“Mexican, really?”

Chalupa's
Ranked #18 of 47 Restaurants in Koloa
Price range: US$6 - US$10
Cuisines: Mexican
Description: SpecialtiesSpecialties includeFish and Shrimp tacosMouth watering Barbacoa and CarnitasFlavorful meat and vegetarian burritosTortasChalupasQuesedillasDaily specials like Shrimp Diabla, homemade tortillas and more Located on Weliweli Road behind Old Koloa Town. Look for the red, white, and green Chalupa's Truck.HistoryEstablished in 2011ALOHA and Bien VenidosCome to Old Koloa Town for sabrosa (tasty), authentic take out Mexican Food. We're just a stroll away from the shops of historic Old Koloa Town and about 2 miles inland from the tropical and beautiful beaches of Po'ipu.My name is Miguel and I am from Veracuz, Mexico where we have a passion for fresh meats and vegetables, flavorful spices, and hot peppers! I grew up working on my family's ranch and learned how to cook and prepare foods from my mom and abuela (grandmother). Take-out (call in or walk up) or relax in our small outdoor patio setting with limited seating (for now). An island style casual family friendly atmosphere that is fast, fresh, tasty, and also easy on the budget. We also provide catering for your special event -small or large. My goal is to satisfy your hunger while making your taste buds dance with healthy Mexican foods that you'll savor our food and want come back for more.
Reviewed 11 April 2014

I don't know what these other reviewers expect for Mexican food but this was the worst excuse for Mexican food I've had in a long time. Had the fish tacos (supposedly best on island) with rice and beans, fish tasted decent but there was no cilantro, no onions, no pico, no salsa, no flavor. The beans were like Van Camps out of a can not refried beans. The rice was plain white rice, not even close to anything considered Mexican. Don't waste you time or money. I can only hope this was an isolated event but with the rice and beans being more like a baked beans and white rice, I doubt it.

1  Thank Bret W

Reviewed 9 April 2014

I love Mexican food and am very picky about restaurants that offer good Mexican food. I am also a little leery of food trucks, but after reading the reviews my husband and I decided to try it. So glad we did! I had the fish taco combo with rice and beans and my husband had the carnitas. The fist tacos were flavorful and tender; the beans and rice were very authentic; and the servings were just right. The carnitas were very good as well. The homemade tortilla chips hit the spot as well. We each ordered a can of Coca Cola, but unfortunately they were not very cold. Nevertheless, the food was great and the outdoor picnic bench seating was a great way to start our vacation!

Reviewed 8 April 2014

We are from San Diego, CA and love our Mexican food!!! We were thrilled to find Chalupa's food truck!!! I ordered the two fish tacos with rice and beans ($12.50) and my hubby ordered the shrimp burrito ($10.00). It took a little while to get our food and ate at the outdoor tables. My tacos were made with Wahloo and were out of this world with fresh fish, great white sauce and cabbage and the most AMAZING corn tortillas!! I wish I would have ordered extra guac as it was very good! My hubby loved his burrito, a shrimp (all be it small shrimp) in every bite. We are Mexican food snobs (being from SD) and I would highly recommend this food to anyone!!! Looking forward to returning for another mex food fix before we leave the island!!

Reviewed 13 March 2014

Stopped by without checking Trip Advisor first, glad we did. Turns out it is rated highly which doesn't surprise me. We were craving some good fish tacos after a crappy experience at the Beach House down in Poipu, and were very pleased with this little truck. They weren't super fast or particularly cheap, but they were tasty. Not the best I've ever had, by a fair margin, but certainly worth a visit!

Reviewed 5 February 2014

Chalupa's fish tacos and Mexican food truck is an excellent small city option for food. The setting was off a parking lot near this small city setting. Nothing special but busy. The food however was fresh and nicely prepared and had fresh ingredients.