“Delightful inn and innkeepers!”

Marjorie's Kauai Inn
Ranked #1 of 3 Lawai B&B and Inns
Loveland, Ohio
“Delightful inn and innkeepers!”
Reviewed 24 January 2014

You can have the hotels in congested areas - this place was a refreshing breath of Kauai country breeze! Sitting high on a hilltop overlooking the picturesque, historic Valley of Compassion in rural Kauai, this B&B has everything you could need to relax after a day of exploration - saltwater lap pool, hot tub, charming views and charming innkeepers. Alexis and Mike are quick to accommodate with the best breakfasts and friendly attention I remember having at a B&B, as well as experienced advice on the island - even have trekking poles, beach chairs and coolers with ice, boogie boards etc. This place will make you smile for choosing it! There is plenty of privacy and it's close enough to the main road to be convenient. Can't wait to try their place in Costa Rica!

Room Tip: The Sunset Room is spacious and clean with a killer view - makes you feel like you're in the mai...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
Honolulu, Hawaii
Reviewed 5 January 2014

The island of Kauai itself is magical and Marjorie's is a perfect reflection of it. It's impossible to decide a favorite thing about this place. Is it the majestically panoramic views and the historical and mystical valley they're nestled in? Is it the thoughtful, gracious, detail-oriented innkeepers? Thier connections or the above-and-beyond amenities? The incredible energy of the place? How about the mouth-watering breakfast complemented by the luscious view and the delightful company? Perhaps the beautifully appointed rooms and every nook and cranny of the inn itself? If you're lucky enough to be there when the incredible proprietors are there, is it them? Who knows. I'm just glad I found it. Truly nirvana. Right there at the Inn on the hill in that valley in Lawai. One of my favorite places on earth.

Room Tip: They're all amazing in their own way but of course having your own hot tub....
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
Yaphank, New York
Reviewed 4 January 2014 via mobile

My husband and I stayed in the Sunset Room from 12/25/13 until 1/1/14. We were so sad to leave because we were returning to a foot of snow back in New York! The room was clean, had a great view and we loved the hot tub. At times, we could hear the roosters and sometimes people in the adjoining rooms, but that is part of staying in Kaui and at a bed and breakfast.
We didn't have Alexis or Mike but to our surprise guest innkeepers Luanne and Gary. They were very nice. Gary makes a good fruit salad and 4x as a bonus he made a hot treat for breakfast mainly for husband who loves eggs, pancakes and French toast. Gary also spent a lot of time each day giving us suggestions of things to do.
I took advantage of many things in the garage a day pack, water shoes, and chairs (thank you for providing
them). I also used the washer and dryer before leaving for New York (Thank you Luanne).
I am a "walker" and felt very safe in the neighborhood walking around. I even met an 82 year old man on their block that gave me tangerines from his tree, and JR the landscaper that told me all about the property.
My only suggestion which I related to Luanne was maybe if a guest innkeeper is substituted the arriving guest can just receive an email stating so. I like Gary very much, but was unsure of who he was until he further explained himself. However, please only take this as a suggestion. Overall ...great place we will be
back to visit and thank you again! Elaine and Wayne Long Island New York :)

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Elaine R
Grand Junction, Colorado
Reviewed 4 January 2014

When we travel, we prefer to stay in B&Bs. The small size, good breakfasts, and personal interactions, both with our hosts and with other guests, enhance the experience of any trip.

Our stay at Marjorie's Christmas-New Year, 2013-14, was the very best of all of our B&B experiences. We stayed three nights at Marjorie's, then spent four days beachside and enjoyed it, but we looked forward to returning to Marjorie's for the final two days. The accommodations are most comfortable, our hosts, Louanne and Gary seemed like old friends from the very first day, their recommendations for beaches and restaurants were spot on and Gary's breakfasts were always healthy (nutritious, fresh, and large). It's only a ten minute drive to some of the best beaches or 30 minutes to the foot of Weimea Canyon and Marjorie's is most generous with towels, beach chairs, snorkle and picnic gear. The view of the valley from the lanai in each room is marvelous--including a rainbow each of our five mornings.

We cannot recommend Marjorie's any higher. We will stay at Marjorie's when we return to Kuaii.

Room Tip: All three rooms are on the same side, with lanais overlooking the mountains and valley.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank williamhS4270EY
Sydney
Reviewed 31 December 2013

Majories was 5 nights well spent. As first time visitors to the island we were very happy with the choice.
After we arrived Alexis was able to provide great advice on where to go as well as places to eat. Lots of tips that made things a little easier and that much more enjoyable. The garage is full of gear that you are able to make use of. There is also a washer and dryer that we were able to use.
We talked with Alexis about a helicopter flight around the island. A company was recommended and Alexis took care of the booking for us. All part of the service.
Breakfast was plentiful and great quality. Mike does a great job here. Eating out on the Lani was very comfortable. Lovely views. It is a great time to meet up with other travellers. We met people from Germany, various states of the US and fellow Aussies.
We particularly enjoyed sitting with Mike and Alexis, chatting and enjoying a coffee.
Some people we met were staying a few nights on either side of the island. We found basing ourselves at Marjories for the duration of our stay worked just fine.

Mike and Alexis are fantastic hosts. Thank you.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Lubbock, Texas
Reviewed 23 December 2013

We were SO VERY BLESSED to find Marjorie's Kauai Inn available during our time on the Island.
It was truly an experience of a lifetime! Perfectly manicured landscape in the most beautiful environment. Wonderful food, Friendly Hosts that were extremely helpful in sharing information about the Island and best places to visit. The relaxing, amazingly beautiful, atmosphere made it hard to leave, yet has made our stay one of the best memories ever!
Staying at Marjorie's B&B will always be in our plans when we visit Kauai in the future.
We feel we have discovered a true Hawaiian treasure.

Room Tip: Views are amazing on all levels of the Inn. Clean, Comfortable, Relaxing, and Quiet throughout.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Anchorage, Alaska
Reviewed 19 December 2013

I'm a repeat visitor to Marjorie's and cannot imagine visiting Kauai without staying here if rooms are available. And if they're not, I'll still stop by to say hello because you just never know who you'll meet and what will come of that.

This trip, for example, I ended up meeting a local gal named Susan who does Auyervedic massage. You can reach her at alohavedausa dot com or have the innkeepers call to schedule. I did that this trip and had my massage right here at the B & B. Wonderful. Other trips I've met folks from all over the world and have maintained contact with them for years. There's an intimacy here that is unique and conducive to conversation. I like it very much.

The innkeepers have also scheduled activities for me based on their experience, the experiences of their guests, and knowledge of the local area. It costs guests nothing more than it would otherwise and sometimes even less, but you have the added convenience of basically having your own personal secretary schedule your activities. It's fun!

This trip I stayed in the Valley View room and it does offer a breathtaking 180-degree view of the valley. Pictures won't do it justice. Imagine getting up in the morning and having a cup of tea or coffee while relaxing in your bathrobe on your private (and expansive) lanai. You're watching the moon set behind the hills in the distance while the sun rises behind you. It is magical. It's so relaxing that it makes it tough to leave your sanctuary to do anything else, but you'll at least want to head upstairs for breakfast and conversation.

If you read some other reviews you'll know that their breakfasts are legendary, delicious, and unique. I stay in bed and breakfasts, hotels, and inns around the world all the time. Where else do they offer all that they do at Marjorie's? I don't find this anywhere anymore. The only thing they promise here is the continental, but on the days you're lucky enough to sample their cooking you'll be delighted. I promise. They're very good about accommodating unique dietary requirements and Mike's a vegetarian, so if you're in to that sort of thing, this is a great place for you.

By the way, Mike and Alexis have redone some of their flooring in the rooms and I don't think that's reflected in the pictures. It's beautiful.

Thanks as always to Mike and Alexis for providing a great experience. I'll be back soon.

Room Tip: There's not much to be done about crowing roosters anywhere in Hawaii outside of the high traffi...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank ANCtrvlr
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lawai
Garden Island Inn
#1 of 11 in Lihue
Kauai Beach Resort
#4 of 11 in Lihue
Marriott's Waiohai Beach Club
Grand Hyatt Kauai Resort & Spa
Koa Kea Hotel & Resort

Been to Marjorie's Kauai Inn? Share your experiences!