“Best Place on Kauai”

Courtyard Kaua'i at Coconut Beach
Ranked #3 of 11 Hotels in Kapaa
Austin, Texas (We're full...so come visit, then leave)
“Best Place on Kauai”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2014

Booked on the Marriott website. I would highly advise users to keep checking the price as it is subject to change, or they have package discounts. For instance, we started at $269/night. Because I continually checked prices, we finally ended up with $209/night. Not a bad deal at all.

This hotel is about a 10-15 minute drive from the airport, and is off the main road. Pretty easy to get to, lots of nearby grocery stores to hit for supplies. Sidebar: everyone on Kauai shops at Costco. For everything, including gas. Get a membership and shop there. Bonus...they sell liquor there too.

Front desk reception was quick and very friendly. You have two choices if you rented a car...$14 extra per day for "parking" or $20/day for a resort fee which includes two mediocre mai tai drinks per day. You're already on vacay...get the mai tais!

Hotel lobby and main areas are all open-air and wonderful. The pool area and really hot tub are nice, and there are usually plenty of places to sit poolside.

We had an executive oceanfront room on the 3rd floor. The room was ready early and was very clean on arrival.

The beach at the hotel is great for walking along, and getting several feet in but not more than that. There are some rocks and a reef so you can't go too far in, but otherwise it's nice.

After settling in, we hit the bar. There was a standout bartender named Nadia. She was absolutely fantastic. Very friendly, made great drinks, gave us great advice where to go during our visit. We tipped her extremely well every time we ordered drinks from her. Food ordered from the bar was actually pretty good, like the fish tacos.

Later we hit the hotel restaraunt. I'd recommend skipping it. The portions are kind of small and the prices are a little steep. I'd only eat there for breakfast and then only if it was comped. They serve free coffee in the lobby every morning, but if you go to the restaraunt they serve the exact same coffee but charge you $3. So get the free coffee to go, and find a cool local restaraunt to eat at instead. You'll probably get more for your money and at the same time, support the local businesses which is a cool thing.

I only have two complaints about this hotel. First...the air conditioner. Nobody tells you or makes it obviously known, but the sliding glass door that goes out to the lanai has a sensor on it. If the door is open too long, the A/C cuts off. Which, I understand. But...the sensor has to be in the right position even if the door is closed or else you get no A/C. I spent about 2 hours sweating before I figured it out one night and was a little irritated.

Lean beef #2...the beds. The good news is that if you have fun on Kauai, you'll be very tired and won't care that the beds suck. That being said...the beds are pretty bad. I felt the springs when I was laying on it. And I talked to several other guests who reported similar conditions. Yes, I'm sure buying a bunch of mattresses is a large expense, but in a hotel...kind of a necessity.

All in all...good location, great bar, decent beach, nice design, great price, lousy beds. If you're going to Kauai to do some exploring, this is your hotel. I really wouldn't stay anywhere else.

Room Tip: Upgrade to the executive oceanfront room! Just do it!
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
5 Thank ap3266

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (546)
  • Korean first
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2014

We are currently staying in this hotels. Having room #466. We love this hotel. Its clean, we love peoples working here and location is awesome. But, the doors of other rooms bang all nights long. Earing them from our bed is quit annoying. The problem is not the doors. It is the peoples that cant learn from the first bang and do it again and again. Well im not expecting more from people paying less than 150$ / night for a room. So cant sleep well in a hotel is totaly inacceptable. Other wise, pool is small but beautifull beach is unswimmable but quietso we can relax on the beautifull chair. So if you dont care about not sleeping well. Go ahead with this hotel and you will highly enjoy.

• Stayed July 2014
1 Thank tommy202020
Kimberlee C, Manager at Courtyard Kaua'i at Coconut Beach, responded to this review, 21 August 2014
Aloha Tommy202020,
I'd like to take this opportunity to thank you for staying with us. Your wonderful feedback about the Resort, staff and amenities is greatly appreciated and I will be sure to share those with our staff. I apologize you had such a frustrating experience with the noise coming from doors which were propped open. I understand how this could affect the ambiance in your room as well as the overall impression of your visit. I hope you received the letter I wrote, which was delivered to your room on the morning before your check out. If you have any further questions or comments, my information is listed, and I would love to hear from you. Once again, thank you for staying with us and if your travels bring you back to Kaua'i, I hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the Courtyard Kaua'i! Mahalo.
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2014

For our honeymoon, we decided to do Hawaii. New to the islands, we opted for a travel agent since she knows the area better than we do. Well...this hotel was selected for our stay in Kauai. Unfortunately, it is not the hotel for you when you visit the islands unless you are just looking for a cheap place to stay. The rooms are dated and the layout is weird. We paid for an upgrade to have a partial ocean view room. Well...I guess we have different definitions on how we define "partial".

There are one (two?) restaurants at the hotel. The food was okay, nothing crazy we would rave about.

I guess the most disappointing part of the hotel was its beach. The pictures of this hotel highlight groups of people on the beach doing yoga...well, do you see any pictures with people actually in the water?? No. Why you may ask? Well, there are rocks/coral sprinkled through the waterline. If you dare to disk being impaled, you'll have to then get use to the rough/turbulent waters. Now please note that this is not an exaggeration. The hotel has a sign warning you of the terrible conditions. No one was in the water when we arrived...no one was in the water when we left. When we wanted to swim and layout on the beach, we had to drive to our destinations.

To add to our disappointment, the hotel has a large surface parking lot. To park, there is obviously a fee. Well, the front desk made it sound like we had to buy this parking package that included phone minutes to use in our room, two free drinks a night, and some other mumbo-jumbo. It was presented to us like we had to take it--"you want to park here, this is the parking package" kind of deal. We quickly learned this wasn't the case when the people next to us asked if there was a rate just to park. "Ohhhh, you don't want the super-stupendous parking package?? Okay, its this much to park here then".

I recommend finding another hotel. There are PLENTY of options in the area that are reasonably priced and offer better services/amenities.

Happy searching :) Aloha!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank John M
Kimberlee C, Manager at Courtyard Kaua'i at Coconut Beach, responded to this review, 1 August 2014
Aloha John,
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us. I apologize your expectations were not met to the fullest extent. We strive each day to provide impeccable accommodations and experiences that will be remembered for years to come. According to your comments, it appears that we have let you down in this case. I wish I had the opportunity to discuss different room options with you while you were still checked in. I hope this experience does not hinder your decision to visit us in the future. Please rest assured that I will discuss your feedback with my Leadership Team for further review. Mahalo.
Branson, Missouri
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2014

The location is why we selected this hotel. It is located in Kapaa, which is a beach-front town midway between the farther reaches of the island. Having always stayed near Hanalei in the past, we decided to move our stay.

This hotel is not part of the regular Marriott ownership, even though it bears the Marriott name. We did not get our Marriott points for a stay of 10 nights. Disappointment! And, we did not know until we arrived that we would not get the points.

Our ocean-front room was spacious and clean. It is older, but nice.. The restaurants are good. The hotel provides coffee in the mornings in the lobby. They also have hot breakfast sandwiches there that you can purchase for about $3.00, and differ each day. Makes for a quick breakfast before being on your way. Parking is very easy, although can be hard to find on the evenings when the hotel has booked a special event. The hotel is close to shops, but not particularly close enough to walk. People coming in on tour buses were limited in their ability to get around.

The hotel staff is very nice and helpful. There are island craftsmen who set up tables to sell their beautiful hand-made wares in the lobby each morning. The hotel provides a luau type entertainment once or twice a week, but you should book a luau elsewhere if you want the "real thing".

Room Tip: We chose an ocean-front room, and the sun coming up every morning filtered in through the wood shut...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Brokerbelle
Winston-Salem
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2014

just back from a 6-night stay, had 2 rooms. Hotel is very clean, beds comfortable, helpful staff. The pool area has a fire-feature used at night & a hot tub, bar services are also available. The beach is NOT recommended for swimming b/c of the current, rock and coral but the view is beautiful with a sandy area and a grassy area with a few trees for shade. The hotel is centrally located on the east coast, about 70 minutes drive to the northern point and 70 minutes to the most southern point. Laundry facilities available and an ice machine (very handy for packing your own picnics as you explore the island). While we were there, small kids enjoyed the pool, but there are no beach activities. Would stay there again. All beaches are public on Kauai. Stay here, save your money, then pack a picnic lunch and travel the island, while exploring other beaches. There is a Safeway Grocery store 1/2 mi. away.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2014 via mobile

Booked this hotel for my overnight trip to Kauai. Location is perfect, right on the beach, and friendly front office staff had me upgraded to one of the room with extremely high ceiling! Loved the room decor and overall pleasant feeling throughout the hotel. Pool area is extremely nice with fire pit right in the middle. Had few Mai Tais at the bar - excellent!!! Also, for it's price, breakfast buffet is a must have if you are going to stay here!!

Only issue I had was the wait time for me to be seated for the breakfast. I think there should always be host at the front so that the guest can be served. I saw many servers running around but took a while for the guests to be seated. There were about groups of 3-4 families waiting to be seated while I was waiting. I'm sure I must hit the line during the busy period so this is just a blip on the radar.

Wished I had stayed longer - even though it was only 1 night, my stay was great. Would come back here again!!

Stayed July 2014
1 Thank Yohei E
Los Angeles
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2014

Stayed here for one night using my Marriott free reward night (no longer applicable as this, along with most Marriott properties went up a category). I stay at the Marriott Kauai Beach Club in Lihue every year, so this Courtyard was such a disappointment. The pool area is small as is the beach. In fact, the beach is quite rocky. Being Platinum, I was told that I was upgraded, but ... well ... I guess I'm just spoiled by the other Marriott. The balcony was barely big enough for two people to stand and turn around. The ocean view (at least from this unit) was but a sliver. We arrived late and went to the restaurant to order and take the food back to our room. We were handed a bag, paid, and actually ended eating outside at the bar area. One of the entrees they gave us was the wrong one (it should have been a panini but it was something else) but when my daughter brought it back, she was told that the panini grill was turned off and they wouldn't offer her what she had ordered. In fact, she wasn't even offered a refund or another item. So I'd have to give a very low mark for service.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank la_jazz_girl
Kimberlee C, Manager at Courtyard Kaua'i at Coconut Beach, responded to this review, 24 July 2014
Aloha la_jazz_girl,
Thank you for the recent review or your stay. First and foremost, I'd like to thank you for being a valued Platinum Rewards Member. Your loyalty to the Marriott brand is highly appreciated. That said, as a well-traveled Platinum Member, I can understand your dissatisfaction in the room upgrade. I apologize you had such a frustrating experience and will use this opportunity to reevaluate our upgrade procedures moving forward. I am just as disappointed to hear of your experience with the to-go dinner meal. I have personally shared your comments with the Director of Food & Beverage for immediate action. We strive every day to ensure the utmost satisfaction of each guest and it appears that we have fallen short in this case. If your travels bring you back to the beautiful island of Kaua’i, I truly hope you will afford us another chance to demonstrate our improved service for which we are best known. Mahalo!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kapaa
Kauai Beach Resort
Kauai Shores, an Aqua Hotel
Koloa Landing Resort
Westin Princeville Ocean Resort Villas
Kaua'i Marriott Resort

Been to Courtyard Kaua'i at Coconut Beach? Share your experiences!