We stayed at the Islander at end of June and really enjoyed our stay. I like the low-key atmosphere. Over all, this is a great resort – a bit dated, but that did not impact our enjoyment. The location is fantastic, the staff members are great, and the beach and pool are lovely.The concierge was very friendly and helpful and not very busy, so she spent as much time with us as we needed. I don’t know if I’ve ever seen such happy staff who seem to enjoy their jobs.
Our unit was on the second floor and our deck (lanai) faced the ocean. We had breakfast every morning watching the morning light on the waves. We could see dramatic weather fronts roll in, shower us briefly, and move on, sometimes leaving a rainbow behind. The rooms are standard hotel room size (not a condo), the partial kitchen was good for preparing daily breakfast. We used one of the shared bbqs out by the pool to cook supper one evening, grill tools were available to borrow from the front desk.
The beach is gorgeous with chairs in the sand for watching the waves. Swimming is not recommended but the pool is nice and clean or it is only a ten minute drive to Lydgate Beach, perfect for families.
Across the parking lot are two good places to eat - the Trees pub had great ribs (but is definitely a pub atmosphere, not be good for little kids) and the fish takeout place has delicious wraps with ahi or ono. We splashed out one night for a wonderful supper at the Hukilau Lanai, in the Kauai Coast Resort next store, delicious and well served.
The nearby Coconut Market Place has a well-stocked general store (including alcohol,juice and milk) and several shops.The market is a bit sad due to many empty shops. Even so, I found good souvenirs in the shops that are open. For food, there is a take-out place, a café and an ice cream place (highly recommended).
Grocery stores are a short drive into town and by day three, we realized we could walk along the path by the ocean and get to the stores in 20 minutes on foot.
Yes, there was construction noise but it did not bother us and we knew beforehand, because we read the reviews on TripAdvisor. Our unit faced the ocean (well worth the extra we paid for it) and the sound of the waves was all we could hear when in our room. The noise was in the inner courtyard during the day.
One minor annoyance is the $18 per day surcharge, and although we were forewarned about a charge, I don't recall if I knew the amount. I would prefer that it was included in the room fee up front rather than adding it on. Not a show stopper.
We loved Kauai and really enjoyed Islander on the Beach. The central location (and our rental car) allowed us to explore all coasts of the island. We would definitely stay there again and we would again pay for the ocean front suite.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Situated on a stunning oceanfront location, Aston Islander on the Beach offers true island hospitality with warm service and convenient amenities. Contemporary tropical-inspired guest rooms include air-conditioning and private balconies. Sitting on six acres of beautifully landscaped grounds, Aston Islander on the Beach features a sparkling pool with a poolside bar, lush gardens for strolling, and a beautiful beachfront location - popular for viewing Hawaiian monk seals. Enjoy the convenience of the adjacent Coconut Marketplace's 60 boutiques and restaurants. It's impressive oceanfront and plantation-style charm make this relaxing resort the most enticing retreat on Kauai. Please note: The hotel collects a daily amenity fee which includes DVD movies and Playstation 3 game rentals, Airport Shuttle service (must call hotel direct at least 24-72 hours in advance to make arrangements), a refreshing welcome drink per guest, daily newspaper, daily coffee and tea, in-room safe, WiFi internet, and local & toll-free calls. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly and Cancelon so you can book your Aston Islander on the Beach reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Aston Islander On The Beach Hotel Kapaa
- Aston Hotel Kapaa
- Best Western Kapaa
- Resortquest Islander Beach Kauai
- Islander Beach Kauai
- Aston Islander On The Beach Kauai, Hawaii - Kapaa