“Lovely place.”

Courtyard Kaua'i at Coconut Beach
Ranked #4 of 11 Hotels in Kapaa
“Lovely place.”
Reviewed 30 October 2013 via mobile

We stayed in an oceanfront room for 2 1/2 weeks. The room was very clean, bed was comfortable, pillows were great (that's important) and overall it was a very pleasant stay. Casual atmosphere. Nice breakfast buffet everyday.

Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (561)
  • Korean first
Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed 30 October 2013

I wasn't expecting much but was pleasantly surprised and we had a great stay.

Rooms were dated but was clean and everything worked as expected. The wifi was consistently fast. Service was great from all the hotel staff (a special thanks to Zach at the front desk who was super helpful). There is plenty of parking and the property is close to a pharmacy, supermarkets as well as local restaurants. Great location! Be aware that there is a $15 a day fee for parking

Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Henderson, Nevada
Reviewed 26 October 2013

Liked the central locale, views, spacious lobby, firepits, water fountains, tiki statues, tennis court, gym, hot tub, pool, bar, Market, free am coffee service, FD & Bell friendliness, early check-in, room size, food quality and most importantly the cool AC (which many Kauai hotels do not offer).

Disliked the unswimmable beach, abrasive attitude of some female F&B staff (bar cafe & banquets), room doors that didn't quite automatically close, slow shower drain, dripping tub faucet, obviously 10+ year old mattress leftover from a non-Marriott brand and indoor mosquitos (lanai door was always shut).

Will I return? Probably. Good value based on rate I received.

• Stayed October 2013
1 Thank bwbwbwbw
Skillman, New Jersey
Reviewed 24 October 2013

Very nice location, hotel itself is nice and clean, most staff were friendly while we were there. Upon checking in for our Honeymoon my spouse and I were given a room on the first floor which reeked of mold, upon complaining, we were told that this is what all the first floor rooms were like because of the climate and problems with the AC units. We thankfully were reassigned a great room on the second floor. Be aware, the WiFi is intermittant and not broadband, the bed is hard and uncomfortable and you can not swim at this beach as there are rocks and a sharp dropoff with waves that will crush you into the ledge. We were charged a $260 fee for smoking in the room which we did not do, upon calling the housekeeper told me that she must have smelled the smoke on his clothes and would reverse the charge, it has been 2 weeks and 4 phone calls and the charge is still not reversed, we have now disputed on our credit card. Also be aware that this hotel will ambush you with a $14 Per Day fee to park in their giant parking lot, this is a really scummy way to do business in our opinion.

Room Tip: dont get a room on the first floor and make sure if you smoke that your clothes do not smell, the bl...
3 Thank Sandy C
Vancouver
Reviewed 22 October 2013

We came back to Kapaa for a 5-night stay in October. We had previously stayed at the Aston Islander on the beach down the road.
First of all, I would say that the traveler has to do a little bit of research to see if the Courtyard Marriott is a match for you.
For us, we knew that the hotel was right on the beach and that it wasn't a swimming beach, so no surprise there.
We were looking for a nice clean hotel that would be used as a base to explore the island. From Hanalei to Waimea, Kapaa is right in the middle of the island.

It started out really well at the time of the check in as we were warmly greeted by a friendly staff member at the reception. We usually have a few reasonable requests.
We asked for a room on a higher floor (the 4th floor is the highest floor you can get there), not to be close to an ice or pop machine, or elevator, and finally we wanted to make sure we had a king size bed.
All our wishes were met and we got room #331, a premium ocean view room.
It came with a tiny triangular balcony but the room was a decent size and was well maintained. The hotel is obviously not trying to be a boutique hotel with slick furniture and cool design faucets, but the room was more than adequate.

I believe we had a very good room rate at $123 a night. Unfortunately, it came with a $14/day parking fee. In my opinion, there is really no reason to charge for parking. To me, it just looked like a resort fee (I despise resort fees).

There is a small pool and the common areas are well kept with modern outdoor furniture.
There are washers and dryers located on certain floors if you need fresh laundry (2nd and 4th floor of our building).

We didn't try the restaurant so I can't comment about it. We did walk by the breakfast buffet and it actually looked good for a buffet. However we ate out every time.

Restaurants tips. I would suggest the Art cafe Hemingway for breakfast. It is located north of the hotel in Kapaa in a blue house. Give it a try as an alternative to the Courtyard buffet breakfast.
There is also a Starbucks not far from the hotel (open at 5am for people who would like an early start to Waimea).
If you don't feel like breaking the bank for every meal, there is a Panda express (Chinese food) next to the Starbucks.

Last two recommendations would be the Pizza Brick Oven, south of the hotel by the Coconut mall. Nothing fancy but good pizza.
If you are a little more adventurous (not really), try the Korean barbecue across the street from Brick Oven Pizza. Really delicious with fewer tourists (apparently closed on Tuesday).

In conclusion, would we return to the Courtyard Marriott in Kauai?
The answer would be absolutely yes!
As long as we would get a similar deal we had and as long as the property is well taken care of with good reviews to back it up.
We would choose the Marriott over the Aston Islander on the beach. I found the Marriott superior in every way.

5 Thank bcgraph
Irvine, CA
Reviewed 22 October 2013

I recently spent a week at the lovely Courtyard at Coconut Beach and would definitely recommend the hotel. I stayed here several years ago when it was affiliated with Aston, and things have been spruced up a bit now that it is part of the Marriott family of hotels. I particularly want to commend Lissa at the front desk for her helpfulness. She helped me pick out a room that I would enjoy and sent up a welcoming gift which I very much appreciated. Marriott was having a Hawaii sale, so I got an especially good rate. Wireless works throughout the property. This location is perfect for exploring Kauai because it is right between Princeville and Poipu. I plan to return here on my next visit to Kauai.

Room Tip: There is a spa here, but I did not try it out.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 20 October 2013

I stay in Marriott properties quite a bit for work, so I'm fairly familiar with the quality of the chain. I used some of my points for this stay.

The property itself is in a nice location, and our room was on the top floor with an ocean view. As soon as we arrived, we unpacked and took showers. The first problem was that the tub did not drain properly when showering, then I noticed a pair of dirty socks from a previous guest right in front of the main mirror in the bedroom area (hardly an inconspicuous spot to have been missed by housekeeping). We called down to the desk to complain and they immediately sent someone up to sort out the drain and also someone else from housekeeping.

The person from housekeeping didn't seem like he knew why he was being sent up, because he just walked in and immediately started vacuuming. After I explained about the socks, he picked them up and put them in his pocket and cleaned the rest of the room. There weren't any other comparable rooms to switch us, so we just ensured the room seemed like it was adequately cleaned. The drain seemed like it got sorted out that night, but subsequent days proved it got slower again.

Breakfast the first morning was disappointing. The food was good, but the service was indifferent. We were nearly done eating by the time we got coffee and water.

I will say that after these first bumps, the remaining 4 days of our stay went off just fine and we were pleased.

1 Thank eurocarpaul
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kapaa
Kauai Beach Resort
#5 of 11 in Kapaa
Koloa Landing Resort
Westin Princeville Ocean Resort Villas
Hilton Garden Inn Kauai Wailua Bay

Been to Courtyard Kaua'i at Coconut Beach? Share your experiences!