“Great Experience”

Courtyard Kaua'i at Coconut Beach
Ranked #5 of 11 Hotels in Kapaa
Reviewed 18 August 2014

This is not your mainland Courtyard. Everything about this hotel is upscale from the rooms to the rest of the facilities. The staff is very friendly and helpful which added pleasantly to our experience. The food was good, even though we ate buffet style each time due to the group we were a part of. This hotel is highly recommended!

Room Tip: Ask for a hotel that faces the ocean and enjoy!
5  Thank DonHo2
Write a ReviewReviews (1,829)

Reviewed 14 August 2014

we have stayed here several times. I love it's central location and the hotel staff is very friendly. We have had some small problems, one with a room door that would not UNLOCK>>>>it was taken care of but was a little disconcerting. Sometimes we don't even rent a car because we can walk to a grocery, coffee shop, or several excellent restaurants. The one big complaint I have is when we are booking the reservation we get to the end and it gives us a total and we complete the process and THEN WE reminded that $20 a day will be added to our daily rate for parking and we get a free mai tai daily. When we don't rent a car the value becomes much less desirable…….and why in the world don't you just put the resort fee up front? It would be a much better way to do business. On this next trip I am making I am bringing my grandchildren and we are not renting a car so the resort fee that includes $14 a day for parking should maybe be given to me in free food for the children or??????

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank maybeiwillmaybeiwont
Kimberlee C, Manager at Courtyard Kaua'i at Coconut Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 21 August 2014

Aloha,
Thank you for your recent review. It is or greatest pleasure to welcome you back time and time again. We understand you have a choice when selecting accommodations and feel fortunate that you decide to visit us each time you visit Kaua'i. I appreciate your kind comments in regard to our staff and location. The Resort Package is an excellent bundle ($133 value nightly) and I would like to explain the inclusions so you have a better idea of what the package encompasses. At $20/night, the variety of amenities included embody something for everyone! Based on your comments, I understand you will be traveling with children. The Resort Package includes a ‘Kids Eat Free’ program which would be beneficial to you. The package also includes complimentary beach rentals (beach chairs, umbrellas, sand mats, coolers etc.) – based upon availability. Complimentary use of the tennis and basketball equipment is also built-in. Adults can also take advantage of the complimentary Mai Tai’s and Beach Yoga which are also in the Package. These are just some of the amenities which are available to you with the Resort Package. I invite you to visit our website where you will find more information on the Resort Fee Inclusions. For faster browsing, please use this link: http://www.marriott.com/hotelwebsites/us/l/lihku/lihku_pdf/Resort_Fee_Inclusions.pdf
I hope this information is helpful to you. Please do not hesitate to reach out with any questions by calling our Front Desk direct at 808-822-3455. We look forward to welcoming you back to paradise!
Mahalo!

Reviewed 14 August 2014

I have been a Marriott Platinum Elite member for several years. This is the FIRST Marriott property that I have stayed at where I actually felt my status made a difference. Upon arriving Cassandra, at the front desk was very efficient and super friendly and polite. Very welcoming. This is also the first time that I received a room upgrade from a Marriott property without having to even ask for it. The property is gorgeous, the room is huge with a lanai from which we could go right to the beach. The perks you get as a Platinum elite are very nice, free parking, mai tai's and lots of others.

The location of the hotel is a fairly short drive from the airport. We ate at the bar last night and the food and service were very good. This is a huge step up from the standard Courtyard experience on the mainland. I would recommend this hotel to any and everyone.

Room Tip: Rooms 190, 191 and 192 are the rooms are ground floor and you can walk the 30 yards to the beach fro...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Douglas G
Reviewed 14 August 2014

We stayed here for 16nights for our honeymoon. The service was incredible and the staff were very quick in delivering service.

The fitness facilities have two ellipticals, two treadmills, three bikes and weights and two benches. It had cold cold water and towels.

The rooms were clean and faced the ocean. I'd for sure go back.

1  Thank VictoriaPurdy
Reviewed 11 August 2014

I can only recommend this hotel. The beach is amazing, the staff is friendly, the gym is very good (...). After only one day at the beach / in the hot tub / listening to the local musician over a cocktail in the evening I am completely relaxed. Also very family friendly if you ask me!

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Elisabeth Y
Reviewed 9 August 2014

This hotel is situated on a beautiful stretch of beach, which we really enjoyed looking at from our lanai. If you can, I would definitely suggest getting an ocean view room. It is a very large property, and I would really feel that I had missed out if I did not have that view to enjoy.

The staff at the front desk is friendly and welcoming. They were ready to help whenever I had a question, and went out of their way to insure a wonderful stay.

The hotel is centrally located on Kauai, so we were able to enjoy the south side of the island: Waymea Canyon and Poipu Beach, without the expense of staying in Poipu.
It is also very close to markets, a Starbucks and shopping.

The rooms are not as posh as others I have stayed in (fancy robes and slippers, deluxe mattresses, and recent renovations) but this is also reflected in the price and it was very clean and comfortable. Definitely a good QPR (Quality Price Ratio).

I would not hesitate to recommend this courtyard!

Room Tip: Ocean view is worth the upgrade
1  Thank MELLOSUSAN
Reviewed 9 August 2014

we spent a week here and found it completely enjoyable. previously we stayed at another nice resort, in a more remote location. that is nice except you have to drive to EVERYTHING. this resort was perfect because as you lounged in the pool, kicked your feet up by the fire pit, swam in the ocean or just relaxed, you felt secluded with just you and the ocean. BUT if you needed to shop for groceries, grab a bite to eat, pick up some souvenirs or even go for a run, those places were literally just seconds away! you can walk to most of them. being a hotel on a remote island we were prepared for prices for food and drink at the Courtyard to be pricey. they were, but no more expensive than other island hotels that we have stayed at. just to give you an average, a mai tai after happy hour was around $8-9 and a dinner of a burger and fries was around $14. so we made sure to run to Foodland grocery across the street and stock up on breakfasts, light lunches and snacks so that we could still enjoy the delicious food at the hotel for dinner and drinks without breaking our bank.

just inside the front check in is a small "marketplace". they carry some essentials such as sun tan lotion, diapers, etc. there isn't a huge variety of gifts to be purchased there but that's fine considering you are nearby so many local shops. of the food/drink available for purchase they had single serving frozen pizzas, single cereals/oatmeals as well as other snacks, drinks, beer, wine. they have a free water dispenser that issues hot or cold water, as well as a microwave. i spoke with an employee there who told me that even when we bought our own food from the grocery store, that we were more than welcome to come down and use the microwave & water dispenser to prepare our food. that area was accessible 24/7.

the room was nice by our standards. we had a pool/garden view and it was fine. we didn't spend much time in our room anyway. there is the typical mini fridge (which was great for stocking our groceries!), a safe for storing valuable, and the normal coffee maker, tv, etc. we had a minor issue that involved having maintenance arrive but they made it pain free. they were quick to arrive, friendly and fixed the problem right away. my only complaint about the rooms has to do with the lanai (patio) slider. from the inside of the room there are beautiful slotted door panels that you can horizontally open or close to allow light in. beyond those is a solid glass slider, so if you have the slots open and the slider open you can enjoy the tranquil sounds and possibly a little breeze. my issue is that there is no screens/screen doors on any of the lanais. so if you have that door open, there is a chance for bugs to enter your room. also, there are sensors and so if you have the slider door open, the air conditioning will not run. i understand that, you don't want to be pumping cold air right out the door! however, it did limit us from when we were in our room, how much we have the sounds coming in and it definitely kept us from sleeping with the slider open. bugs and warm air could easily creep in. let me clarify though, it wasn't a deal breaker or even really that big of a deal, it was just something unusual that we hadn't experienced before.

we didn't have the best of luck keeping a solid connection to the internet while we were there. again, we weren't on our computers very often but a good signal was nice to upload some photos and check some things online. they do have a nice area with outlets and computer access just off the lobby so that was cool. also they have a small work out room. that reminds me, you are just moments away from the Kaua'i Bike Trail which is a walking, jogging, roller blading, biking, beautiful trail that goes along the ocean and is great for a beautiful, scenic jaunt. there are some great places to stop for photographs. if you turn right out of the hotel, and turn right at the street across from the burger king, there is an entrance point at the end of the street. although just a few minutes further down the road Kealia Beach has another access point and that leads to the more beautiful part of the trail in my opinion. (turning left on the path, away from the hotel ;-)

the ocean access at the hotel has a lot of beach front and some great shade with plenty of chairs to relax in. it isn't the most calm stretch of ocean, nor is it the smoothest stretch of sand. it's not probably recommended for children. (speaking of children, just off of the lobby there is a game room with air hockey, etc for family fun). the ocean access was fun for adults to hop in, get wet and playfully get tossed around by the waves a bit. just be careful because there is quite a bit of rocky terrain in the ocean right there so it would be easy to hurt yourself. i did notice several people who grabbed a snorkel and made their way out over the rocks and enjoyed some beautiful sights. but again, there are plenty of easily accessible smooth beaches along the way. the Kealia beach being one of them.

finally i must beg you to make sure that you are awake for sunrises at the hotel. oh my gosh, even the over cast morning brought about such beauty and color. it was great to spend those moments with other visitors and realize that you were witnessing something truly beautiful and unique!

overall, we really enjoyed our stay here and are already looking forward to a return next year. everyone has different expectations about a place to stay so it might not suit everyones needs and likes, but i feel confident saying that this was a great place to stay that brought us many happy memories.

Room Tip: the garden view rooms are the most affordable but they tend to face the pool. we used to be ocean fr...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
7  Thank AlohaSoul
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kapaa
Kauai Beach Resort
Westin Princeville Ocean Resort Villas
Aston Islander on the Beach
Koloa Landing Resort at Poipu, Autograph Collection
Marriott's Kaua'i Beach Club

Been to Courtyard Kaua'i at Coconut Beach? Share your experiences!