I don't like how they make you choose between "average" and "poor." This hostel has a lot of pros and cons, like all hostels do, and my overall assessment is evidently "average." The pros are that this hostel is inexpensive and relatively clean. It shuts down early at night, though, so don't plan on doing much hanging out. Some of the staff can be a bit too forceful with the rules, and I was not the only guest who wondered if a couple of them knew what the rules were. So, those are the cons. More pros include the fact that the kitchen is well-maintained, albeit small, and that there are lockers. The one major structural drawback is that there are ten dorm beds and a private room per one small bathroom. The ladies seemed to have quite a problem with this in the female-only room. In the mixed room, it was a problem a couple times with having to wait for a couple people to go first.
Much has been said about the attitude of this hostel, both positive and negative, on this board, and I think that you simply need to know up front that you are not going to a party hostel that they go a bit overboard on rules in the other direction. As long as you know, it should be fine. There is really nothing fancy or special in particular that makes this hostel stand out to me, although they do have nice murals. I honestly stay here mainly because they have lockers. One suggestion is maybe chilling out a tiny bit on the no visitors thing because it can come off as rather rude when staff are really forceful about it.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Aloha and welcome to our family owned, family operated 34 person hostel on the amazing island of Kaua'i! Our hostel has enforced quiet hours from 10pm-7am. We are not a party style hostel. We hope guests will take advantage of our low prices and quality service so that you may enjoy Kauai hikes and outdoor activities that are our premier location provides. Honu'ea International Hostel Kauai resides in the heart of Kapa'a Town, across the street from Kapa'a Beach Park! Take a stroll or bike down the 7 mile Ke Ala Hele Makalae ("The Path that Goes by the Coast") that stretches from Wailua Town past Kealia Beach Point with amazing surf and spectacular views! Or, do some shopping at some of the best locally owned shops on Kauai. Dine in amazing restaurants or cook your own food in our large, newly decorated kitchen/common areas. We have two dorm rooms with ten beds, women's only dorms, four private rooms (inside the dorms), and two deluxe rooms. All dorms have a private room and a shared bath en-suite. The two deluxe rooms are in the main house, share a bathroom and do not have restrictions on kitchen hours. We have common areas available to all registered guests that include lanai (covered patio), several garden seating areas, hammock and TV room. Snorkel gear, kayaks, and Free WiFi is provided for all registered guests. Please, registered guests and new check ins only. *We most always have room for walk-ins 3pm-9pm, aloha! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with HostelWorld so you can book your Honu'ea International Hostel Kauai reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Kauai International Hotel Kapaa
- Honu'Ea International Hostel Kauai Hawaii - Kapaa