“Mahaleapu Beach Ride (CJM Stables)”

CJM Country Stables
Ranked #5 of 24 Outdoor Activities in Koloa
Grapevine, Texas
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Mahaleapu Beach Ride (CJM Stables)”
Reviewed 6 August 2014

My kids and I went on the Mahaleapu Beach Ride (CJM Stables) and were very happy with our choice. We were staying in Princeville, and while there horseback riding opportunities closer to the resort (like Princeville Ranch), the drive down to Poipu was well worth it because of the spectacular views of the coast. We had tried to book the "Secret Beach Picnic Ride," but by the time we called to make our reservations (about two weeks in advance), it had already sold out on the day we wanted to go, so we chose the Mahaleapu Beach Ride instead.

The staff was very professional and helpful from start to finish. There were probably 25 or so people there for the afternoon ride, and so they broke us into several small groups of about 8-10 riders. After getting us on horseback, we first headed down to the beach for the obligatory photo (our guide took the picture using our camera, so there was no attempt to upsell with an "official" framed photo and DVD, which was much appreciated!). Then we started heading up the trail away from the beach. At first, I thought this was going to turn into a boring ranch ride, but once we got up the hill a bit, the views of the ocean and cliffs were amazing. Circling back around (different trail), we ended up back at the beach and then headed back to the stable.

The horses were very gentle, which I certainly appreciated for my 9 year-old kids' sakes, although there were times where I thought the pace was pretty pokey, and no amount of kicking would get my horse "Stinger" to pick up his pace (which was probably for the best!). There is a bit thorny scrub along the trail, and so wearing jeans is a must. There were a few places where the trail was narrow and/or a bit steep, but the horses were all sure-footed. I had no problem taking pictures while on the move, although there were certainly quite a few opportunities to stop and shoot. Finally, there are no facilities along the way, so you should be prepared to be on the back of your horse for the full two hours.

1 Thank Bill C

Illinois
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Eye-pleasing views. Pleasant ride.”
Reviewed 31 July 2014

You’ll want to take it slow when you drive to CJM Stables – the access road is unpaved and pot-holed. The horse ride, however, was well worth it. After check-in and horse assignment, we were off on the approximate two-hour ride through diverse terrain – fields, hills, a small wood, and coastline. Yes, the ride is nose-to-tail, but that suited us well enough. Though not complete novices, neither are we veteran cowpokes. The views were quite impressive, the south shore weather cooperative, and there is something special about riding along (and at one point, knee-deep in) the ocean. We have no basis for comparison with other Kauai stables, but we had a very nice experience with CJM and would not hesitate to recommend them.

Visited June 2014
2 Thank J K
elk grove, ca
20 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“Fun experience”
Reviewed 18 July 2014

At first, I only signed up the family to go on a horseback excursion because my brother requested it as something to do while we were on the island of Kauai. Never did I expect to enjoy it so much. I'm really not one to connect with nature or animals, and as a mother of two younger girls, I have my reservations on how their experience would be. Seriously, I'm not one to invest that much if you can't guarantee they would enjoy it.

First of all, Jim, who checked us in, instantly made us feel comfortable with his sense of humor and his knowledge of our hometown back in Elk Grove. Second, Michelle, our tour guide gave us some freedom and strategies to guide our horses, but knew when to take over as needed. At some point, she had to lead my mom's horse and my daughter's horse due to their stronger wills. I know my family wasn't in any kind of danger, but there is that thrill and also that sense of not being in control that might be uncomfortable. As soon as she took control of those two horses, you could tell there was no danger at all. Third, as a parent and teacher, I really got to see how some of these horses do have different and strong personalities just like the kids I work with. Being able to see the different personalities and understand how horses are not all the same, allowed me to really enjoy the trip much more. Sure, you do get to see the mountain/valley and you get to ride by the ocean. The sights are really beautiful. I'm also appreciative that the whole time I'm riding the horse, I don't have to hike the 2 hours there and back to appreciate the view. But I really got a kick out of watching these horses' personalities. They all want to snack while on tour, and some are more strong willed than others. We all had fun on this experience and will definitely remember it for years to come.

2 Thank koshikawa
Houston, Texas
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Giddy Up!”
Reviewed 9 July 2014

After reading several reviews of all the other rides on the island, we decided to use CJM and we were not disappointed. The ride was along a beautiful coastal trail and we saw some awesome cliffs and beaches. Russell, our guide, was very knowledgeable and friendly and attentive to everyone in the group. My two 9 year olds absolutely loved it. A great ride for the whole family.

1 Thank SteveGHouston
McKinney, Texas
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“Trail ride like no other”
Reviewed 19 June 2014 via mobile

This horse trail ride is special. You ride an hour thru a secluded area on the coast, ending up in a bay that is only accessible by horse. Then an hour of play on the beach. Great time

1 Thank JCarterjr