“Thumbs Up! ”

Courtyard Kaua'i at Coconut Beach
Ranked #4 of 11 Hotels in Kapaa
Reviewed 17 July 2014 via mobile

This place is pretty good.

PROS: It's in a nice busy area so theres shopping and restaurants in walking-distance. It has it's own private beach just off of the back- plus outdoor showers and a great pool. The room is nice and cool. There are hammocks outside and sometimes they have Live music! Also, if you get down an dirty in sand or red clay, they have washers and dryers on the second floor (bring quarters)

CONS: Its open so there are lizards in the hallways sometimes. (I'm afraid of lizards so that was a big con for me haha) The restaurant at the hotel has a limited menu and they don't serve lunch or open until 6:30am. (Most of the time, we have to be up and on our way to an activity before they even open). And the bar closes fairly early (9-10ish).

Stayed: July 2014
There are newer reviews for Courtyard Kaua'i at Coconut Beach

Reviewed 16 July 2014

It's a great location for going either north or south on the island. Also, it's an easy walk to Safeway and other stores. The rooms are small though and the lanai is very tiny--barely enough for two chairs. Staff is OK-nice enough--nothing outstanding but certainly acceptable. Nice entertainment t night.

Room Tip: 4th floor has vaulted ceilings--makes the small room seem bigger.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank eugeneoregongirl
Reviewed 16 July 2014

Only there for such a short period but....the hotel is laid out beautifully and the setting is absolutely gorgeous. It is convenient from the Lihue Airport. Just hope that you get there before dark as the roads are dark and the street signs limited. Set your GPS.
After such as long trip we were greeted by a very friendly front desk staff. They could see I was beat so they made checking in easy. We grabbed a bite to take out from the restaurant as they were about to close. Not so friendly there and the burger was just barely ok.
We scored a king room (and paid for) with a wonderful ocean view. The room was huge. I am so sorry to say the room was dated and had a musty smell. Why did I even look at that mattress that should have been changed out years ago? The wooden shutters were a nice touch. I got to see my first Hawaiian sunrise from the balcony so all is good.
Just two other thoughts. They have roach problems around the property which make you afraid they might migrate to your room. Also the walls do not block out noise. I put the ear plugs in and prayed for sleep as it seemed my next door neighbors had a block party.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Reddais
Kimberlee C, Manager at Courtyard Kaua'i at Coconut Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 22 July 2014

Aloha,
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay. I will definitely be sure to share your positive comments in regards to your arrival experience with the Front Desk! I have also begun to take a closer look at the specific discrepancies you experienced during your visit. I can assure you that I will address these individually with each Department Manager to ensure we are following up accordingly.
Mahalo for visiting, and we look forward to welcoming you back in the future!

Reviewed 16 July 2014 via mobile

Stayed for two weeks in early July for business on kauai. I am a top tier Marriott member, staying around 75 night/year. I can easily say this property is without question the worst Courtyard I have ever experienced. I'm honestly surprised Marriott has their name associated with this horribly maintained, bug infested property.

Check-in:
Checkin with Lissa at the front desk took over an hour (three people ahead of me, so plan for at leastst 30 minutes per person for checkin).

Rooms:
I stayed in an executive ocean front (most expensive accomidation offered) on the first floor. Bugs (ants of all sizes and spiders) easily made their way through the sizeable hole in the frame of the sliding door. I awoke to bugs in the bed and on me several nights. The tub in the bathroom was stained yellow, the tile work was in disrepair, and the shower bar was twisted rather far from its original mounting position. Added enjoyment came from light switch edges encased in gross brown/black dirt, an air conditioner that shuts off when you are not in the room, old matresses (coil springs squeaked with the slightest movement), and a noisy refrigerator. After a few days of regular complaints to the front desk, I was moved up to a third floor executive ocean front suite. This solved the hole in the sliding door, but introduced a broken sliding glass door frame. If you were wondering, yes, the facilities are rather run down everywhere. The new room still had bugs, admittedly less, but still enough to see them in the bathroom and on the table EVERY DAY. The tub was still stained yellow, tile under disrepair, dirty light switches, and old squeaky mattresses.

Business center:
This business center is a comolete joke. The computers have illegitimate copies of Windows, Internet speeds rival that of circa 1995 dialup service, and printing requires help from the overly busy fro t desk staff. Forget about doing any work here.

Game room:
Air hockey table is a nice touch, and generally went unused during my two week stay. The Nintendo wii (only one system) was regularly not working, so hopefully your children were not looking forward to that perk.

Pool/Courtyard:
Front desk made it clear that wrist band was required to access this area. What a joke. In my two weeks, not a single person was turned away for not having a wrist band, and in fact almost nobody wears them. The chairs are comfortable, but remember to put down a towel first as they are usually covered in fecal matter. Tables are generally clean, but come prepred to find fecal matter on those too. The actual pool and ocean are wonderful. The hot tub is large and very relaxing as long you remember that it seats almost 20.

Breakfast:
Breakfast in the restaurant is shared with dozens of pesky birds and wild chickens. The open air design of the restaurant is nice, but protecting your food from birds every minute is frustrating after one meal service. The breakfast buffet is not frequently refreshed, as only a handful of guest can be found enjoying it most mornings. The buffet selection includes made to order omlets (this station is most often not staffed for some reason), hot oatmeal, bacon, sausage, french toast, scrambled eggs, pre-made breakfast sandwics, an assortment of fresh fruit, breads, beagles, pastries, yogurt, and assorted dry cereal. Beverages are delivered by the staff.

Lunch/Dinner:
Definitely a positive experience!
Bar and restaurant offer lunch and dinner. The menu is generally delicious with special highlights being battered fish tacos, prime rib dip, nachos, ribeye steak, and prime rib. The staff is generally better than average. Food and beverage manager, Britney, is devoted to customer satisfaction. She has empowered her staff to do what is needed to make the customer smile. Specifically, Tyson/Sabrina in the restaurant and Julie/Kenny in the bar are right up there with the best service I have received anywhere. Tyson has excellent menu knowledge, and always had my order out perfectly in record time. Sabrina was always happy to take special orders without complaint. Julie has an amazing passion for guest satisfaction and even prepares her own special island hot sauce for various drinks, and with her signature spicy pineapple...sooo good! Kenny helped create numerous off menu items such as cheese fries and sandwiches to please even the must particular pallette. The lunch/dinner is a strong suit at this property.

Checkout:
Absolutely dreadful! It took over 45 minutes to check out. The computer system which tracks charges does not allow front desk staff to efficiently identify charges to the room. The front desk staff actually pulled out a desk calculator to help figure out my bill. Completely unacceptable, but fitting way to end the most horrible Courtyard experience I have ever had. The manager was not even in to come by the front desk and explain these blunders....clearly they do not care about future business.

In summary, this hotel offers abysmal living conditions, a threatening business center, and a property management team that could care less about guests. I cannot believe they are even permitted to hold the Marriott moniker. The only high point is lunch/dinner so if you are hungry it is worth a stop, otherwise don't waste your time.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
14  Thank Joe7186

Aloha Joe,
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. We appreciate your kind comments in regard to your dining experiences and menu offerings. We are fortunate to have the associates mentioned as a part of our team. I have had the opportunity to meet with the Leadership Team here at The Courtyard Kauai at Coconut Beach about the inconsistencies you portrayed. We have discussed each item in depth and have created a plan of action to pursue for those items we feel are inconclusive with our resort in hopes that we may improve for our future guests. We truly appreciate your comments, and I apologize your visit was did not meet your expectations. I hope there will be an opportunity soon for us to regain your confidence and demonstrate our growth.

Reviewed 16 July 2014 via mobile

We stayed 5 nights and loved it. It's a newer hotel, 4 stories high. Several buildings connected to a main hub. Rooms have A/C and halls are open air. They blur the line between inside and outside. We used the Expedia consignor to book all our day trips.

No free breakfast but free coffee in the morning. Free water bottle fillers in lobby and exercise room.

Stayed: July 2014
Reviewed 14 July 2014

We stayed at this hotel for 5 nights and had a beautiful balcony and view of the ocean. This hotel has a great vibe. It is incredibly relaxing, and the staff was phenomenal. They were all very friendly and accommodating, always willing to help. The location is away from some of the other resorts, which my husband and I actually enjoyed. We felt that we could relax and enjoy our time without being part of a "big crowd". It is located on the east side of the island, but in the center of main road which connects everything together, offering snorkeling to the south, and beautiful beaches and hiking to the north, and also close to the airport. Every night, live music and 2 free Mai Tais are offered to go with the parking, and we were able to enjoy every night with a new artist. I would definitely recommend this hotel to family and friends.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 July 2014

When we arrived the hotel itself was quite beautiful as was the hotel grounds. When we checked into our room we did notice that the air conditioning was not working as well as it should have been and did not seem to get better the whole week until the day we were leaving. We also had to have the drain cleaned because it was backing up when taking a shower. I understand we were in a tropical environment but I still did not enjoy finding 3 roaches on 3 different occasions. It was so bad, my husband and I slept with the lights on for the last 3 nights to make sure the roaches didn't come out. The view from our room was wonderful but we could not sit with the lanai door open because there was no screen. For the price, I suppose it was a good hotel but if we ever visit Kauai again I think we will rent a condo.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Nicole K

Aloha Nicole,
Mahalo for taking the time to relay feedback from your recent stay. I apologize the in-room climate was not entirely comfortable during your visit. Although the Air Conditioning system was functioning - it was not cooling to it's fullest potential and our devoted team of Engineers worked diligently to expedite the solution. I am happy to report that the Air Conditioning system has been restored to it's fullest working capacity. We take great pride in being able to ensure our guests the highest level of comfort and security and it appears we have fallen short in that aspect. I have shared your comments with our Director of Housekeeping and the Chief Engineer to address your comments promptly to avoid future occurrences.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Kapaa
Kauai Beach Resort
#5 of 11 in Kapaa
Koloa Landing Resort
Hilton Garden Inn Kauai Wailua Bay
Kaua'i Marriott Resort

Been to Courtyard Kaua'i at Coconut Beach? Share your experiences!