“Great Place”

Ranked #1 of 11 Hotels in Lihue
Minnesota
“Great Place”
Reviewed 27 March 2014

My wife and I stayed in room 21. Top floor, corner room (no elevator), lots of room, kitchen, nice wrap around lanai that looks across a road towards a park and beach area. Restaurants and shopping within short walking distance. Beautiful gardens surround the hotel. Nice place, nice price!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank WFP
steve l, Owner at Garden Island Inn, responded to this review, 1 April 2014
Our compliments to you for great vacation pictures! We are so happy you enjoyed the art and tropical beauty of the gardens. We strive to provide extraordinary guest service and provisions for your comfort. We are sp glad you appreciated the great value!! Thank you so much for staying with us . We look forward to your return.
Mahalo, Lis & Steve Layne

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (211)
Shawnee, KS
Reviewed 24 March 2014

I will never stay anywhere else on Kauai until I purchase my own place. There were three of us for 4 nights in the one bedroom suite. The wrap-around lanaii was awesome. Very comfortable beds and the kitchen was more than adequate for us. Even the stairs to the third floor were not to steep for us old folks. Location is very good for restaurants and convenience.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank zackkirby
steve l, Owner at Garden Island Inn, responded to this review, 26 March 2014
Never stay anywhere else till you buy a place, what a hugh compliment! THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!! We are always making improvements to beautify, and make our guest comfortable. Your next visit you will find additional pillows on the beds, electrical outlets to charge devices by table tops, blackout blinds to darken rooms, and new artistic touches. Your review made our day. Visit Kauai again soon! Aloha, Lis & Steve Layne
Bemidji, Minnesota, United States
Reviewed 18 March 2014

We are very satisfied with our recent one week’s stay at the Garden Island Inn. Very close to the airport (less than a 10 minute drive), centrally located near the harbor in Lihue, shops for sundries & tourist stuff across the street, many restaurants in easy walking distance, across the road from a nice park and a very nice swimming beach – this small, friendly inn is exactly as advertised. It’s very well maintained, housekeeping is top notch, staff are friendly & courteous & informative, and the rooms are full of bright tropical decor (by local artists). As mentioned in other reviews, you are just off a major thoroughfare; noise from traffic is omnipresent. Seriously. If you wish for silence or to hear only ocean waves breaking in the background, or if you plan to spend your days sitting in your room or on your lanai, or if you desire the big resort experience, look elsewhere. We spent all daylight hours traveling the island; all points are relatively close to Lihue. E.G., A gorgeous beach at Lydgate State Park is only a 10-15 minute drive; even nicer beaches are just a half hour away up past Kapa’a. Basically, we had breakfast in our room, left for the day, and returned after (or with) dinner. For our agenda, this friendly, value-oriented hotel served our needs admirably. Note: I strongly recommend the Orchid Suites on the upper level.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank JSS_BJI
steve l, Owner at Garden Island Inn, responded to this review, 20 March 2014
The staff enjoyed hearing about your Kauai adventures and suggesting sights to explore. Sharing your discoveries of the beauty of the island is a gift to us. We were happy to accommodate your stay by providing a hot plate for your convience in your room, and a day use late checkout.
Glad the 3rd floor room which has partial ocean views, vaulted ceilings, and tranquil sounds of the waterfall, was a good choice for your week stay.
We are adding additional pillows, room darkening shades, and turning off the outside landscape lighting at 11PM, to enhance the sleep quality to all of our guests. Thank you so much for your review. Please return soon, we enjoyed your visit! Aloha, Lis & Steve Layne
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 17 March 2014

We stayed here for a week, retirees fleeing Vancouver's rain. Booked late and only a ground floor room - # 4 - was available, but it met our needs. Amply (and colourfully) furnished, plenty of storage space, very comfortable beds, mini-kitchenette with coffee maker, mini-fridge and microwave, very clean and the room was kept spotless by the cleaning staff, any complementary beverages, etc. used were immediately replaced. Cable TV and DVD player in room. Fan and A/C worked fine if needed. Wi-fi at good strength and free, as also was car parking. Lighting levels were good - they are so often poor in hotels and motels. Lacking the lanai of the upper floors, we could still sit out in chairs in the beautiful garden right outside our door. By day the hotel is whimsically attractive, and by night, prettily illuminated.

The office staff were wonderful, welcoming and efficient and an endless source of dependable advice. Moreover, you can borrow beach towels, mats and chairs, boogie boards and other beach items, fins, snorkel equipment, bug spray and DVDs (a good selection), all for free. Complimentary coffee-and-something-to-nibble (pastries, cookies, etc., depending on the time of day) seemed to be continuously available.

Location is ideal for a first-time Kaua'i visitor. Two small malls are near at hand with pleasant eateries (we liked Kalapaki Joe's, Kalapaki Beach Hut and Duke's, and there are plenty of others), a convenience store, a tour operator, ice cream parlour, gift shops, etc. It's about a $10-12 taxi ride from the airport., but to go anywhere off the main roads you really need a car. On the road in front of the hotel you can pick up a Kaua'i bus back to the airport to get one - or use it to go, within limits, further up- or down-island. With a car, access to Kaua'i's many delights and amenities is a breeze.

There is some noise from the busyish road in front of the hotel, but it quietens at night and did not affect our sleep. A small waterfall behind the hotel provides a gentle susurrus. Kaua'i's ubiquitous roosters are more likely to wake you in the morning. If it's still a few minutes to dawn, grab your camera, cross the road, walk across the playing field to the seawall and if you are lucky you will get pictures of a jaw-dropping sunrise across Kalapaki Bay, to e-mail home and be envied for.

Did we like it? You betcha! Would we go back? In a heartbeat!

Room Tip: Read the reviews, ask the office staff regarding any concerns, and book early!
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank 154943John_H
steve l, Owner at Garden Island Inn, responded to this review, 19 March 2014
Thank you so much for your review. You described the hotel and your delightful experiences splendidly, we are so glad you found us and spent a week! We agree booking your room with our front desk staff insures your comfort and needs can best be met. The room sizes, bed configurations, deciding on 1st, 2nd, or 3rd floor, and various costs per room, can be described and explained by our reservationist and make the room fit your needs. Hope to see you at the Garden Island Inn Hotel and experience more of Kauai's beauty soon! Sincerely, Lis & Steve Layne
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 16 March 2014 via mobile

This place is awesome for the price. The 1BR suite had almost as much balcony space wrapping around it as floor space inside. All kinds of free beach gear to borrow. I mean this place had big-bulbed Christmas lights all over the building in March. What more can I say?!

Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank cudabh
steve l, Owner at Garden Island Inn, responded to this review, 18 March 2014
Mahalo for staying with us! The art boutique style suits us and we are so glad you enjoyed your room and lana. We are delighted to offer the NO resort fee for parking, internet, beach gear, even provide free coffee and pie in the morning to start your day and free room videos, games, and use of BBQ and picnic area to end the day.
WE have decided to change out the Christmas lights on the railings to blue rope lighting which will curl like a wave across the balconies. Please come back during the holidays as we go crazy with our landscape lighting!! Plus you can see surfing Santa and his paddling Elves at Kalapaki Beach.
We promise to keep our ALOHA spirit and hope you keep you vacation smiles, Thank you so very much for your comments. Sincerely, Lis & Steve Layne
Memphis, Tennessee
Reviewed 16 March 2014

We had a great stay. We only stayed a single night on the evening we arrived on Kauai. Everyone we dealt with was extremely helpful and friendly. The room was clean and colorful and the location was great – especially after a long day of flying. It was very convenient to only drive 5 minutes from the airport. After a week on the island, we realized what a beautiful area Kalapaki Beach is. We also enjoyed the grounds of the Inn – very peaceful and lots of birds. We will recommend your hotel to anyone traveling to Kauai.

Room Tip: We stayed on the front (road) side and it was fine. It might be quieter on the back side.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
steve l, Owner at Garden Island Inn, responded to this review, 20 March 2014
Wow, so glad you found us and enjoyed the beauty of Kalapaki Beach and our hotel. We delight in our guests be it one night or weeks. My husband and I strive to take ordinary and make extraordinary every chance we get. Mahalo, Lis & Steve Layne
Honolulu
Reviewed 14 March 2014

I recently had the opportunity to spend a night at the Garden Island Inn while on a weekend business trip in Lihue. This was the perfect spot to wind down after a long day. I just wish I'd been able to spend more time. Luckily I live in Honolulu so it's just a hop away.

I made my reservation a couple of weeks in advance and was greeted cordially and graciously on the phone. The conversation was not at all like talking to a harried reservation clerk and more like talking with a friend I hadn't met yet. All my concerns were taken care of during the call and I felt confident I'd found the right place.

After my business meetings I had no trouble find the hotel, the directions I was given were perfect, and I was treated with much aloha at the desk. The hotel itself is wonderfully quirky and definitely has personality to spare. These are my favorite kind of places, far from the sterile chain hotel feel. This place felt cared for and loved by its owners and staff.

My room was clean and comfortable. There was the sound of water flowing through the back windows and that was both pleasant and useful in keeping other sounds down. It's not that noisy to being with, but with the sound of water I was definitely relaxed from the get go.

Across the street is the lovely Nawiliwili Park and harbor. As I'd checked in before sundown I went across the street and took in a wonderful view and a very pleasant evening. Next to the park is the small shopping and restaurant complex that can take care of any dining and last minute needs. I had a great dinner, some delicious gelato, and went back to the room for a wonderful night's rest.

I checked out fairly early in the morning and, as I'd overslept a bit, wasn't able to avail myself of of the coffee offered for free in the office but I'm sure it was tasty.

I definitely recommend this place as an alternative to chain hotels and places that could be anywhere in the world. The Garden Island Inn is a place I'll return to and recommend to my friends. The only thing I'd change is the amount of time I had, next time I'll stay longer.

Aloha

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
steve l, Owner at Garden Island Inn, responded to this review, 16 March 2014
Mahalo for your review, nice to have Kama- aina guests staying with us. The hotel is our home and only business a true labor of love the past 30 years. The fact that you appreciate our uniqueness, professional standards, incredible aloha staff, and prime location excites us. Look forward to the opportunity to talk story with you, your next trip, perhaps with morning coffee & pie! Thank you for staying with us.
Aloha, Steve & Lis Layne
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lihue
Kauai Beach Resort
#4 of 11 in Lihue
4.0 of 5 bubbles 2,244 reviews
Koloa
Grand Hyatt Kauai Resort & Spa
Koloa
Koa Kea Hotel & Resort

Been to Garden Island Inn? Share your experiences!