“Attention to detail is amazing.”
Review of The Palmwood

The Palmwood
Ranked #1 of 2 Kilauea B&B and Inns
Melbourne
“Attention to detail is amazing.”
Reviewed 7 March 2013

We absolutely loved the Palmwood! We stayed for 3 nights in the East Room which is ground level with a super comfy tempur bed, outdoor hot tub, outdoor shower, indoor shower/bathroom and private garden area.

One of the main things that struck me over and over again was the incredible attention to detail in every aspect of the B&B. The room design and furnishings are absolutely stunning and luxurious. The bedframe itself is a piece of art. The lazy chair is completely unique and wonderful. Antique pieces are dotted everywhere. There is a leather-look hot tub! The outdoor chairs are gorgeous and comfy. The japanese inspired surrounding garden is immaculate. The shared dining/entertainment area is also beautiful as is the communal tiki/bbq kitchen. The whole place looks like it is straight from a design magazine it is just lovely. As you drive in at night the place is lit up with lanterns and it looks magical. There is a 'fire pit' area down from the garden section where you can sit on hammocks or chairs and enjoy the views. The views from each room are also beautiful.

Another highlight is breakfast. In fact the breakfasts were the best we had on the whole trip! Eddi makes a different organic breakfast each morning and all three we had were just delicious. First morning we had crab cakes with poached eggs and blueberry salad. Second we were served asparagus with prosciutto, apple crumble and an egg bake. The last morning we had amazing french toast with banana. Each morning we also had a berry smoothie and self serve teas/coffees. I am craving some more of that french toast!

Eddi herself is not 'in your face' which is great for a B&B which is very private and suits couples. However if you do need some advice she is extremely knowledgeable on the area!

The location itself is quite out of the way - you will have to drive into one of the surrounding towns for dinner/lunch. There is always the bbq area which is really well stocked if you plan to cook your own meals. Some people mentioned no fridge in room - there is a big fridge in the communal outdoor kitchen area to store things in. There are utensils available and there are plates/cups etc available in the coffee/tea/dining area downstairs.

The three nights after we left we stayed at the Royal Hawaiian which was such a disappointment, we just wanted to be back at the Palmwood...

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Wanno

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 28 February 2013

The Palmwood Inn is gorgeous. The attention to detail is unsurpassed. The breakfasts were the best we had on our trip, hands down. Eddi, you're a great cook! The location is stunning and private. We loved coming "home" to our own hot tub and outdoor shower. What a way to end the day. The closest beach is breathtaking and only 5 minutes away and everything else is just s drive away. I can't imagine a better place to stay on Kauai. Thanks Eddi for all your patient help.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Sandra H
Manhattan
Reviewed 10 February 2013

My wife and I stayed at The Palmwood for 7 nights in early February 2013. This was after extensive searches among both hotels and B&Bs both on the North and South shores.

ROOMS: there are three rooms (a good thing in our opinion), all offering a variety different amenities. We stayed 4 nights in the Upper Suite, which offers the largest room, bed (king), and bathroom. The outside deck overlooks the backyard and the mountains, with 2 comfortable chairs to sit and relax in. We then stayed 3 nights in the East Room, which was a bit smaller but offered the best private outdoor spot available, not to mention the private outdoor shower. There is also an indoor shower, which we never used. The East Room also has a hot tub (as does the West). Both rooms had a very clean and modern design which we found very relaxing. Both beds were EXTREMELY comfortable...so comfortable that I plan on purchasing similar pillows and eventually a similar mattress pad to match.

DINING: a fulfilling, healthy and very delicious breakfast is provided each morning. After that you are on your own. However, there is a fully functioning outdoor kitchen with grill, which I highly recommend taking advantage of. There are several local farmer's markets each day of the week to pick up plenty for lunch or dinner. I recommend picking up some local fruit/veggies and then some fresh fish from the Kilauea or Hanalei Dolphin Fish Markets and cook out on your own. We did this 3 of our 7 nights.

SERVICE: the service was just what we were looking for. Eddy (and a few others who were helping her out at the time) were there to greet us when we arrived, but for the most part stayed out of our way. They are around the house to answer questions if you have them, but do not expect them to be servicing you 24/7. We actually enjoyed this as it almost felt like we lived there. They are extremely knowledgable of the island with both things to do and not to do. I suggest you ask those questions during the morning when breakfast is served, as we did several mornings.

OTHER: there is a fire pit, which I recommend taking advantage of after dinner as there is not much nightlife on north shore of the island. There are several fantastic beaches within 10 minutes drive, I recommend Kahili (Rock Quarry). There is a breakfast pavilion area offering a great spot to relax during or after breakfast.

When we return to Kauai this is where we will stay, no questions about it. If you are looking for St. Regis style lodging and service, don't stay here - you will be disappointed. However if you are looking for a relaxed, low-key, natural place to stay, this is your spot.

Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank echines
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 1 February 2013

When deciding on where to stay I am glad my partner and I listened to all the positive reviews. This bed and breakfast is perfectly located with breathtaking views and beautiful landscaping. From the moment you walk in you are greeted quickly from the wonderful host Eddi (which is nice because you’re tired and you just want to relax and not endure 20 minutes of surface talk). Eddi’s equally awesome husband Steve offered up his favorite places to dine and he really gave us some great dining tips (the Dolphin has great sushi!). From the organic products to the orchids in our soap, Eddi adds beauty and tranquility to everything she touches. The room is modern, rustic and uniquely alluring. I am trying to copy some of what Eddi did in our room and add it to my own home

My girlfriend and I were able to come home every night with parking in close proximity to the room and a bed that was ridiculously comfortable ( I blame the bed for my late morning rises). The windows above the bed offer beautiful sounds at night with an amazing breeze (we had the east room) non fan necessary. I don’t even say things like beautiful sounds, but it really was a very calming sounds to fall asleep with. I wanted to add, it was nice to not be bothered with roosters. They are everywhere on the island and very annoying, but somehow we weren't bothered with those pesky things during our stay at the Palmwood.

My girlfriend would wake up and enjoy early morning yoga alone in the serene atmosphere. Just as in the evening, mornings also offered the peaceful and quiet privacy we desired. After a delicious meal that Eddi prepared we would talk with she and her husband and move on about our day. It was nice to not heavily plan our trip and we found that some days we were more eager about our coffee and conversations with Eddi more than we wanted to go explore. She left us to eat alone, but we were always excited when she would come back down and chat with us. I found Eddi to be incredibly likable, insightful...shes's really something special. I consider our conversations one of the highlights of our trip. It was truly a magical place.

I wanted to address the two negative comments that are untrue--
1). There is a refrigerator, it is just not in the room. I find it better that it’s placed outside instead of in the room. Keeps the room free of ants and gives the room a nicer ambiance and makes it less cramped.
2). As I mentioned above, Eddie and her husband Steve are very easy to converse with. They are also very acute to when couples need their space. You might want to leave being their best friend, but they are running a business and alas, not looking for dining friends ( how we wished they were)!;) They were super cool and very engaged when in discussion. The person who said otherwise may not have been approachable or may have expected tour guide? Not sure, but they were both friendly and occasionally served as our tour guide upon request, so not sure where that review came from? I don’t believe quick conversations warrant negative responses.

I never write reviews and this thing is insanely long, but I wanted to be one more person to confirm that the Palmwood deserves all the accolades it has received by past reviewers . Kauai and the Palmwood gave my girlfriend and I a much needed vacation with the perfect mixture of relaxation and adventure. I don’t know what I miss more about Kauai-- the hikes, Eddi or the delectable meals she prepared every morning. Owners Eddi and her husband Steve are warm, personable and offer a great deal of helpful tips on where to travel/ dine and help make the trip unforgettable. STAY HERE!!!!

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank NicoleC1234
cherijcbs@yahoo.com
Reviewed 5 October 2012

Wishing we were back in Kauai at the fabulous Palmwood Inn. I bit off the beaten path, which we love, and a setting that will stay in your heart. We stayed in the West Room complete with the sound of the waterfall, a private outdoor shower and a relaxing two-person hot tub. The grounds are beautifully maintained and the scenery is… well pure joy both day and night!! Eddi is a superb hostess and a chef extraordinaire. We loved the morning smoothie, salad and fresh healthy foods clearly prepared with love. We enjoyed visiting with our hostess and sharing life stories. Thanks Eddi for guiding us on our trip your dinner reservations were fantastic. Hope to return again to this little piece of heaven on earth. Book your trip to The Palmwood now, you won't be disappointed.

Room Tip: We loved the West Room!
1 Thank sassy5044
San Diego, California
Reviewed 27 September 2012

My husband and I enjoyed 3 restful days with Eddie at her Palmwood Inn. Fantastic breakfasts, followed by lazy days at secluded beaches nearby. After beach-casual dinners out, we enjoyed a refreshing outdoor shower, hot tub and fire under the stars. The room was small but comfortably upscale. I was disappointed that there was no mini-fridge, but a cooler was supplied. Breakfast was served in the converted garage, not the main house. It was actually well done and comfortable, so no complaints. Our only issue was wi-fi log in could be challenging, but we offered Eddie an idea to improve that situation. The extensive grounds were beautifully Hawaii and gave us the feeling of being far away from it all. I hope to return next year! Thanks for the hospitality Eddie!!

Flagstaff, Arizona
Reviewed 15 September 2012

The pictures of this place do not lie. This B&B is situated on a hilltop, on beautifully manicured grounds including various fruit trees, and offers panoramic views of the verdant hills above Moloaa Bay. The house is beautifully designed and the room (we stayed in the East suite) was immaculate, with high quality furnishings and high quality finishing touches. There was a private deck with spectacular views of the hills. We also had our own private hot tub and outdoor shower. Beach mats and a cooler are also provided. There is also a community outdoor kitchen with a grill and various kitchen items. At night, the grounds are beautifully illuminated. It is quiet, beautiful, and romantic.

To me, the breakfasts at B&Bs are always a nice amenity but nothing I get particularly excited about. Quite the contrast here. This was easily the best breakfast I have had at a B&B. This is clearly a passion of the owner, Edie, and it showed. The breakfasts offered a variety of items and were beautifully presented.

Keep in mind that this property is a few minutes drive from a small market and a few restaurants in Kilauea. Greater variety and selection of eateries and groceries are farther away in Princeville/Hanalei to the north or Kapaa toward the south.

1 Thank flg-voyager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kilauea
Koloa
Grand Hyatt Kauai Resort & Spa
Koloa
Koa Kea Hotel & Resort

Been to The Palmwood? Share your experiences!