“nice private room”

Honu'ea International Hostel Kauai
Ranked #7 of 15 Speciality Lodging in Kapaa
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 22 February 2013

We stayed in private room with shared bathroom, everything was pretty clean, kitchen is large and was also clean. I liked the style and the equipment, mainly outside the terrace and the garden looks fine and relaxing. Front office was welcoming and explained well all the rules of the house. We stayed just one night but can imagine to stay longer. There is a lovely "city center" nearby with bars and shops.

Room Tip: Opt for private room, it is in the main building with kitchen
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Honu'ea International Hostel Kauai

Reviewed 29 January 2013

We stayed here for 6 nights in January.
Pros:
+ kitchen is big and on the clean side
+ beds were comfortable
+ beautiful garden with lots of chairs/sofas/etc

Cons:
- kitchen opens at 8 am. This is really annoying for several reasons. Obviously you can't have breakfast and leave before 8. Also, as a consequence, everyone is on the same schedule, gets up around 7:30 and wants to use the bathroom...
- 1 bathroom per 11 person dorm room, shower and toilette in the same room. This wouldn't be such a problem if it weren't for the last point. There were lines and long waiting times for the bathroom every morning.
- "airport shuttle" is advertised but does not exist. We didn't have a car and needed to get back to the airport for our flight at 9:30 am. When we asked about the shuttle service (that had been advertised in the confirmation email), the guy in charge basically laughed at us and told us that we "obviously couldn't expect anyone [of the staff] to get up just to bring us to the airport". I didn't think this was funny but super unfriendly and unprofessional.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with friends
6  Thank Lena F
Reviewed 20 January 2013

I stayed at this hostels during this past holiday for about 4 days. The new owners (especially Autumn) were not very welcoming and actually acted like she had to put up with having guests. Actually her behavoir towards me was very disrespectful (her son and current husband seem more respectful and nicer). I saw roaches and ants in the kitchen, the dorm, in a dorm mate's bed, in the house bathroom and in the bathroom in the middle. I could see if there were only big ones but there were big and little one meaning there has been an infestion for while! I also was biting by mosquitos every day while I was there and still have the scars to prove it. Across the street is a place called Bubba's Burger and it has a confederated flag on the wall along with another sign stating: "All Hippies use the back door". This was also very disturbing especially 2013. The placed a review on "yelp" and now it had disappeared! Please also be warned about the 3am or 330am trash trucks making loud noises and the roasters crowing around 5am in the morning. I stayed at various other hostels within Hawaii and this place is the worth by far! I hope this review does not also disappear like the other one. The only pros are there is a Farmer's Market on wednesdays at a baseball field, there is a Natural food store (Hoku)within a 3 miunte walk distance and park across the street. I even returned to the airport early. It rained the entire time I was there but I did meet someone with a car. The tours are fake and people are asked for a "donation of a minimum of $10 or $20" and they just use someone's car for transportation and not an established hostel operated van so if there is an accident you are on your own. And, people are rush also so it's not enjoyable

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled solo

2)$25 dorm bed
3)outdoor sitting area
4) very friendly staff

The Bad--
1) Roaches everywhere-- in the kitchen shelves (yes, even where the spoons and fork are kept), in the restroom and even on the bed.

2)kitchen area is locked from 10 pm to 8am. I dont mind the 10pm-- but if you wish to go hiking early in the morning, just plan on eating out and spending ($$$). Now, if you are staying in the private room, you could use the kitchen prior to 8am. Unfair discrimination.

3) dont count on the wi-fi. Very, very slow.

4) absolutely dirty dorms. makes u really want to stay elsewhere.

5)the sheets are clean-- but the mattress covers have dirt and dust. I'm sure the mattress covers were white at some point in their life-- not anymore.

6) no hand soap in the toilets in the dorms. Think about that-- do you remember to carry soap everytime you go to the toilet. You may carry the soap, but will your co-dorm mates do that? Especially when there are 8 people in the dorm! We did the math-- with an occupancy of 8 in the dorm, and $25 per person--its $200 a night for the owners.
What does toilet soap cost???

I have stayed in hostels all over.
By far, this one has the LOWEST sense of hygeine/cleanliness.

• Stayed: December 2012
11  Thank Hiking73
Reviewed 15 January 2013

I stayed here for 6 nights. They said the manager of the hostel changed and it gets better. I wonder how was it before like. It is very noisy and the bathroom is very dirty. Party every night until late hours. If you want to hike or travel and wake up early and go to bed early, forget about it. There is a rule that it should be quiet after 10 p.m. but nobody cares. The kitchen opens at 8 a.m. so if you want to leave before this time, you cannot prepare a breakfast. In the female dorm you share a bathroom and a toilet - both in one room - with 12 other women, so imagine how it looks like :-) Mattress and beds are very comfortable. Staff is very nice and friendly. If you are looking for a quiet place to rest in the evening, you better go somewhere else.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled solo
4  Thank VictoriaGermany
Reviewed 28 November 2012 via mobile

I stayed here for 6 nights during Thanksgiving when the hostel was at its busiest. It was clean, friendly, safe, relaxing and - most importantly - comfortable. The new owners Autumn & Bill (a really cool husband & wife team) have even put in memory foam mattresses in the dorm rooms to ensure everyone gets a good night's sleep - I was very impressed by that pleasant surprise! They also provide free coffee and you can borrow snorkling gear too, which is great!

The new owners have tried really hard to shake off the bad reputation caused by the previous owner by painting the place & keeping it clean of dirt, sand & bugs (not easy in rural Hawaii!). And it has paid off - this is definitely one of the best hostels I have stayed in (and I have been travelling for 7 months so far!), thanks to its lovely location (one block from the sandy beach - you can see the sunrise from the dorm rooms!), how it's managed and, of course, the people.

The best part about my stay was when Autumn & Bill put on a massive (and free!) Thanksgiving feast for all the hostellers - with Autumn getting started at 6am to cook one turkey at 1pm & a second at 3pm for later arrivals! I have never known such kindness from a hostel, so Honu'ea really is a home away from home for me! I have absolutely no doubt that I will be back there next time I'm in Hawaii! Mahalo & Aloha! :)

• Stayed: November 2012
1  Thank travellerlaura
Reviewed 28 November 2012 via mobile

This hostel is now called the Honu'ea (Hawaiian for "hawksbill turtle") International Hostel! The previous owner is responsible for all these low reviews under the old name - so please take a look at the separate reviews for "Honu'ea International Hostel" on tripadvisor for a more accurate review of the current owners & their management of the hostel (which is 100 excellent/very good rated, by the way!)

I stayed here for 6 nights during thanksgiving when the hostel was at its busiest. It was clean, friendly, safe, relaxing and - most importantly - comfortable. The new owners Autumn & Bill (a really cool husband & wife team) have even put in memory foam mattresses in the dorm rooms to ensure everyone gets a good night's sleep - I was very impressed by that pleasant surprise!

The kitchen is actually open from 8am-9pm (not 9am as the reviewer below says... it's because "quiet time" is from 10pm-8am) but they are flexible in the evening (ie - I've been able to grab a quick snack at 9:15pm - I think the 9pm limit is to prevent people from starting to cook at 9pm). The door definitely closes at 10pm for quiet time though. The 8am opening time is not a problem if you're prepared: there is a fridge & storage lockers in the eating area outside, so you could store your breakfast there the night before (note: include the eating ware!) and then in the morning just grab a hot coffee/tea from one of the many nearby early-opening cafes to accompany your brekkie. If you can wait til 8am (when 'quiet time' ends), there's free freshly brewed coffee in the kitchen.

The best part about my stay was when Autumn & Bill put on a massive & free Thanksgiving feast for all the hostellers - with Autumn getting started at 6am to cook one turkey at 1pm & a second at 3pm! I have never known such kindness from a hostel, so Honu'ea really is a home away from home for me! I have absolutely no doubt that I will be back there next time I'm in Hawaii! :)

• Stayed: November 2012
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kapaa
Hotel Coral Reef
Courtyard Kaua'i at Coconut Beach
Pono Kai Resort
Pono Kai Resort
#7 of 11 in Kapaa

Been to Honu'ea International Hostel Kauai? Share your experiences!