“First Pacific dive and memorable”
Review of Seasport Divers

Seasport Divers
More attraction details
Owner description: PADI 5-Star Dive Center providing guided dive charters off of Kauai and Ni'ihau. SCUBA certifications. Introductory SCUBA lessons daily. SCUBA & snorkel gear rental and sales. Only dive operator with two store locations on island.
Janesville, Wisconsin
143 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 250 helpful votes
“First Pacific dive and memorable”
Reviewed 24 February 2014

My family and I recently returned from our second visit to Kauai. In our group of five adults, I am the only OW cert diver. I have been OW cert for less than 2 years, and outside of WI / IL lakes and quarries I've only dove off Grand Cayman. Many people told me diving Kauai would be disappointing b/c of runoff and limited coral. I was more nervous about the prospect of not having a dive buddy, and having never dove in the Pacific.

I booked a two tank PM dive for Thursday, and was told this dive was more casual and shallower. Dive profiles for cert divers on the PM dive maxed near 70 feet, with averages near 40-50 feet. Online booking was easy and e-mail communications always received a response within 48 hours. My family was staying in Princeville, and the dive shop advised a 90 minute drive window should be ample to arrive at the 12:30pm check-in. In previous excursions to the south side of Kauai, 90 minutes has been more than enough. Unfortunately during our drive, we encountered a traffic jam in Kapaa. We managed five miles in one hour, and I couldn't do anything but watch the clock tick closer to 12:30pm. At 12:20pm with our GPS saying we were 45 minutes away (while stopped in traffic), my wife called the dive shop. I didn't catch the name of the woman my wife spoke with, but she encouraged us to continue driving and make arrangements for a partial refund if I missed the 1:00pm boat departure.

At 1:05pm, we arrived at Seasport Divers. My hopes were shattered of any diving, I assumed the boat was long gone and our trek was for nothing. Scuba gear I hauled from WI would be useless and a large deposit was gone.....and then I walked into the store. A gentleman behind the counter asked if I was Dan, and a clipboard with waiver was waiting for my signature. Staff informed me the group departed for the dock 10 minutes before my arrival, but the boat was still docked! After a quick waiver review, sizing for wetsuit and BCD, I ran outside and grabbed my dive bag. An empty van awaited me and we were on our way to the docks. I felt like a kid going on a field trip for the first time, Seasport Divers went above and beyond.

At the dock staff was friendly and understanding. Two dive masters, the boat captain and four other divers were still in the process of loading tanks and bags onto the boat. Our boat consisted of a cert group of three divers to include myself, and two newly cert divers with a DM. The boat was at least 3x the size of other dive operators, plenty of space for storing gear and making yourself comfortable. Wash stations for cameras were set up, granola bars and bottled water was self serve. I didn't mind setting up my reg / octo / dive computer I had brought from home, but other divers suggested this is usually done by staff. I did notice in Grand Cayman they handled your equipment, but I actually preferred doing it myself here. My rental equipment consisted of a BCD, wet suit, tank and weights. The rentals were name brand, well maintained and fairly priced.

Briefings were given prior to leaving the dock, and at each dive site. We dove Plate Lunch and Sheraton Caverns. Diving with honu (seaturtles) was an experience I will never forget. During our first dive at Plate Lunch, migrating humpback whales could be heard in the distance. While moving between dive sites, a pod of spinner dolphins accompanied the boat. I told the DM I never dove the Pacific and my last dive was 6 months ago, so there were some pregame jitters on my part. DM Matt S. said it's a common experience for others in my position, and within 30 seconds of hitting the water I left my worries behind. Water clarity was great, schools of fish were plenty and it made my first Pacific dive memorable.

If you're a solo diver or someone who doesn't dive 365, don't hesitate to dive Kauai with Seasport Divers. After the final dive, pick up something from their dive shop. Great diver apparel and accessories, allowing me to bring a piece of Seasport Divers back to WI. Thanks for everything!

• Finnish first
Spring, Texas
“Top Notch Operation”
Reviewed 21 February 2014

I'll admit that before walking into their store I wasn't sure I wanted to go diving. The desire was there but my wife and I were already a week and a half into our vacation and I was feeling very tired but the enthusiasm of the staff soon had me at the counter anxious to sign-up. I arrived at their facility bright and early on Monday the 17th of Feb. and met our Divemaster, Debbie, who was buzzing around getting everything ready to go. After introductions to the other four divers in our group, Debbie drove us from their facility to the boat dock in a company van where we transferred all of the equipment to the boat. At the boat we met Captain Zach, who with his carefree demeanor made you immediately feel at ease. Our dive was outstanding with us seeing all kinds of aquatic sea life, especially some really large sea turtles but the second dive was cancelled due to deteriorating sea conditions. All and all it was a great day with discounts given for only completing one of the two planned dives.
Now, up to this point, this review could be about any number of dives I've been on but here is where Debbie, Zach and Seasport Divers step above any operators I've dove with before, the briefings. I can not remember ever getting a briefing from a dive boat captain before but Captain Zach gave a very comprehensive one. He actually demonstrated how to use the life vests, the location of the rest of the safety equipment and showed us how to use the VHF radio. That may not seem all that important with the excitement of going diving but could definitely save your life that one time in a thousand that you might need it. Debbie's briefing, likewise, left no doubt to exactly what she wanted from each of us at different points in the dive and it was all to maximize safety and downtime. Sure it takes a little longer to get in the water when these necessary steps are taken but in the end I appreciate when my safety is taken so seriously.

Swisher, Iowa
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“My first certified dive”
Reviewed 10 February 2014

These guys were great! professional staff, nice dive, the Caverns were very cool, saw lots of turtle

Nyssa, Oregon
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“My open water diving / and certification experience”
Reviewed 30 January 2014

The crew was fantastic. Everyone from Captain Andy ,Master Diver Jackie, and my Diving instructor, Master Diver, Open Water Scuba Instructor Mike. I came to Kauai to get my open diving classes in, so I could get my PADI scuba diving certification. The week started with bad weather and cancellations of the dives. I was impressed that even when Sea Sports Divers stood to lose a large amount of money because of the cancellations, my life and safety were more important. My shore dives were done in two sessions because of some things that I had going on. The boat dives were with 6 other people out for a fantastic day of diving. Master Diver Jackie was great, she explained everything to her divers, such as how they would enter the water what to expect, and maybe some things they would see. Captain Andy was helpful to everyone making sure that every person there had exactly what they they needed to make their dive a pleasure. OWSI Mike was an exciting,vibrant, enthusiastic, caring individual . He really knows his stuff, he gives instruction in a way that makes learning fun. It was fun doing skills under the water and having him give you a okay with hand signs and high fives whenever I did things right. Mike has made over 2500 dives and was knowledgeable about the many things under the water. He would write things on his slate explaining what the different things were. Mike went above and beyond his job description in order to my make diving and certification experience a great one. GREAT JOB MIKE.

Visited January 2014
Seasport_Divers, Manager at Seasport Divers, responded to this review, 1 February 2014
Congratulations on getting certified! Glad to hear that even though there were some speed bumps in your road to getting certified everything worked out. I will pass on to Mike and the rest of the crew your kind words. Hope you will find the opportunity to come dive with us again! Till then.... Aloha Nui Loa
Seattle, Washington
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“THIS PLACE ROCKS!”
Reviewed 28 January 2014

I've been a certified scuba divers since 1999. I've also been blessed enough to dive ALL OVER the world and with many diving outfits. That said, I hadn't dove in almost 2 years but knew I wanted to diving during our vacation in Kauai. After looking up several dive operations, I chose this one. So incredibly glad I did.

When I called the shop, I explained that I had not been diving in almost two years. It was suggested I arrive a couple hours before the afternoon two tank dive in order to take a quick refresher course, the price of which was included as part of the two tank dive package. So, glad I did. Even though I have over a 100 logged dives, having the opportunity to get back into the grove before heading out on the boat made my afternoon dives completely relaxing and free of the "will I remember what to do after being out of the water for so long" stress.

At the end, they offered a video for purchase. Although overpriced, I decided to purchase it as nice memory of the amazing wildlife we saw that day ( a VERY pregnant reef shark).

Visited April 2013
1 Thank Toni T
Aloha Toni and mahalo for taking the time to write about your experience with Seasport Divers. We're glad that you were able to take advantage of our refresher program and get back into the groove of things. It's great that we were able to stack up to with the other dive shops you were fortunate to dive with and have an awesome time with us. Maybe your future plans will include Seasport Divers and our Ni'ihau dive that we have from May to September. Some of the best diving in the Hawaiian islands! It's a 3-tank all day charter with breakfast and lunch served onboard. Till then.... A Hui Hou