“Quaint only goes so far”

Garden Island Inn Hotel
Ranked #1 of 11 Hotels in Lihue
Reviewed 1 July 2014

We recently stayed at the Garden Island Inn, and I was not impressed. Room 15 was very small. My husband could not even get out of the bed on his side because the bed was right against the wall. The box springs looked like something we would find in a dump. I didn't look at the mattress or pillows because I was afraid I would never lay down if I did. Room so tight there was not room to open suitcases. Navy towels. I don't know if they were clean or not. Mold on grout in the shower. Balcony so small only one person could sit there at a time. Very noisy with the road traffic. I am not a person to write a review, but after all the positive reviews I read before booking, I wanted to give my impressions. I can say that the people who worked there were very nice, friendly, and helpful.

Room Tip: Don't choose Room 15
2  Thank Deborah C
steve l, Owner at Garden Island Inn Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 July 2014

We want to stress the importance of calling the hotel for your room selection, not booking on line, as all of the rooms and suits vary in size and shape. Room 15 is a small corner room perfect for a single person or two persons for a short stay. The bed does have a new mattress, superior mattress pad, and new pillows. The house keeping staff takes care with every room, as well as all rooms are checked before every guests arrival. This room was too small for your comfort and we may have been able to change your reservation to another room had you addressed your concern upon your arrival. Thank you for staying with us. We are glad the staff made you feel welcome and provided good service. Sincerely, Lis & Steve Layne

Reviewed 25 June 2014

The stayed in the Banyan harbour apartments which the Garden Island Inn lets. The service is great, with complementary beach gear which was great. The decor in the apartment is very Hawaiian which I liked. Some of the kitchen ware was a bit dated. We did go over to the Marriott and enjoy the amazing pools...no one seemed to mind. We brought drinks and food from the poolside grill and swam with a sea turtle in the bay. One of the pools is for kids...with a little waster slide....all good for my 7 and 5 year old.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family

Thank you for your review. The Banyon Harbor Condo option is a great choice when traveling with children. The 2 bedrooms one & 1/2 bath with full kitchen and decks allows your group to spread out and still enjoy all of the Garden Island Inn services and location. Kalapaki Beach is enjoyed by our neighbor the Marriott Resort and timeshare and Marriott Lagoon golf course! It is a beautiful bay with every beach amenity, lessons, rentals, restaurants and shops! We are so glad you enjoyed your stay, looking forward to your next visit. Aloha, Lis & Steve Layne

Reviewed 24 June 2014

Anyone who has flown to Kauai from East of California knows that the travel day is a killer! Having never stayed in Lihue and needing a place just for one night, it made sense to find one near the airport. Boy was I happy to have found the Garden Island Inn. I had been to Kauai before but my young adult sons had not. This was a great place to stay for the first night. It's kitschy, artsy, friendly, comfortable and best of all, walking distance to Kalipaki Joe's, that has great Poke btw! The folks that run the hotel are great and happy to help you make the best of your stay on the island.

Room Tip: We got room 20, upstairs, by the waterfall, nice balcony to relax and unwind on. Or enjoy coffee as...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family

So glad room 20 was a good choice for you and your adult sons on your first night. Your enthusiasm about great Poki makes us smile and hungry. We are spoiled to have such a good selection of Poki on Kauai with so many variation and preparations We hope the rest of your stay on Kauai was great fun. Thanks for the nice review. Your response movatates us to keep the Garden Island Inn filled with Aloha. Mahalo Lis & Steve Layne

Reviewed 21 June 2014

We stayed 4 nights here and loved it! The orchid suite room had plenty of space and a nice balcony with a view of the water. The room was clean and also had a small fridge and microwave. It is an easy walk to several restaurants and the beach. The hotel has all the beach gear one might need. We loved the location as it was central to the island making it easy for us to explore both the north and south ends of the island during our stay. The staff were all very friendly and helpful. We would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: The orchid suite was great and comfortable, but also on the 3rd floor so you must be willing to clim...
1  Thank Jen G
steve l, Owner at Garden Island Inn Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 June 2014

Mahalo for the wonderful review. We are happy you enjoyed your stay! Our greatest compliment is your repeat business and referrals! We have staff around at the hotel who can help with luggage carry up and down steps to the rooms just ask at the front desk. Looking forward to your return visit and new adventures to enjoy on the Garden Island - Kauai.
Warm Aloha, Lis & Steve Layne

Reviewed 16 June 2014

We had great experience at Garden Island Inn. I am a light sleeper, but I slept like a baby here: it's close to the road, but the waterfall and the air conditioning helped block the noise; the bed was big ([California] King size) and super comfortable. I am usually picky about house decorations, but I find the colorful decoration in this hotel not gaudy at all, only bringing me ease. It is also clean, and the location is great: 7-minute drive to the airport, and close to the ocean, which is just across the road. The ABC store and a few restaurants (including DUKE's beach house, which I do NOT recommend) are steps away. We stayed on the third/top floor, room #19, and it's pretty spacious. Overall, I am satisfied with our stay in this lovely hotel. The only suggestion I have is that the plastic utensils should be replaced with durable ones, for the plastic ones seem like disposable products, but they do not look like cheaply made thin plastics, so I wasn't sure whether I should just throw them away or wash them (whether the house lady threw them away after we left or not, I don't know)---why don't provide us with normal durable silverwares and be earth friendly?

Room Tip: We stayed in orchid room #19, which has a king-size bed; you can hear road noise (I believe every ro...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
steve l, Owner at Garden Island Inn Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 June 2014

Aloha, we are so glad you found your stay with us to be clean, comfortable, and delightful! WE love Camile Fontain's art which adorns the rooms, walls, doors, and even the mailbox! The tropical, island vib, and culture of Hawaii, is present in the waterfall, koi ponds, gardens, and entire staff. Typically we do dispose of the plastic silverware, but reuse the durable plastic plates and bowls which are in every room. We do use more "green" disposable paper plates,& cups and will research a moer recyclable style of silverware. Every room has a blue recyclable bin which recycles plastic, cans, & cardboard. This year we are adding electric solar panels to the roof to capture the suns energy saving our resources. Thank you for sharing you good eye for the details with us!! Happy journeys! Mahalo, Lis & Steve Layne

Reviewed 15 June 2014

We need somewhere close to the airport. This inn is small and had good reputation in Tripadvisor. Anyway we arrived the inn and the front desk lady assign a room for us. My wife and I stayed in that room only 5 mins but we were bothered by mosquito. We have to ask the lady again if they have another room. She understood the situation and upgraded us to a upstairs family room without additional charge. The room is really nice and we were not bothered by mosquito again during the whole stay. The room is clean and looks artistic, close to the beach and shopping area.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

We are so glad you found us on Tripadvisor, and can agree with the excellent rating that Tripadvisor has bestowed upon us. Your comfort is key, so glad you told us of the mosquitoes, so we could remedy the room situation. Thank you for telling us immediately when something was troublesome, we all really do care about you, and the standards at the hotel .Our location close to the airport, across from Kalapaki Beach, mid distance to explore the island north or south shore, is a true asset.

Mahalo, we hope to welcome back to our hotel soon! Lis & Steve Layne

Reviewed 14 June 2014

we have stayed here twice in the last year and just feel so relaxed and very accommodated, the warm welcoming of the best people and the over and beyond I have never seen in all my stays in the biggest 5 star hotels ever!!! I would recommend this lovely,small hotel over any big resort in a minute!! luv you all that made our trip a memory forever. see you all soon in the future

Room Tip: love love room on third floor suite
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
steve l, Owner at Garden Island Inn Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 June 2014

All of us here at this lovely small hotel send our sincere mahalo for your appreciation of us and your home away from home stay! WE are glad you love to experience Kauai, many guest find our location ideal for discovering the hidden treasures, sightseeing by boat, car, or helicopter. Kalapaki Beach across from the hotel is a great find, uncrowded, clean, protected waters, with all the beach gear, and services available!
We strive hard to be an artsy, boutique, independent, hotel that provides 5 star accommodations.
Looking forward to your next trip to this tropical island paradise.
Aloha, Lis & Steve Layne

Also consider these accommodations in or near Lihue
Kauai Beach Resort
The Kauai Inn
The Kauai Inn
#6 of 11 in Lihue
Hilton Garden Inn Kauai Wailua Bay

Been to Garden Island Inn Hotel? Share your experiences!