“Fantastic stay at a fantastic hostel!”

Honu'ea International Hostel Kauai
Ranked #8 of 15 Speciality Lodging in Kapaa
GreenLeadersSilver level
Toronto, Canada
“Fantastic stay at a fantastic hostel!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2012

I stayed at this hostel 11 and 12 years ago and only have fond memories of the facilities and people I met there. When I got the opportunity to return to Kauai for a few weeks I naturally booked my stay at this hostel again. I was pleasantly surprised to see that not a whole lot has changed. The lawns are nicely manicured and kept clean. There is a small garden behind the main house. The dorms have bunk-beds and you are provided with fresh linen upon arrival. The managers of the hostel, Bill and Autumn, are warm, hospitable, informative, friendly, organized, and kind. I understand that the hostel went through a very negative time with regards to cleanliness, service and reliability during the last Manager's tenure. This is quite unfortunate as it is a stark contrast to the amazing spirit of the island and the people that live there. Since Bill and Autumn have arrived they have worked very hard to bring back the "aloha" to this hostel. So far, they have redocorated and painted the private rooms and the dorm rooms are next. They had fresh coffee every morning and the facilities were clean and comfortable. I would stay here again in a second and would highly recommend it to any friends spending time on the island. Thanks for the good memories once again!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Schenectady
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2012

I recently spent 5 weeks exploring the four main islands of Hawaii. I am a solo retired senior traveler. To afford thIs dream vacation, I stayed in hostels on all four islands. I always booked a private room for 7 or 8 nights. The rate of approximately $70 per night beats any hotel offering. This International hostel in Kapaa is an excellent place to stay. The private room ( there are two available) in the main house had a King bed with a comfy mattress and pink sheets. The new managers have upgraded and refurbished this hostel after many years of non-improvements. The husband of the managing couple is always busy looking for more ways to improve things. The separate bunk-style quarters were being upgraded during my stay in late April. The wife manages the bookings. Both were very helpful in suggestions for places to go, to eat, to shop,etc. The best advice I got was from the husband. He got me started on coconut water. It is a god-send in paradise where you are always drinking regular water to keep hydrated. The coconut water restores your electrolytes so an old geezer like myself doesn't pass out. The kitchen in the house is available from 8am to 10 pm. There are three fridges, and cubbies for storing your cereals,etc. The house is locked from 10pm to 8 am but staying in the private room gave me 24 access. Kitchen cleaning rules and quiet time after 10 pm are enforced. There is parking on site and I do RECOMMEND a car as the bus service was not that convenient. The hostel is close to the airport and easy to find. I got a library card and felt this a great resource. The libraries are air conditioned and provide free Internet access. There are so many public beaches with rest rooms and showers, a hotel is not really necessary. The only Down-Side for me was the lack of air conditioning in my room and when the trade winds stopped blowing for a few days, it was a little tough to sleep.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled solo
4 Thank jjkuzma1
Hamburg, Germany
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2012 via mobile

Back to this hostel after 17 years. Really tidy place with super hosts an great rules in place. Will definitely come back. Mahalo.

• Stayed July 2012
Colorado, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 June 2012

This place is amazing. I always felt welcome and enjoyed the company of all of the staff and travelers. Autumn and Bill really make this place feel like a true home away from home. Several nights we had get togethers, bonfires, even a salsa dancing night. I am sure, like everything in life it is what you make of it energetically but the staff really makes it feel comfortable and easy going.
This is perhaps one of the cleanest hostels I have been to....stayed in couple in Greece, Fiji, Amsterdam, and US. You do have to remember it is an island and you are in tropical weather so an occasional ant and cockroach is normal. The beds are comfy, the place is clean and the vibe is easy going and cheerful...felt like true family! =) . I would HIGHLY recommend it!

• Stayed January 2012, travelled solo
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 May 2012

I stayed here for a night, after 5 days on the Kalalau trail, when I discovered that the nearest laundromat was all the way back in Kapaa (wtf!).

The management changed recently, which is why they changed their name from "Kauai International Hostel". Bill and Autumn were friendly hosts. They have opened up their home to the world.

Facilities were great. Fast wifi, lots of fridge space, tables, chairs. You can cook your own food in the kitchen, or there are tons of good restaurants and delis nearby if you want to keep it simple with takeaway. For local Hawaiian food, I highly recommend Pono Market, walking distance. For Thai food, Mema Thai, 2 miles south on the mauka (mountain) side of the highway.

Social space was great. When I was there, everyone gathered at the huge picnic table on the lanai for dinner & conversation, then moved to the smaller tables & comfy chairs on the lawn later in the evening.

I was lucky that one of the dorms was empty, so I had an entire dorm & bathroom to myself. The dorm I stayed in, many of the beds had super-comfy memory-foam mattresses. Ahhh.
The floor and shower could have been a bit cleaner, but for $29 on Kauai, seriously, you can't complain. Wear slippas/sandals in the shower and/or clean it yourself if you don't like it. Cleaning products were available.

They have a couple of small kayaks available if you want to paddle up the Wailua to the "Secret Waterfall". I left my kayak & paddle with them when I left the island.

All in all, an excellent & friendly hostel experience, at one of the lowest prices you will find on Kauai.

On a side note, unrelated to the hostel: If you use the laundromat down the street near the Ace Hardware, watch your stuff!! I went out to the car to rearrange some gear, and when I came back, the aluminum stays I'd removed from my backpack to wash it had disappeared. I'd've been very unhappy if I hadn't already done my Kalalau trip.

Stayed April 2012, travelled solo
Amiens, Picardie, France
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 April 2012

This hostel is a good choice, the team is very welcoming and warm.
After Beach House, this hostel is much better!
The rooms are comfortable, clean and this hotel was Ideally located on the island, close to downtown!
dorms and beds nice, even if it is old
beautiful garden and yards
free wifi
I highly recommend it!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Edouard T
Haiku, Hawaii
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 April 2012

This a hostel, not a hotel. You will have access to use the entire kitchen and supplies. You can store food in 3 fridges and dry food in cubbies. There is a ping pong table, lots of outdoor seating and a fire pit. Staff is really nice and hospitable. Bus stop, eateries, and shopping are all within walking distance. Owners have sports equipment to borrow or rent (kayak, surfboards, etc). Strict policy for no guests allowed on property if they are not staying at the hostel...and I saw this enforced once when a guest tried to bring his "Mom" onto the property! As a single female, I felt really safe there. I would definitely go back, but try to save enough money to stay in the more private rooms.

Room Tip: Begin your stay on a weekday, as there were many beds to choose from. The weekend seemed to fill up...