Like many others, we needed a place to stay for two nights until our five night Marriott package kicked in. We found the Garden Island Inn here on Trip Advisor and decided to give it a try. What a great find! Okay - rooms are small, hand sewn curtains don't exactly fit the windows, and your bedspread looks like it's straight from Sears. In short, no frilly, all funky, but a hip funky! If you can live with that, you'll love it here. The hosts are great, and as has been mentioned, you can borrow coolers, boogie boards and beach chairs for your short walk across the street to Kalapaki beach in front of the Marriott Beach Club. We had a second floor room with a nice lanai, but the "ocean view" is first parking lot, then street, then park, then ocean, so don't expect to feel the salt spray on your cheek. Personally, I'd opt for the cheaper garden room since the garden is green and peaceful (but small) and is just as close to the beach. Koi ponds are beautiful (with baby koi!) and the hand painted doors to each room lend a very charming feel. We totally lucked out by staying 9/7 which happened to be the owner's 20th anniversary of purchasing the hotel. We were invited to a luau that night which was so real and local we felt honored being a part of it. Whole roasted pig, huge feast, live music = pure magic. You may not get that experience, but it speaks to the heart of the management. Enjoy Duke's Canoe Club across the street at the Marriott for relatively cheap eats and tasty drinks, and the Beach Shack up the street for good cheap coffee and breakfast. The only down side of the Garden Island Inn was no pool - I'm a lounge chair lizard, and I like my pool time. Still, for the price it's a gem if you're looking for a great location for a home base.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Garden Island Inn is a quaint, affordable boutique hotel by the lovely Kalapaki Beach and Bay, the Kauai Marriott and Lagoons and the Nawiliwili Harbor. Kalapaki Beach offers safe surfing, stand up paddle boarding, canoing, kayaking, sailing for beginners to intermediate, fishing or just plain relaxing and sunning.This is Kauai's center for shopping, live music and dining with a choice of 10 of Kauai's finest restaurants all within a short leisurely walking distance from the Garden Island Inn Hotel.The Garden Island Inn has quick and easy access from the Lihue Airport and to all the sights and activities Kauai has to offer. Let us be your home away from home while you discover Kauai! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, TripOnline SA, Ebookers, Travel Republic (UK), getaroom.com, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly and Cancelon so you can book your Garden Island Inn Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Garden Island Hotel Lihue
- Garden Island Lihue
- Garden Island Inn Hotel Kauai, HI