an optional charge. After all, how much does it really cost to provide a wireless signal?
- The beach is less than pristine. While the resort certainly can’t be responsible for Mother Nature, just be aware that there is a lot of debris on the beach and in the water (rocks, sticks, coconut husks, etc). Not a great beach for playing/swimming. Of all the other beaches we visited, this one was below average.

So all in all, wasn’t the most enjoyable place I’ve ever stayed, but it wasn’t so awful that I was demanding my money back. However, if we were to visit Kauai again, I think I would explore other options before booking here.

Room Tip: No elevators - so if you have a problem going upstairs be sure to request a ground floor room.
6  Thank Angie49
Reviewed 2 March 2014

We stayed on the third floor and paid for an " ocean front" room. The room upgrade was my wife's idea and she says it was worth it because she could hear the ocean, but we had to look at an angle from our balcony to see much of it. No elevators and we had big bags because of airline restrictions. No bell captain that I could see, so we lugged the bags ourselves. We did arrive late. Staff was helpful and professional, but we didn't need to interact much except for parking permits.

The construction appears to be 1970's era with concrete block walls and plywood & batten siding at the gables, rough sawn trim and stairwells. Well maintained and clean. Kitchenette had a sink, mini-fridge and microwave, cupboards were well stocked with crockery, implements, church key, flatware, and glassware.

In addition to taxes, there is an "amenity fee," for things like w-ifi and parking. It was disclosed upfront, but not charged in our prepaid reservation, so we had to settle up when we left. The parking lot filled up fast, so we ended up parking in the shopping center next door with a permit that expired at 10:00 am. Lots of walking to move the car.

No food service. In room coffee maker comes with enough good Kona coffee to make 4 cups a day. Powdered creamer, so the first stop was the Safeway just up the road for some half & half. The fresh fish place in the strip mall adjacent to the parking lot is friendly and casual. Despite the seafood emphasis, I had a beef filet from New Zealand which was very well prepared and tasty. The bar in the same strip mall may be the reason for the parking shortage - we didn't go there.

All in all, a pleasant place to stay. It was a little pricey, but everything on Kauai is, and compared to the places up the road in Hanalei, it was a real bargain.

Room Tip: Not sure I'd pay for ocean front again.
2  Thank David_Jones2014
Reviewed 1 March 2014

We stayed on the second floor. No elevators. Entering the room we found that the bathroom was dirty and the garbage from the previous people had not been emptied. When I called the front desk to notify them of this I was told that housekeeping had gone home already for the day. The man working at the front desk did come and empty the garbage and he did clean the bathroom. The next problem was the ants. They were crawling all over the sink and around the microwave...disgusting!! Apparently they do have a spray they use on them, but again housekeeping was gone for the day so couldn't provide us with any. The first morning we went to pour cereal into the bowl and the box of cereal was full of ants!!!!!

The closet/ cabinet with the safe and ironing board was disgusting...we couldn't put any of our suitcases or clothes in there as is stunk like urine!!! Therefore all our suitcases had to sit on the floor, and the small table which left no room at all to even move in the room! Not a pleasant experience....we will next go back there.

Parking is also an issue as others have mentioned

A complimentary room cleaning was offered at check in. We were able to choose the day we wished to have housekeeping come and clean our room. When we got back to our room that night it hadn't been done. When I called the front desk to notify them of this they told me nothing could be done about it as housekeeping had now gone for the day.

I think enough has been said as to why we would never stay here again with our family of 4

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
6  Thank cindy m
Kaniela N, General Manager at Aston Islander on the Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 4 March 2014

Aloha...

Thank you so much for sharing your experience while staying at the Aston Islander on the Beach. I apologize for the inconvenience that you experienced while staying with us. I did speak with my Housekeeping Manager regarding your experience and we will be working on our communication processes between the Front Desk and Housekeeping departments in an attempt to eliminate any future issue similar to what you experienced. Additionally, I have spoken to my Guest Service Manager regarding the response you received from the Front Desk. Please accept my apology for the lack of response and failure by my staff to extend requested services. Please keep the Aston Islander on the Beach as a potential destination if you should decide to return to Kauai. It is my intention to correct these issues and I would love the opportunity to show you "first hand" of these changes...

Mahalo,

Kaniela Neves
Aston Islander on the Beach

Reviewed 1 March 2014

This was our 4th stay over the last 5 years (went to the Big Island last year). This is a very quiet and relaxing resort with very friendly staff and house keepers. The rooms are adequate and have small fridge, sink, microwave, dishes and silverware. The lanai's are very roomy with a table and two chairs. There is a coin operated laundry facility on site (much cheaper than going to an offsite location). A good size pool, jacuzzi and pool bar. Nice sandy beach also.
The only negative is the lack of parking spaces. They will provide a card pass to park in the Coconut Grove Shopping area, but it is still a hassle.

Room Tip: Pay the little extra for an Oceanside room. Room 232 is an excellent choice.
1  Thank jelemans