“double check!”
Review of Hale Kua

Hale Kua
Ranked #2 of 3 Lawai B&B and Inns
Reviewed 4 August 2010

I am writing to remind those purchasing your trip online with any of the dot.coms to be sure you call directly, well in advance to ensure the reservation. My husband and I landed to be told that the owners were not aware of our booking up till about a 1/2 hour before our call. Apparently, they are notified by email, but never received?! I am still not sure who's at fault here. With no room for us, they were kind enough to transfer us to another outstanding "B&B" within the immediate area. We were very well received, yet the initial greeting was awkward; not how you want to find yourself, after 12 hours of flight with no lodging in paradise. We ended up having a private, yet fantastic time at Cozy Kauai Cottage and look forward to returning. With limited experience at Hale Kua, yet in a great local, I cautiously recommend. You'll find once settled, you really can't go wrong in friendly Kauai, Mahalo!

Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank SeekingSun007
bccow, Owner at Hale Kua, responded to this reviewResponded 11 December 2013

I agree with this couple, if you book through a dot.com, please take the time to double check! We do most of our bookings directly with guests and do a very limited number online with the various dot.coms. They notify me by email of bookings and give me no guest information other than an name and occasional phone number. Just this week I tried to contact a guest with the phone number given and reached a travel agent who never heard of us or the guest so I'm left with having another guest show up to a surprise. So please, if you book through a dot.com location, take the time to contact us at halekua.com or treefarm@halekua.com and we can introduce ourselves, send some information and directions and prevent a repeat of the shocking surprise this guest faced after a long and tiring trip to Kauai. Thanks to Chris and Theresa who also have a great place to stay!

Reviewed 28 July 2010

What a perfect place Hale Kua was for our family to stay while on vacation! It's secluded, yet minutes from the main east-west highway in south Kauai. Only about 20 minutes to the main city, Lihue, and less than that to reach the Poipu beaches. We stayed in the Coral Tree unit, which takes up the entire upper floor of the building. We found it to be quite spacious and clean. We loved the porch which encircles the entire unit, the extra beach towels, snorkeling equipment, and boogie boards. As the owners noted, though there is no air conditioning, in our ten days' stay we never felt the need for it - due to the location just a bit up in the hills.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 28 July 2010

We rented the cottage at Hale Kua B&B for our four night stay in Kaua'i, and we just loved it. it's very secluded and private, yet just minutes from great beaches, snorkeling, Na Pali boat trip, and Koloa. Cathy and Bill were super and the property is stunning (wish we'd taken more time to walk around there). It exceeded our expectations in every way!

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 July 2010

We stayed here for basically a long weekend as part of our honeymoon island tour. We absolutely loved the vacation cottage. Its perfect for two. It has everything a couple would need for a wonderful stay on Kauai. It feels incredibly private and secluded. The surrounding area is beautiful. This place really makes the most of being on the "garden isle" with beautiful flowers and fruit trees all over the property.
While the kitchen is plenty nice for cooking, we hardly used it with the Kalaheo Cafe just 5 minutes down the road. Wonderful coffee and bakery for the mornings. The location is fairly central for seeing all of this small island. Great for an early morning visit to Kokee or easy to get to the Ne Pali coast hike in a couple hours. The entire rest of the island lies in between. We stayed at the Moana Surfrider in Honolulu, and a ginormous, updated, condo directly on the beach (literally walk out the back door 10 feet) on Kaanapali in Maui, and my wife and I both agree that this was our favorite place. It really captures what Kauai is all about. Its so much better than a large resort.
The owners were on a trip the entire time we stayed there, so we never met them. But they were so friendly and accommodating with our schedule and travel plans. It pains me to recommend this to everyone so strongly because I would like to just move in to the vacation cottage and live there. Hopefully someday soon, we can find our way back.

Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank addlime
Reviewed 3 June 2010

We had a great time staying here. It's not a bed and breakfast, so no food and we never met a single other person, (which we loved). There is no shared part of the house. And I guess Bill and Cathy don't live in this house because we never met them either. They just left us a key... we were able to check in early and stay a little later. We appreciated their flexibility. We felt like we were in our own home. It's so private, and relaxing. We stayed in the Banana Patch. What a great size. It's surrounded by trees... A really Nice bedroom (and comfortable), Big Bathroom, Living Room, Kitchen (with everything you could need) even a washer and dryer! It's really close to Poipu Beach/Spouting Horn. Wish we had stayed longer... wish we could live there : ) It was really great!

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank hyperchick406
Reviewed 22 March 2010

I must give credit for this find, to my brother who located this little piece of heaven in Kauai over 10 years ago and introduced it to me. This was my 3rd visit to Hale Kua...but the first time that we stayed in the largest unit (The Coral Patch).In the past, my husband and I always had a single unit, but this time we came with friends and shared the large unit on top. I was a little concerned about sharing space with our friends as our stay was for 3-l/2 weeks., but my fears were unfounded. There was so much room available that even the kitchen work area could accomodate two cooks (and sometimes even three) and we often took full advantage of the grill outside. The view from the upper deck was wonderful and I loved sitting out there in the morning and reading the newspaper. It was only a 15 minute drive to some of the nicest beaches for swimming and snorkeling....especially during the winter. The units each had sand chairs, coolers, beach umbrellas and "gigumbus" beach towels. Having a washer and dryer in each unit is a plus. The owners could not have been nicer. You could feel their aloha spirit. And don't let the lack of air conditioning put you off....you are so high up in the trees and there are sliding glass doors with screens from all directions. My husband actually asked me if I would turn off the air conditioning one day. I am looking forward to my return trip in 2011 when I have reserved all of the units so that we can come with our children and their spouses. We can hardly wait to show them beautiful Kauai and Hale Kua.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled with friends
1  Thank German-Slovak
Reviewed 12 January 2010

My husband and I had a great time at Hale Kua - stayed in the Taro Patch for 6 days and enjoyed every minute. It was a perfect retreat from the tourist condos on the beach. Hale Kua is surrounded by tropical forest so you feel secluded and part of the natural surroundings. We had a wraparound porch and lots of space. We helped ourselves to the tangerines and limes from the trees on the property.. how cool! We had everything we needed there- iron, hair dryer, pots/pans, movies, boogie boards, beach chairs, and many condiments that were helpfully left over from other guests. Turn on the fan at night so you won't be awakened by the wild roosters - they're all over Kauai! Hale Kua is located just off of Rte 50 - the main road in Kauai. It's about 15 minutes to Poipu beach and about an hour to Hanalei. The owners are so friendly and interesting. I'd highly recommend it.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lawai
Westin Princeville Ocean Resort Villas
Hanalei Bay Resort
Hanalei Bay Resort
#1 of 4 in Princeville
St. Regis Princeville Resort

Been to Hale Kua? Share your experiences!